Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Marco Alves wrote:Martin Witmarsh said McLaren had a little change in the difuser for Canadian GP, this was the best foto I cud find but cant see anything diferent.

Look at the F-Duckt slit also. Again a new position.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

If it aint broke dont fix it!!! Pointless the Macca copying the RB, its a completly different car. Macca are developing their car their way and its clearly working for them! Bring on SIlverstone

PlatinumZealot

Holm86 wrote:
Marco Alves wrote:Martin Witmarsh said McLaren had a little change in the difuser for Canadian GP, this was the best foto I cud find but cant see anything diferent.

Look at the F-Duckt slit also. Again a new position.
Yes the split is much lower than before. Wonder why.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wesley123
wesley123

I believe they just increased the hole size of the diffuser, wich makes that huge exit actually useful. I remember to have read about A3 paper sized holes, maybe mclaren added such thing? It explains their sudden increase in pace.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

spinmastermic wrote:
Yeah, I assumed aero package, but it'll probably be a complete aero/mech package. Anyway he claimed it would be in the order of 0.5 seconds. I remember last year Red Bull brought a huge update to Silverstone and basically had the fastest car thereafter. It will be interesting to see if they do the same again.[/quote]

Maybe not. The Silverstone Red Bull was the first one with a propper double diffuser. The 25 needs a cleaner exhaust package. The bumps are ugly.[/quote]

Since when did ugliness matter?! If its fast it doesn't matter what it looks like!

Really wondering what is in store for the British grand prix on this car.
I'd like to see the exhaust-diffuser system like the RB's - wouldn't hurt to test it.

Michiba
Michiba

The F-Duct slit doesn't span across the entire wing now. Is this to increase the pressure coming out of the slit?

spinmastermic

dannyteasdale wrote:
spinmastermic wrote:
Yeah, I assumed aero package, but it'll probably be a complete aero/mech package. Anyway he claimed it would be in the order of 0.5 seconds. I remember last year Red Bull brought a huge update to Silverstone and basically had the fastest car thereafter. It will be interesting to see if they do the same again.
Maybe not. The Silverstone Red Bull was the first one with a propper double diffuser. The 25 needs a cleaner exhaust package. The bumps are ugly.[/quote]

Since when did ugliness matter?! If its fast it doesn't matter what it looks like!

Really wondering what is in store for the British grand prix on this car.
I'd like to see the exhaust-diffuser system like the RB's - wouldn't hurt to test it.[/quote]

I meant ugly from an aero point of view.
Hopefully we'll see a nice new clean rear end.

wesley123
wesley123

doubtful, the bumps are there because the rear end is so tight, completely folded over it, you cant simply remove those. I would rather think they change the way of the cooling exits, for example like red bull does, or gills.

An RBR style exhaust? 100% sure it wont come, there simply isnt any space for it at the back.

Holm86

According to some the MP4-25 will run low RB-style exhaust at silverstone.

wesley123
wesley123

Holm86 wrote:According to some the MP4-25 will run low RB-style exhaust at silverstone.
Yes, same is said about most other cars, doing so will require a coplete exhaust rebuilt wich wasnt needed with the red bull.

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

wesley123 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:According to some the MP4-25 will run low RB-style exhaust at silverstone.
Yes, same is said about most other cars, doing so will require a coplete exhaust rebuilt wich wasnt needed with the red bull.

It wouldn't hurt to test it, at least then its something to work on for next year.
Unless they have a stone wall reason as to not test I cant see them not trying it.

It could be the same with the f-duct for the other teams - The other teams just cant get it to work, whereas the MP4-25 has the Chassis built around it.

ringo

wesley123 wrote:
Just cut some pipes, get a welder, do a little harmonic analysis, no biggie. :wink:

All they have to do really is ram exhaust over the diffuser, that's the aim. If they build it it has to work.
There is copy cat thead in the general chat section, and no one thought the redbull exhuast could be copied. Well now it is, and it's an easy thing to copy.
It will work too, but i don't know if it will work as effectively as RBR's.

About the bumps on the car, the car is better off with smooth body work over it. That slight increase in volume comes with reduced skin area, and also steadier flow over the car. The shrink wrap thing only works if the flow is not overly disrupted.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Will the exhaust / diffuser 'trick' be allowed next year? If not, another blind alley of wasted resources for all of the teams.

If it is allowed, perhaps linking to a KERS system might allow the engine to be 'revved' to keep the diffuser working during braking whilst also charging the KERS. Or is this specifically outlawed in the KERS implementation regs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

It wont make much sense next year because of the ban on double diffusers.
The regulations don't allow any openings in the plane of the diffuser.

They may still run the low exhuasts, but who knows how effective it will be.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I wonder if an exhaust positioned on the top lip of the diffuser - where they normally have a gurney - might help the diffuser to work more effectively.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.