Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Hahahaha 'We'll leave Gary to go first' Haha

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Do we know if / McLaren intend on introducing a new exhaust system and/or a new suspension.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Would have been good if a bit, say the rear wing, had fallen off as they walked away...

Love the quip at the end about test drivers! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ChrisR20XX
ChrisR20XX

LW: "It works... so eeh"
JB: "Do you wanna take it out first?"
LW: "Naah i think we leave Gary to do it"
JB: "Yeah, thats what test drivers are for, isn't it ?"
LW: "Yeah exactly"

so great ^^

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

jason.parker.86 wrote:Do we know if / McLaren intend on introducing a new exhaust system and/or a new suspension.
Not sure - But I'd like to think they would give it a try.
There is apparently a brand new car coming to Silverstone so who knows. Although its only rumoured.

thestig84
thestig84

dannyteasdale wrote:
jason.parker.86 wrote:Do we know if / McLaren intend on introducing a new exhaust system and/or a new suspension.
Not sure - But I'd like to think they would give it a try.
There is apparently a brand new car coming to Silverstone so who knows. Although its only rumoured.
Yes new exhausts have been seen in the prototype area by the person I know at mclaren. They have heard they are low exhausts and the suspension is being changed too.

ringo

It wouldn't take much out of mclaren to lower the exhausts, based on the current design. Nothing needs to be repositioned to accomplish it; just new pipes and paneling.
One thing that may be completely new is the bridge wing panels that make up the huge upper deck of the diffuser.
For Sure!!

lotus7
lotus7

ChrisR20XX wrote:LW: "It works... so eeh"
JB: "Do you wanna take it out first?"
LW: "Naah i think we leave Gary to do it"
JB: "Yeah, thats what test drivers are for, isn't it ?"
LW: "Yeah exactly"

so great ^^
JB we know , who is LW ?

aral
aral

ringo wrote:It wouldn't take much out of mclaren to lower the exhausts, based on the current design. Nothing needs to be repositioned to accomplish it; just new pipes and paneling.
One thing that may be completely new is the bridge wing panels that make up the huge upper deck of the diffuser.
It is not quite as easy as that! The exhaust pipes have to be tuned and balanced to be compatible with the engine. It takes some time to achieve this. And further, some ancilliaries may have to be repositioned due to being closer to exhaust heat, extraction airflow, etc. Ferrari have acted promptly, but i think that mclaren have been wrong footed. Their f-duct has been designed with particular airflow through the diffuser, and messing with the diffuser, could negate some of the benefits of the f-duct. Ferrari had NO f-duct, hence it is less of a problem for them.

volarchico
volarchico

lotus7 wrote: JB we know , who is LW ?
Maybe he meant LeWis Hamilton?

thestig84
thestig84

gilgen wrote: Their f-duct has been designed with particular airflow through the diffuser, and messing with the diffuser, could negate some of the benefits of the f-duct. Ferrari had NO f-duct, hence it is less of a problem for them.
The f duct doesnt pass any airflow through the diffuser!? Also Ferrari do have an f duct!?

ringo

gilgen wrote:
ringo wrote:It wouldn't take much out of mclaren to lower the exhausts, based on the current design. Nothing needs to be repositioned to accomplish it; just new pipes and paneling.
It is not quite as easy as that! The exhaust pipes have to be tuned and balanced to be compatible with the engine. It takes some time to achieve this. And further, some ancilliaries may have to be repositioned due to being closer to exhaust heat, extraction airflow, etc. Ferrari have acted promptly, but i think that mclaren have been wrong footed. Their f-duct has been designed with particular airflow through the diffuser, and messing with the diffuser, could negate some of the benefits of the f-duct. Ferrari had NO f-duct, hence it is less of a problem for them.
The tuning is dependent on the length. I doubt they will have a drastic change in the pipe length. With the software capability, and the engine load and flow data, i doubt it'll take a day to have a new layout ready for manufacture.

I am not sure what you mean by balancing, but if you're talking about the "Y"s in the pipes, i think they will still keep whatever configuration they are using already.
One issue i think they might run into though is to prevent the pipes from cracking under thermal stress in their new positions. Redbull and Mercedes have had that issue earlier in the season.
Last edited by ringo on 21 Jun 2010, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Do Merc have the lost exist exhaust? if so do we know what performace gain that brought to compare / guess as to what it will bring macca?

aral
aral

thestig84 wrote:
gilgen wrote: Their f-duct has been designed with particular airflow through the diffuser, and messing with the diffuser, could negate some of the benefits of the f-duct. Ferrari had NO f-duct, hence it is less of a problem for them.
The f duct doesnt pass any airflow through the diffuser!? Also Ferrari do have an f duct!?
The diffuser handles under car airflow, whilst the f-duct handles airflow over the wing. The two are complementary! You cannot change one without affecting the other. Mclaren went for controlling the higher airflow. Increasing lower airflow, and removing exhaust flow immediately below he wing, could cause aerodynamic inbalance.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Rival engineers also believe the layout, pioneered by Adrian Newey, allows air to be channelled more efficiently into the downforce-producing double diffuser. The system is believed to be worth up to half a second per lap.

"We have a reasonably big upgrade that we are fighting to have for Silverstone, and if that is there then I would be disappointed if it is not a much bigger step than that," said McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh.