Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Silverstone debut for McLaren exhaust

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84685

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

and would be evaluated at a straightline test before being used at Silverstone
You think we can get pics of that from anywhere?

PlatinumZealot

Marco Alves wrote:Silverstone debut for McLaren exhaust

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84685
So the major concern is reliability then.. Hot air blowing on the body, suspension and driveshaft. New untested bends in the exhaust. At the same time, it is good that Mclaren is confident in the performance increase.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I doubt they are confident of anything until they shake it down on a straight line! Although Maccas simulator is supposed to be the best in the field, and top secret too!

Richard
Richard

jason.parker.86 wrote:I doubt they are confident of anything until they shake it down on a straight line! Although Maccas simulator is supposed to be the best in the field, and top secret too!
The simulator is purely a tool to train the drivers for each circuit with differing car set ups. They do this by programming the computer to respond to the driver's inputs and mimic the car's behaviour. In simple terms it is a giant PlayStation with a 3d screen, F1 seat, F1 steering wheel, and F1 cockpit. All mounted on pistons to mimic the jolts of the car.

Design of the exhaust and associated aerodynamic influences will be undertaken using CFD analysis to model the air flow and turbulence. There will also be an FE analysis calculating the stresses and strains from both thermal and dynamic loads.

thestig84
thestig84

richard_leeds wrote: The simulator is purely a tool to train the drivers for each circuit with differing car set ups. They do this by programming the computer to respond to the driver's inputs and mimic the car's behaviour. In simple terms it is a giant PlayStation with a 3d screen, F1 seat, F1 steering wheel, and F1 cockpit. All mounted on pistons to mimic the jolts of the car.
Purely a tool to train the drivers for each circuit?!? What basis is this comment founded?? Yes circuit recognition is a big plus for the sim but its by no means the main purpose (as in a pure tool) It is annoying when people spout the unfounded information...(if you can prove your point, ill hold my hands up!!)

If it is a giant PlayStation then why do Mclaren bother inputting all Force Indias/Mp4 12c data into the computer when they are trying to learn about various versions and setups of the so mentioned vehicles. Really if you know its a playstation with a 3d screen fair enough but you dont do you.....so why state it???

Sorry for the rant but the initial post is far enough off it highlights the annoying aspect of this forum when too many people claim to know more than they actually do!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

The BBC featured a day in the McLaren technology centre and McLaren said their simulator tests new components. Drivers do use it to train for circuits they have not been to before.

Its a well known fact that McLaren seen years ago that with limited testing, they would have to find other ways to develop their car, and their simulator is supposed to do just that.

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/Cha ... lator.aspx

Jonsson
Jonsson

It's amazing how the teams have to rely more and more on the practice sessions for testing out their upgrades. No wonder we saw Red Bull ditch the f-duct a day before the Turkish GP. I personally like real world testing rather than CFR approximates. Although CFR has gotten amazingly accurate, the drivers need to get a feel for the car before the actual multi-million dollar upgrade can be implemented.

autogyro
autogyro

I dont see how drivers can get a full 'feel' of the car when the cars are dominated by so much downforce. Bit like trying to break out of a wind tunnel.

PNSD
PNSD

I agree gyro. Many of the updates are often tiny pieces. I suspect alot of it is confidence for the driver.

Engineer, "Your car now can 10more points of downforce"

Driver, "Oh, so I can take this corner a little quicker then?"

Take Massa's broken front wing in Barcelona for example, he wasnt aware of the damage. That thing was a mess and yet didnt seem to effect his laptime. However had he been able to see his front wing damage I suspect he would have driven a tad slower maybe.

autogyro
autogyro

This and all the other car threads are dominated by aero.
If it means that little what exactly is the point?

wesley123
wesley123

autogyro wrote:This and all the other car threads are dominated by aero.
If it means that little what exactly is the point?
If aero was that unimportant like you are saying they would have run bricks as there is more sponsorship possiblwe on those cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

autogyro wrote:This and all the other car threads are dominated by aero.
Aero is what we see.
There's little to none info about anything else.
Aero, a bit of suspension and brakes. That's all we can see and make our minds on ourselves.

Richard
Richard

thestig84 wrote:Purely a tool to train the drivers for each circuit?!? What basis is this comment founded??
You've misread my post. I was saying it is a tool for exploring different set ups on a simulated circuit. Of course they feed in lots of data, that improves the accuracy of the simulation.

As for evidence, every simulator we see on TV fits into the giant playstation category. That's the evidence. I've not seen evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see if there is any.

The McLaren link posted by jason.parker says that the simulator avoids having to build components. This means the simulator doesn't have the physical components. IMHO they input various parameters in the simulation computer and see how it changes the simulated performance of the car in the computer model, combined with driver interaction from the playstation bit.

At no point would a physical exhaust be bolted onto the simulator. I doubt the simulator even models the exhaust, it probably only needs to know the resulting aero forces from the overall aero changes.

Hence my summary of the simulator as a giant playstation .... and not unfounded ;)

*edited out long rambling bit!

doopie2you

Found this picture on Formula1.com

P.S is that silver thing at the bottom of the picture a Air Filter?
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows