Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

They leave the fuel tank open to breathe to avoid dangerous build up of fuel fumes.

The picture shows a fuel filter used to ensure fumes can get out, but no containments can get in!

You will also often see a sign saying "No Fuel" hanging on a tether attached to the car, usually high up on the airbox. This verifies that someone has emptied the fuel tank when it came into the garage. It also reminds the team to put fuel in before trying to start up the engine.

zgred

doopie2you wrote:Image

Found this picture on Formula1.com
And this:

Richard
Richard

Thanks zgred

Great pictures of key parts of the car. Just like last year when the photographers were taking pictures of the floors and diffusers

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I could be wrong but I think these are old pictures from last race, as I am sure they are back in this thread (page mid 150's)

mith

This pictures are posted on sutton-images.com in Thursday preparations gallery.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

mith wrote:This pictures are posted on sutton-images.com in Thursday preparations gallery.
Sorry I got confused with these images posted from Canada:

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Above shows new FDuct Activation Hole.

Do we know why McLaren changed from Knee to Wrist Operation of the F-Duct? Maybe Lewis couldnt reach it?

ringo

maybe they have both?
For Sure!!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

would that not mean they would have to block both holes at once?

Shaddock

I'm surprised the tubes are not round or oval rather than being rectangular. The further you move away from 'round' the less flow you will get through them, seems strange.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Maybe they didnt have enough room for a round!?

thestig84
thestig84

richard_leeds wrote:
thestig84 wrote:Purely a tool to train the drivers for each circuit?!? What basis is this comment founded??
You've misread my post. I was saying it is a tool for exploring different set ups on a simulated circuit. Of course they feed in lots of data, that improves the accuracy of the simulation.

As for evidence, every simulator we see on TV fits into the giant playstation category. That's the evidence. I've not seen evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see if there is any.

The McLaren link posted by jason.parker says that the simulator avoids having to build components. This means the simulator doesn't have the physical components. IMHO they input various parameters in the simulation computer and see how it changes the simulated performance of the car in the computer model, combined with driver interaction from the playstation bit.

At no point would a physical exhaust be bolted onto the simulator. I doubt the simulator even models the exhaust, it probably only needs to know the resulting aero forces from the overall aero changes.

Hence my summary of the simulator as a giant playstation .... and not unfounded ;)

*edited out long rambling bit!
Sorry about that. I did miss your point (had a few beers, probably didnt help!) I thought you were comparing it more to the Redbull sim which imo is more of a game/playstation machine that looks like it just helps drivers learn circuit layout.

The evidence that I know it is very different to the Redbull one is my brother has been in a few times setting up the data link for Force India's HQ to get the data and making sure they dont get to see any Mclaren data. Saw it lapping barcelona itself before Sutil had a go. Its quite a piece of kit apparently :wink: !

PlatinumZealot

jason.parker.86 wrote:Maybe they didnt have enough room for a round!?
Interesting, I know that a square profile that follows a curved path, produces swirling vortices . I also notics that car manufactures like BMW make this square profile in their intake manifold runners.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

n smikle wrote:
jason.parker.86 wrote:Maybe they didnt have enough room for a round!?
Interesting, I know that a square profile that follows a curved path, produces swirling vortices . I also notics that car manufactures like BMW make this square profile in their intake manifold runners.
What you mean?

doopie2you

I watch this onboard of Hamilton in Turkey, and you see that on the straight he puts his hand lower on the left side of the steering wheel (00:26) And then at the end of the straight he puts it back to normal (00:32).

Then up the hill (00:38) He does it again, this time you really see it! Ending at (00:44).

Maybe they have created some sort of double system? That allows them to use Knee and Wrist at straights but in some corners only use Wrist so maybe the F-duct works only a bit at the rear wing, so that the car still keeps enough Downforce.

I have no idea, but that is what i think it is :oops:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBvPl13u ... re=channel[/youtube]

Tell me what you think?
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows