Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

He rarely locks up both wheels, usually just the unloaded inside front wheel, which shows him right at the limit of adhesion.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shaddock

jason.parker.86 wrote:I really think Hammy needs to practice more at one shot laps. He is endlessly locking up one of his front wheels, or going too deep into the corner. Maybe he is pushing too hard in qualifying.

I would not take it away from him, because he has pulled some stunning laps over his career; but feel this year his qualy performance has been very average.
He locks his front wheels more than most due to the type of brakes that he uses on his car compared to some other teams. He also drives a different 'shaped' corner to the likes of Button, braking towards the corners apex, thus reducing the load on the inside tyre and increasing the risk of a lockup.

Also in pure lap time analysis, and given that you can only compare a driver with his team mate in an indentical car, shouldn't you have substituted 'Hammy' for Button.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Im not putting the guy down, I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I just think that his qualifying performance this year has been rough at times. Yes he puts some stunning laps on, but I think he locks his front wheels more often than most (even during the GP).

dannyteasdale
dannyteasdale

jason.parker.86 wrote:Im not putting the guy down, I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I just think that his qualifying performance this year has been rough at times. Yes he puts some stunning laps on, but I think he locks his front wheels more often than most (even during the GP).
O no I respect that - We just have different views :)

spinmastermic

He's pushing alot to catch up with the RedBulls in qually this year. He's not gonna be perfect every time. Up until now he was the only driver getting close. Its well fun to watch.

ringo

Paul wrote:I'd have to agree. In qualy Lewis was faster than Ferraris even without his last lap, while Jenson would have been in front without his driving error. I race they were pretty much on par in the first stint, but on harder tyres McLaren were much better. Both Jenson and Fernando were in similar conditions, running in dirty air, but when Kamui pitted Jenson's tyres where like new and he could speed up significantly, while Fernando didn't save his tyres and couldn't defend against Kamui despite being told by Ferrari to chillax beforehand.
Button's error does not mean he would be faster. His error means that he was on the limit and dropped it. That is how i see it, driving on the limit is very error prone. Only a few master it, and even then they make mistakes. Button will always be 2.6 tenth slower than Lewis, and if he tries to be faster he will make an error.

He simply will not be error free on any weekend driving like this. He needs to drive like how he usually does.

Saying that, he is simply not able to do what lewis does with the car, so i used both his times and Lewis' to give a general idea how it compares to Alonso. Button is not faster than Hamilton but he is not a slow driver either, so i think his driving represents what the typical f1 pilot would do with the Mp4 25.
For Sure!!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Another thing that has let McLaren down this year is pit stops. They need to get some practice in. They are alot slower than other teams, but I wonder if they are thinking we'll got abit slower to ensure we dont mess up.

Im also shocked to see Ferrari still have that stupid traffic light system, which IMO cost Massa the title.

astracrazy
astracrazy

reg the traffic light system, the problems were always with fuel and not the tyres.

I think Hamilton is slightly quicker than Jenson. Jenson isn't as quick with a car which is not 100% too his liking. Hamilton is.

I've been impressed with Hamilton this year, he is driving much smoother and with more patience.
jason.parker.86 wrote: I wonder if they are thinking we'll got abit slower to ensure we dont mess up.
If somebody used that motive in my team i'd fire them. Besides they've been slower than others and still made mistakes - how much slower can they go
Last edited by astracrazy on 01 Jul 2010, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

astracrazy wrote:reg the traffic light system, the problems were always with fuel and not the tyres.

I think Hamilton is slightly quicker than Jenson. Jenson isn't as quick with a car which is not 100% too his liking. Hamilton is.

I've been impressed with Hamilton this year, he is driving much smoother and with more patience.
jason.parker.86 wrote: I wonder if they are thinking we'll got abit slower to ensure we dont mess up.
If somebody used that motive in my team i'd fire them.
But their is no getting away from the fact the McLaren pit stop is slow this year.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye sorry, i just added that too my post.

it could have cost them more this season than it has. i.e turkey.

Does anyone know when the mclaren straight line test is with the new upgrade?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I doubt it will be before next week. Proablly Tuesday!?

PlatinumZealot

astracrazy wrote:reg the traffic light system, the problems were always with fuel and not the tyres.

3 tenths is not slightly quicker. That is night and day!
Jenson is supposed to be a top rank driver, I expect a top rank driver to be hundredths off another top rank driver and no more. Simple because If you are an expert you are supposed to be using your machine to it's full potential, When we have midfielders backmarker teams 2 seconds off the pace How can you have another guy using the same car as you go 3 tenths faster? That is like 15% to the midfielder/backmarker gap!! that's like the other guy is driving a whole different car! Definitely below my expectations because if it were Alonso Lewis would have to fight for every thousandth much less hundredths. Lewis is even making due with banker laps and still beating Jenson. :lol: So no... Jenson is no way close to Hamilton. 2 tenths is too much for an "elite" driver.. even in a sprint race 5 hundredths is alot between elite runners.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

aral
aral

jason.parker.86 wrote:I doubt it will be before next week. Proablly Tuesday!?
So will there be an outcry about this, too?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

gilgen wrote:
jason.parker.86 wrote:I doubt it will be before next week. Proablly Tuesday!?
So will there be an outcry about this, too?

Why an outcry? Each team is given 4 (i think) straight line tests each season and McLaren will be using one of their allowance instead of McLaren pretending that Vodafone want to do a photo shoot whilst ragging their new exhaust system around the track.

Richard
Richard

jason.parker.86 wrote:Why an outcry? Each team is given 4 (i think) straight line tests each season and McLaren will be using one of their allowance instead of McLaren pretending that Vodafone want to do a photo shoot whilst ragging their new exhaust system around the track.
What's wrong with using the allowance for shake downs & promotional events?