Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
twoshots
twoshots

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

To my knowledge, McLaren are doing all there testing days at Idiada, Spain this year. I guess the more or less guaranteed weather is a big benefit if you only have limited opportunities to test.

donskar
donskar

@ thestig84 --

Thanks for that link. Anyone wondering why McL is such a great team? Read that interview. Like the team he represented, Neale's responses were always measured, thoughtful, never over the top. He refused to give Autosport any one-liners they could quote out of context and blow up into a phony controversy. (BTW, I hate McL, but do respect them)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Do we have no pictures of this test ?

balalev
balalev

new front wing

other:

Last edited by balalev on 08 Jul 2010, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

timbo
timbo

Wow! That IS interesting.
Spend couple seconds thinking about that "tube" thing, but it seems it is support that wing sits on.

wesley123
wesley123

wow that front wing is interresting, nothing new really but just combinations of what is already known.

Upper deck seems smaller though.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

boydy19
boydy19

Can anyone describe what this new bit on the frong wing is for?

Shrek
Shrek

i think it's afront wing adjuster and at the main plane where it sits is a new curve to help the car be more stable when it bounces
Spencer

myurr
myurr

wesley123 wrote:wow that front wing is interresting, nothing new really but just combinations of what is already known.

Well the double raised front edge on the lowest profile is new - where it raises as it gets to the fence, then drops and raises again. Agree the rest appears evolutions and combinations of other wings and ideas.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

It looks like they are trying hard to build a vortex on the lower inside edge of the front tires. Combine this detail with a turning vane mounted low on the brake duct and they could be thinking that they can direct more frontal airflow outwards past the front tire, especially with some steering angle applied.

They would be doing that to try to build a lower air pressure under the sidepod floors, resulting in more downforce.

Pure speculation at this point as the wing is all I've seen ..

wesley123
wesley123

myurr wrote:
wesley123 wrote:wow that front wing is interresting, nothing new really but just combinations of what is already known.

Well the double raised front edge on the lowest profile is new - where it raises as it gets to the fence, then drops and raises again. Agree the rest appears evolutions and combinations of other wings and ideas.
Indeed, and that is the only thing that is 100% new.

Also the wing isn't a 4-plane anymore but the first profile first was divided in 2 parts. Also further the profiles seem different.
Overall the front wing seems much more aimed at directing air around the tires.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mazdaboy

This is an F-ducted front wing :D :D :D
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

astracrazy
astracrazy

BreezyRacer wrote:It looks like they are trying hard to build a vortex on the lower inside edge of the front tires. Combine this detail with a turning vane mounted low on the brake duct and they could be thinking that they can direct more frontal airflow outwards past the front tire, especially with some steering angle applied.

They would be doing that to try to build a lower air pressure under the sidepod floors, resulting in more downforce.

Pure speculation at this point as the wing is all I've seen ..
i would love to understand what your saying lol

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Here are some clear'er images...

scarbs
scarbs

The different mainplane suggests they are trying to split the front wing into two: one part in front of the tyre and the other part whose wake sits in the clear air between the tyre and chassis. this is why the vertical fence is so substantial, to seperate the two flow structures...

I wonder if they can make the outer section break off easily, in case of brushes with other cars, keeping the inner section in tact, saves making a pitstop to change the wing? :lol: