Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bar555
bar555

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

The endplates also have been revised .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

madly
madly

ell66
ell66

the endplates look a lot more simple now, wonder why that is.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Shrek
Shrek

scarbs wrote:I wonder if they can make the outer section break off easily, in case of brushes with other cars, keeping the inner section in tact, saves making a pitstop to change the wing? :lol:
That's what Dirt Late Models in America do.
Spencer

Super racing
Super racing

Is that the upper or lower pick up point?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

That sure is an interesting snorkel above the lower beam wing. I guess for cooling? It would seem that it would compromise some downforce there.

And as for the exhaust .. where exactly IS the exit? It looks like it's still up high? Given that this is for a Friday test maybe they have both locations still available on the car?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Super racing wrote:Is that the upper or lower pick up point?
Must be upper, you can see the the wheel in the lower right corner. Looks like their exhaust are higher up than the other lower exhaust solutions.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

BreezyRacer wrote:That sure is an interesting snorkel above the lower beam wing. I guess for cooling? It would seem that it would compromise some downforce there.

And as for the exhaust .. where exactly IS the exit? It looks like it's still up high? Given that this is for a Friday test maybe they have both locations still available on the car?
That snorkel has been there from the start, might be modified now though. It is the secondary exit of the F-duct.

For reference:
Old:
New:

forty-two

scarbs wrote:The different mainplane suggests they are trying to split the front wing into two: one part in front of the tyre and the other part whose wake sits in the clear air between the tyre and chassis. this is why the vertical fence is so substantial, to seperate the two flow structures...

I wonder if they can make the outer section break off easily, in case of brushes with other cars, keeping the inner section in tact, saves making a pitstop to change the wing? :lol:
A nice idea! But isnt the mechanism for moving the front wing element located in the outer section?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

thestig84
thestig84

Super racing...I think that is the old exhaust so its not really near either deck. Heard a few snippets about the upgrade. Just like the autosport q&a with Neale the gains from the blown diffuser arent as great as hoped. (Dont think this includes front wing)

Also as you would expect melting suspension/floor has been an issue so there have been a fair few floors with every growing reinforcement floating about. Hopefully they are on top of it by Saturday. If that picture is the new exhaust I cant see why they are frying floors.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

forty-two wrote:
scarbs wrote:The different mainplane suggests they are trying to split the front wing into two: one part in front of the tyre and the other part whose wake sits in the clear air between the tyre and chassis. this is why the vertical fence is so substantial, to seperate the two flow structures...

I wonder if they can make the outer section break off easily, in case of brushes with other cars, keeping the inner section in tact, saves making a pitstop to change the wing? :lol:
A nice idea! But isnt the mechanism for moving the front wing element located in the outer section?
Looks like they moved it to those vertical fences like many other teams have.

autogyro
autogyro

Super racing wrote:Image

Is that the upper or lower pick up point?

Where did the pic come from?
Looks odd to me.
Digitaly enhanced?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

It come from Sutton Images. Exhaust looks the same to me.

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:
forty-two wrote:

Looks like they moved it to those vertical fences like many other teams have.
Do you mean the "End-fence" of the wing? If so, it has been there for a long time on the McLaren. If you didn't mean the end-fence and instead you meant the new vertical section inboard of the end-fence, then why is there an access panel in the end-fence?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?