Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

jason.parker.86 wrote:It come from Sutton Images. Exhaust looks the same to me.
There's a bulge underneath. I think it's new

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

forty-two wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
forty-two wrote: A nice idea! But isnt the mechanism for moving the front wing element located in the outer section?
Looks like they moved it to those vertical fences like many other teams have.
Do you mean the "End-fence" of the wing? If so, it has been there for a long time on the McLaren. If you didn't mean the end-fence and instead you meant the new vertical section inboard of the end-fence, then why is there an access panel in the end-fence?
Very good question, was pondering that myself. But I see no reason why the inboard fence should be that chunky unless it contained the mechanics for moving the wing. I think renault and mercedes control their wings from the inner fences.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think that access panel on the outer edge is just for access to the hinges that they must have at the end. Sounds reasonable?

Merc:
Last edited by imightbewrong on 08 Jul 2010, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote: Very good question, was pondering that myself. But I see no reason why the inboard fence should be that chunky unless it contained the mechanics for moving the wing. I think renault and mercedes control their wings from the inner fences.

Hmmmm. If so, that sounds like a smart idea, abeit a nightmare for engineers to access it, having it inboard somewhat does make it a little safer.

Perhaps the access panel on the end-fence is merely there to provide access to a second access panel on the mid-fence (or whatever you might choose to call it ;-) ). This would add weight, but I think lots of teams add ballast to the nose anyway so perhaps a few grammes there wouldn't hurt!

Also, maybe the inboard fence is that shape in order to better direct airflow around the tyres? Kind of like a vertical version of a splitter?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

thestig84
thestig84

timbo wrote:
jason.parker.86 wrote:It come from Sutton Images. Exhaust looks the same to me.
There's a bulge underneath. I think it's new
There has always been that lump under. Its the same exhaust. They have still been playing with the new one at the MTC as I said a few post ago.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

McLaren have correctly gone into this GP thinking why do we need to risk loosing the lead in the WDC by rushing out upgrades that may or may not work, however I am shocked to see they have not at least tried it on one car for a friday practice to see how it goes?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

jason.parker.86 wrote:McLaren have correctly gone into this GP thinking why do we need to risk loosing the lead in the WDC by rushing out upgrades that may or may not work, however I am shocked to see they have not at least tried it on one car for a friday practice to see how it goes?
They have actually rushed it, the moved upgrades forwards for silverstone, and they probably will test it as soon as it is ready (friday or saturday?):
Neale said that McLaren had accelerated its development plans in response to the level of upgrades other teams had recently introduced - but that change of plan meant the team was in a race against time to prepare for Silverstone.

"We did try to pull forward a variety of packages that we had planned through to Germany," he confirmed. "So at the moment I've got a range of things that I'd like to get to the circuit on Friday that we haven't built yet. So we're in that sort of fire-fight between now and Friday - just how much can we get there?"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85036

twoshots
twoshots

jason.parker.86 wrote:...however I am shocked to see they have not at least tried it on one car for a friday practice to see how it goes?
It has not been tested on a previous Friday as it was not yet ready to be tested. To my knowledge McLaren straight line tested it last week and are putting it on the car this weekend in FP1/2 to see how it goes.

ringo

All signs show they are gonna run 2 different exhausts. notice that round bulge bellow the exhuast? That looks like the lower opening.

Also for the diffuser, look near the wheels, the diffuser floor area is more pronounced here and even has little endplates to channel exhaust.

look by the wheel and foot of endplate support strut. Flatter areas here.
For Sure!!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Well spotted Ringo! You could well be correct, which makes sense. Test it.. if it burns our suspension to bits then revert back to plan A.

Do you think both cars will have it or just one to compare?

Midnight-34
Midnight-34

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/08/r ... p-preview/
Reliability will also be a concern – McLaren have had at least one failure with the new exhaust arrangement while testing it. If Red Bull get pole position, expect them to repeat their Valencia trick of driving very slowly on the formation lap in an attempt to provoke failures in their rivals’ cars.
Did the mclaren had reliability problems testing the new exausts? Any other source about that?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Blurry pic courtesy of scarbs. Man look at that drop off on the sidepods!
http://twitpic.com/23p24p

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:Blurry pic courtesy of scarbs. Man look at that drop off on the sidepods!
http://twitpic.com/23p24p

I think what you're seeing swooping downwards there is the sponsor's artwork rather than the top of the sidepod, but as your username says, I might be wrong! :D

EDIT: Correction! You were right. Just saw the revised car on FP1 and the sidepods really do swoop like that! Nice work McL, beautiful machine... I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's fast!

gibells
gibells

ringo wrote: ...
All signs show they are gonna run 2 different exhausts. notice that round bulge bellow the exhuast? That looks like the lower opening.

Also for the diffuser, look near the wheels, the diffuser floor area is more pronounced here and even has little endplates to channel exhaust.
look by the wheel and foot of endplate support strut. Flatter areas here.
Is there any chance of them actually running with 2 exhaust outlets per side? Or is that not allowed in the regulations?

forty-two

ringo wrote: All signs show they are gonna run 2 different exhausts. notice that round bulge bellow the exhuast? That looks like the lower opening.
Perhaps they're pulling a Red-bull and are fooling us all with the visible exhaust outlets, while secretly their exhausts are actually venting into a parralel universe via a wormhole?

outer_bongolia

Wow, watching FP1 on my computer and the quality is terrible.
Still, the sidepod looks so tight. And there are gills, it seems.

I was still unable to spot the location of the exhaust. It did not look exactly like the picture of the exhaust posted earlier.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan