Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Sawtooth-spike wrote:but they are only on one side.

I think they are part of the design. With the way Mclaren run there cool, its is likely they need that hole.
It's cooling. That side was always larger when the exhaust was up high for cooling purposes. They probably have a slit connecting with the exhaust outlet to make it one opening.
Honda!

ringo

Sawtooth-spike wrote:loving the back end of that car.

How are they able to get away with the gills where the old exhaust used to be?
It lies within a certain distance from the car centre line. I don't quite remember if it's 150mm. But once it's within this distance you can put as much holes as you like in the car.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Any pictures of the exhaust itself?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

myurr
myurr

dren wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:but they are only on one side.

I think they are part of the design. With the way Mclaren run there cool, its is likely they need that hole.
It's cooling. That side was always larger when the exhaust was up high for cooling purposes. They probably have a slit connecting with the exhaust outlet to make it one opening.
In free practice 2 they ran the gills on both sides.

madly
madly

forty-two

n smikle wrote:Any pictures of the exhaust itself?
Is it just me, or is anyone also surprised that some decent pictures of McLaren's new exhaust layout are not appearing anywhere?

Pretty sure that during the Valencia build-up, loads of pictures of the new F10 layout were appearing, but perhaps McLaren are keeping a lid on things for the moment.

The new sidepod tapering is beautiful though!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

ringo wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:loving the back end of that car.

How are they able to get away with the gills where the old exhaust used to be?
It lies within a certain distance from the car centre line. I don't quite remember if it's 150mm. But once it's within this distance you can put as much holes as you like in the car.
+1

Red Bull have that enormous hole at the back of their car (didn't someone call it a Unicorn hole, and someone else posted a picture with vettel's head poking out of it??), which is apparently allowed for the same reason.

EDIT: Added Picture

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Highres, click for full resolution (nextgen-auto.com):

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:Highres, click for full resolution (nextgen-auto.com):
Great pictures, thanks for posting.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

From ZooL on the autosport forums:
AMuS says engineers are analysing the data tonight - if the decision is made to go back to the old config then it will be done through the night. Some components got too hot, the rear was unstable - especially under braking. The car is good with lots of fuel but very difficult when the car is light. Hamilton went off 7 times.

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:From ZooL on the autosport forums:
AMuS says engineers are analysing the data tonight - if the decision is made to go back to the old config then it will be done through the night. Some components got too hot, the rear was unstable - especially under braking. The car is good with lots of fuel but very difficult when the car is light. Hamilton went off 7 times.
If this is true, I don't think this will be helping McLaren's quali pace!

chasefreak
chasefreak

they have rushed the updates... so there r good chances that it is still not ready

but i was reading soemwhere ... hamilton said that he is very happy with the car and it's performance and friday was pure testing.. come saturday.. things will change

timbo
timbo

Unstable car under braking probably means they went a bit too far exploiting blown diffuser -- it looses to much off throttle.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Great postings and and access Imightbewrong. Thanks!

As for the problems. With the sudden mid corner snap oversteer that Hamilton is having I would be inclined to look into suspension bind or alignment changes. It just doesn't seem so much of an aero only problem to me. I know that seems counter to what anyone should be thinking except that once this cars breaks loose it's just gone. That's often classic chassis bind. Raise the rear spring rates, crank in some more rear toe and test in P3.

I doubt they will revert back given that all those changes that they have made, and to both ends of the car. What if they revert back and it's really the front wing that involved somehow. If they do revert back they should go all the way back to the Valencia spec on both ends of the car.

segedunum
segedunum

BreezyRacer wrote:I doubt they will revert back given that all those changes that they have made, and to both ends of the car. What if they revert back and it's really the front wing that involved somehow. If they do revert back they should go all the way back to the Valencia spec on both ends of the car.
They can't revert back because they need the performance. Even if they get DNFed out of this it's vital if they want to be in any sort of contention over the next few races.