Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

segedunum wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:I doubt they will revert back given that all those changes that they have made, and to both ends of the car. What if they revert back and it's really the front wing that involved somehow. If they do revert back they should go all the way back to the Valencia spec on both ends of the car.
They can't revert back because they need the performance. Even if they get DNFed out of this it's vital if they want to be in any sort of contention over the next few races.
They rather be fourth than DNF, so it is doubtful they would run it in the race
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Alas, it happened:
Late on Saturday night, McLaren mechanics were seen wheeling the updated floors out of the Silverstone paddock as work began on revising the cars back to the configuration that has been used up until this race – with the standard exhaust set-up.

Sources have revealed that McLaren understands where improvements can be made with the package, and revisions will be made to ensure the exhaust-blown diffuser is back on the car for the German Grand Prix.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85141

TheRMVR

imightbewrong wrote:Alas, it happened:
Late on Saturday night, McLaren mechanics were seen wheeling the updated floors out of the Silverstone paddock as work began on revising the cars back to the configuration that has been used up until this race – with the standard exhaust set-up.

Sources have revealed that McLaren understands where improvements can be made with the package, and revisions will be made to ensure the exhaust-blown diffuser is back on the car for the German Grand Prix.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85141
You might be right :D

ringo

imightbewrong wrote:From ZooL on the autosport forums:
AMuS says engineers are analysing the data tonight - if the decision is made to go back to the old config then it will be done through the night. Some components got too hot, the rear was unstable - especially under braking. The car is good with lots of fuel but very difficult when the car is light. Hamilton went off 7 times.
Ha ha the rear is unstable, typical blown diffuser. :mrgreen:
Mclaren has that big barn door upper deck diffuser to blame. The also need to cut their exhaust pipes at an angle like ferrari and RB.
For Sure!!

autogyro
autogyro

IMO they still do not fully understand what RB are doing.
I do not believe 'blowing' the diffuser or 'blowing' over the diffuser lip has much to do with the over all exhaust aerodynamic gains of the RB.
It looked like Hamilton was driving a car that changed its handling radicaly when the throttle was applied out of certain bends. I found it hard to believe the comments made about high cross winds as few other cars were effected.
Who was that F3 driver commenting anyway, poor grasp of F1 I thought.
I have continued to say that I do not think the exhaust system applied to the RB will work well if at all on the macca. It is far to cluttered at the back and is a barn door compared to the RB.
Smooth flow in the coke bottle area is the secret and few others will achieve this.

Afterburner

RB center of gravity makes me wonder how much it gaves them in terms of lap time and handling benefits.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Holm86

The new rear-end is just so slick .... the best ass in the field :)

PlatinumZealot

I wonder if Mclaren has routed the exhaust into the diffuser itself instead of just blowing over the top of it? They probably thought their far more modern, powerful computational resources could make a REAL blown diffuser work in a controlled way by taming the transient effects that accompany injecting the exhaust into the diffuser throat. IF they really did this, it seemed they failed on the first try.

Of course this is is why I wanted a picture to see if the exhaust pipes goes into the diffuser itself or if it's only blows over the top.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

Maybe, and this is just a shot in the dark, but maybe the reason to move the exhaust down is to clean up the air going to the rear plane wing. The wing that goes over the rear crash structure. It probably receives denser air and hence is more effective, when you don't have hot exhaust gases billowing towards it. By comparison, this wing is very plain on the Mclaren, but other teams have it much more sculpted. I'm talking about the wing where the bridgestone logo appears.

Look at other teams, the Red Bull for example has this lower wing mounted higher, and the rear of the car is probably sculpted to help feed air to it.
Last edited by godlameroso on 10 Jul 2010, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

For Sure!!

Pierce89

Holm86 wrote:The new rear-end is just so slick .... the best ass in the field :)
If by slick, you mean: fat and cluttered, then I agree. Worst ass of top teams. Extremely bulky compared to RB6 and F10
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Blackout

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

ringo wrote:Image
Hmm.. looks like they have had to but bodywork over the exhaust to steer the hot air under the wishbones. But by doing that they are covering up parts of the floor that was previously open. Could this perhaps be the reason why the McLaren is more sensitive to the throttle than the other cars? That they have interfered to much with the non-blown properties of the air flow.

Edit: Old floor
Wow, looks like they have really changed the suspension pickups. But we can also see that there is less "open" floor now. And as you can see, they are using bodywork to revert the exhaust gases under the lower wishbone.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

New back end in good light compared to the old one (New first, then old):

The reduction in open floor is quite significant..