Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
segedunum
segedunum

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

imightbewrong wrote:New back end in good light compared to the old one (New first, then old):
Wow. That's shot that gives an amazing perspective on that diffuser.

segedunum
segedunum

wesley123 wrote:They rather be fourth than DNF, so it is doubtful they would run it in the race
I'm afraid not. Such is the pace of development they could lose the equivalent in points through a DNF in the next couple of races if they don't keep up.

segedunum
segedunum

n smikle wrote:I wonder if Mclaren has routed the exhaust into the diffuser itself instead of just blowing over the top of it?
Nope. I don't think even Red Bull is doing that fully yet. The exhaust gases are too unpredictable to blow directly. Newey tried it at McLaren several years ago but it had to be abandoned.

autogyro
autogyro

The design of the exhaust outlet has no chance at all of having the same effects on airflow at the rear as on the RB.
I would have expected much more from McLaren.
Start by moving the lower wing section up at least five inches.
Then get rid of all the covers over the exhaust outlet.
Then work out what you want to achieve.(it is not to directly blow the diffuser).

timbo
timbo

Seems like McLaren suffering from mechanical setup. Bumps disturb the car too much.
Ironically, new ultra-fast Silverstone seem to favor same car characteristics as Monaco.

Holm86

Why is this so difficult for mclaren to get this EBD to work?? they are not running it today or tomorow in the race.

Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari all were able to use it on their first try. And Mclaren have had even more time to work on it.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

McLaren have fell foul of rushing upgrades to a car and as a result lost ground on setting up the car for Qualy.

Why Mclaren did not only introduce the upgrades to one car is beyond me. Why introduce the ugprades to both cars, at least if they upgrade to only one car they would have been able to compare the data!

That Mclaren looked VERY bumpy!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Just a thought ..

Maybe, since Button and Hamilton went off again this morning in P3, the problem is something other than the diffuser/aero changes?

wesley123
wesley123

Holm86 wrote:Why is this so difficult for mclaren to get this EBD to work?? they are not running it today or tomorow in the race.

Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari all were able to use it on their first try. And Mclaren have had even more time to work on it.
those cars arent as tight packaged as te mclaren
Pierce89 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:The new rear-end is just so slick .... the best ass in the field :)
If by slick, you mean: fat and cluttered, then I agree. Worst ass of top teams. Extremely bulky compared to RB6 and F10
Well i dont know if you ever seen it but the mclarens is alot tighter then the ferrari and probabl also then the red bull.

I know it doenst look great, but it is tighter then others
Last edited by wesley123 on 10 Jul 2010, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

segedunum
segedunum

Holm86 wrote:Why is this so difficult for mclaren to get this EBD to work?? they are not running it today or tomorow in the race.
Because modelling exhaust gases and working out what to do with them is hideously complex. You can't just throw it in a wind tunnel and test it either. It needs a lot of careful thought and planning. Packaging has a lot do do with as well though because you need unimpeded airflow, as I said months ago on this thread. The McLaren rear just isn't the best to do that with.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some McLaren engineers were getting all excited about what kind of time they were going to gain. Even Renault and Ferrari have hit a bit of a brick wall now because all they're doing is blowing exhaust gases around and over the diffuser. You need a plan as to what you're going to do with it. You also need to rebalance the front end.
Last edited by segedunum on 10 Jul 2010, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:

The Ferrari and Renault are packaged tighter. Mclaren's car is extremely bulbous and cluttered at the rear, compared to the F10. Seems like Mclarens "ultra fast development rate" got overtaken by the Ferrari boys.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:

Pierce89 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:The new rear-end is just so slick .... the best ass in the field :)
If by slick, you mean: fat and cluttered, then I agree. Worst ass of top teams. Extremely bulky compared to RB6 and F10
Well i dont know if you ever seen it but the mclarens is alot tighter then the ferrari and probabl also then the red bull.

I know it doenst look great, but it is tighter then others
I was in Canada. I saw every car. The Macca rear end is not tighter than the Red
bull, not even close.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

it is what you call tighter, the mclarens is much more downsloaping and nearly hits the floor when it ends, the red bull doesnt do that and seems to combine both, large coke bottle shape and downsloaping with also much longer sidepods extending to the DDD
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:it is what you call tighter, the mclarens is much more downsloaping and nearly hits the floor when it ends, the red bull doesnt do that and seems to combine both, large coke bottle shape and downsloaping with also much longer sidepods extending to the DDD
Macca has VERY bulbous central section, almost as wide as their rear wing. No other car has that.
Because of it they have smallish sidepods (although not as indercut as Ferrari or Renault)

segedunum
segedunum

Ask yourself how much of the floor you can see and how much free air there is around the floor and suspension. McLaren are miles off Red Bull and Ferrari.