Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spencifer_Murphy

Re: Red Bull RB6

So...are we going to have the usual nonesense from the "expert" doom-mongers of "Flo-vis! A-HA! This means for CERTAIN that Red Bull are in serious trouble, there is a fundamental problem with the car, it cannot generate enough downforce" blah blah blah...LOL!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Nice pics, Imightbewrong. It looks like the RB team ares till coming to grips with all the changes they introduced at Valencia. The continuing evolution of the RB and McLaren are just amazing.

Shrek
Shrek

using Flo Viz again this session (FP2)
Spencer

ringo

any thoughts on this little hole ahead of the tyres?
For Sure!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I think that hole has two purposes .. first to clear the deck area of tire turbulence along the sides of the diffuser box, and second to introduce a fresh charge of airflow to the outer sides of the diffuser box.

FYI, usually the outsides of a diffuser box have pretty poor flow because the vortexes in a diffuser box naturally move towards the middle of the diffuser box.

manchild
manchild

Looks to me like something that could be useful in wet conditions, as air would partly remove the water in front of the tyre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercavitation

Richard
Richard

As I recall that's been a common feature for a few years. Probably helps mitigate turbulence from the rear wheels.

McLaren have one too....

Super cavitation was tongue in cheek? I know they are fast, but not that fast!

forty-two

ringo wrote:Image
any thoughts on this little hole ahead of the tyres?
I'm pretty sure that's been on the RB for some time, although perhaps the ridge was not as high before.

I was interested in the bit of gaffer tape running along the floor. Is this perhaps holding down a pitot tube monitoring pressure somewhere?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I cannot believe you guys! We just had a day of practice and all there is here is what color fuel burns at.

It looks like RB have a good handle on the Fduct now, after performances here today. And Webber lokos looks to move back to the front .. only 14 laps and a clear 4 tenths of the best of the rest .. and surprise! It's not Vettel.

McLaren have learned the hard way today that a "blown" diffuser is no piece of cake. Congrats to Ferrari and Renault for getting their "blown" diffuser designs right the first time. McLaren is going back to it's old layout tonight ..

PlatinumZealot

Mclaren should have just copied the REdBull straight up! Don't try to reinvent the blown diffuser! hehe... Notice that Ferrari changed their exhaust more akin to the RedBull and it seems to be working.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ciro Pabón

BreezyRacer wrote:I cannot believe you guys! We just had a day of practice and all there is here is what color fuel burns at.
Not anymore.
Ciro

segedunum
segedunum

n smikle wrote:Mclaren should have just copied the REdBull straight up! Don't try to reinvent the blown diffuser! hehe... Notice that Ferrari changed their exhaust more akin to the RedBull and it seems to be working.
The Ferrari isn't doing anything of what the Red Bull system is doing. All they're doing is blowing exhaust gas around and over the diffuser. Red Bull are doing something more complex that we're only just beginning to see on here.

segedunum
segedunum

BreezyRacer wrote:IIt looks like RB have a good handle on the Fduct now, after performances here today.
It's the last piece in he jigsaw and they have got it working far earlier than I expected. Straight line speeds from both Red Bulls are much improved and the places where they can actually use the F-duct through corners is bizarre. Now that Red Bull have the downforce it's given them a whole area of development in which to try and minimise the drag penalty of all of that downforce. It's proved easier to get working for them than exhaust blown diffusers have for other teams at any rate so their development logic has proved very correct.

roost89
roost89

Red Bull, I believe, have 2 small wings between the struts on the front wing. Behind the main plain.

Don't know of any image sites, however, those that do. Can you look out for this? I saw it on TV
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Vasco

segedunum wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:IIt looks like RB have a good handle on the Fduct now, after performances here today.
It's the last piece in he jigsaw and they have got it working far earlier than I expected. Straight line speeds from both Red Bulls are much improved and the places where they can actually use the F-duct through corners is bizarre. Now that Red Bull have the downforce it's given them a whole area of development in which to try and minimise the drag penalty of all of that downforce. It's proved easier to get working for them than exhaust blown diffusers have for other teams at any rate so their development logic has proved very correct.
Whoa...hold on, they were using flow viz on the blown wing, surely something is fundamentally wrong with their design then.. :wink: