Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Where did you read that?
Mclaren have lost no staff to Mercedes as far as I know?

Do you have a source?
That was a question, I thought if it was McLaren-Mercedes, then there were Mercedes guys doing something there too...
If I'm wrong and they only put their name on the car like on Brawn last year (well they actually didn't put it on the BGP01^^, but it was still Brawn-Mercedes), then sorry.

EricB
EricB

On SpeedTV they played a radio transmission with Michael where he was being told to "be careful with applying the throttle and brake too much at the same time or the engine may stall" (or something close to that). Anybody know why this is? Safety reasons possibly, but I'm surprised the threshold is so low that it interferes with driving style?

Ciro Pabón

Please, reserve sarcasm for bullies. I think that not knowing something and wanting to learn about it is not a defect but a virtue.

That's my way to say that I'm up to my ears of members doubting about other members ability to have an opinion. I don't want to see any more posts where the answer is something like "How do you dare to say something if you don't work in F1?"

Puh-leeze, read this (it's the 574th time I give this link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipse_dixit

This is not Wikipedia: if you want sources, find them by yourself. It's sooo easy to do that (or, if you doubt the assertion, find a source against the opinion you disagree with and post it, by all means, you "sourcerers").

Also, if you think a post is of low quality, use the report button. Preachers should stay in church: after all, we, mods, can nag everybody by ourselves, we don't need your help for that, thank you very much.
Ciro

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ciro Pabón wrote:Please, reserve sarcasm for bullies. I think that not knowing something and wanting to learn about it is not a defect but a virtue.

That's my way to say that I'm up to my ears of members doubting about other members ability to have an opinion. I don't want to see any more posts where the answer is something like "How do you dare to say something if you don't work in F1?"

Puh-leeze, read this (it's the 574th time I give this link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipse_dixit

This is not Wikipedia: if you want sources, find them by yourself. It's sooo easy to do that (or, if you doubt the assertion, find a source against the opinion you disagree with and post it, by all means, you "sourcerers").

Also, if you think a post is of low quality, use the report button. Preachers should stay in church: after all, we, mods, can nag everybody by ourselves, we don't need your help for that, thank you very much.
Ciro was this aimed at my post asking Gangxxta where he got it from?
It was an innocent request, if there is a story that i havent found pertaining to staff movements from Mclaren to Mercedes GP, I would like to know about it.
I can live with it being opinion, no problem on that front. Just seeing if the opinion is verified so that I vould become more informed, the very reason I use this site.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Didn't see that it was offending :wink:

Enough offtopic :D

German commentators just quoted Ross Brawn, that they would rebuild this car in a complete different way if they were at the beginning of this season and had the same data like they have now.

marcush.
marcush.

Ganxxta wrote:Didn't see that it was offending :wink:

Enough offtopic :D

German commentators just quoted Ross Brawn, that they would rebuild this car in a complete different way if they were at the beginning of this season and had the same data like they have now.

hindsight ... he would have build an rb6 then? it would not have taken a lot of imagination to try and do just that... #-o

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

EricB wrote:On SpeedTV they played a radio transmission with Michael where he was being told to "be careful with applying the throttle and brake too much at the same time or the engine may stall" (or something close to that). Anybody know why this is? Safety reasons possibly, but I'm surprised the threshold is so low that it interferes with driving style?
Apparently the ECU considers a full throttle at the same time as lots of brake force is used as indicative of a problem (e.g. driver hitting the brakes because the throttle is stuck open) and so shuts down the engine.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

manchild
manchild

vealio wrote:lol, anyone seen Fry at BBC? Now he declared the blown diffusor is useless and they should have stayed with their old exhaust solution =D>
It seems the team is just lost. All the things they copied from others (F-Duct, exhaust...) turned out to be a disaster and their own things (Airbox, wheelbase) didn´t work either.
That's what happens when you tailor the car to fit the underachieving driver just to feed his and moneyblower's vanity.

Nico 5th, his holly neckpainess 10th, almost a second slower. They should have given Senna a surprise ride, but today's politically correct corporate F1 is so unimaginative and boring.

donskar
donskar

My two cents:

The 2009 Brawn was a once-in-a-lifetime coming together of a number of factors: Honda's lengthy, expensive development of the basic car, Brawn's technical and personnel leadership, the DDD, etc.

This year's car does not have those advantages. It's just another F1 car, and it's not among the best of them. (New ownership might actually have hindered this year's car.)

Next year we'll see the first mature effort from this team, and IMHO it'll be a good one. Brawn and Mercedes are too good a team not to be competitive. And (slightly off topic?) IMHO opinion, Schu's retirement might actually make the team better. I agree with manchild on that point -- just not as vehemently :lol:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

The FOZ
The FOZ

Just_a_fan wrote:
EricB wrote:On SpeedTV they played a radio transmission with Michael where he was being told to "be careful with applying the throttle and brake too much at the same time or the engine may stall" (or something close to that). Anybody know why this is? Safety reasons possibly, but I'm surprised the threshold is so low that it interferes with driving style?
Apparently the ECU considers a full throttle at the same time as lots of brake force is used as indicative of a problem (e.g. driver hitting the brakes because the throttle is stuck open) and so shuts down the engine.
If true, this is very interesting to me.

F1's been with the McLaren SECU for 2 (3?) seasons so far. When it came in, it was universally implemented; everyone had to get used to it at the same time. All the drivers who have debuted in F1 since the SECU came along have known no other way but the SECU.

Schumacher, on the other hand, had no experience with the SECU, or it's engine shutdown issue until this season. I believe he's also the only driver with significant driving time pre-SECU to have come back since the SECU has been introduced.

Does he use lots of brake under full throttle as part of his driving style? Does not being able to do so now, due to the SECU, explain some of his difficulties? Just speculation at this point, but what does applying large amounts of braking do for the tires at full throttle?

Obviously this isn't the only thing at work here, but perhaps this is a missing piece in the puzzle?

timbo
timbo

The FOZ wrote:Does he use lots of brake under full throttle as part of his driving style?
Michael indeed uses brakes/throttle simultaneously quite a lot.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I remember seeing traces from Schuie a few years ago where he was using up to 25% throttle whilst braking in corners. This was a way to change the effective brake balance fore and aft which changes how the car behaves mid corner. I wonder if he's trying to do even more of this to try to drive around the problems he has with the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

If I were a an ECU programmer I think I would define a throttle fault as a continuous application of the throttle for more than a certain time WHILE the driver is fully on the brakes. I mean, even MSC would not floor it for even 0.5 seconds while fully on the brakes. :-k
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

spacer
spacer

Remembered this MS vs barichello comparison, here's the link for those interested: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8183

If indeed the SECU has such a safety mode, that could have had a massive impact on schueys driving style compared to drivers that don't do this. But unless we know at what kind of throttle/brake percentages this mode kicks in, we might as well be seeing too much in this thing.

pipex
pipex

Teams can request changes to the SECU to MES? They should have something like support from them to fix this in a next version, making it a configurable parameter or something like that, if it indeed is the problem.
And why MS has not said anything about this before? or maybe he has but they could not fix this?
"We will have to wait and see".