Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Thanks n_anirudh, that a good picture

I didn't know they had dummy wheels, they look cool. I guess they are setting up the suspension/tracking in that shot? I'm surprised to see a measuring ruler and the steel yardstick - I'd have thought they would use a laser measuring/alignment system?

There is equipment in the side pods so they wouldn't be balancing the weight with that in place?

raymondu999

I see that they've resorted to using these so that they don't have to deal with degradation :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

setup wheels is making the job a lot easier...and removes hassle till suspension taking a set ,preloads from stering inputs,finding true track width etc.. it pays to have a set of those for every racecar.
Is it necessary to have them round ? for ease of measuring ,and avoiding cars to roll off the pads accidentially ..(with all those people around ..you can´t believe what does happen..)

worked with laser equipment it can be frustrating ...and i doubt it is worth the cost compared to a decent string for no real advantage ..

If you really want to know exactly you need CMM anyways ,or a digitising arm ( FARO,Romer)

autogyro
autogyro

Hmm, back on ball joints again.
Just shows that the old ways are probably still the best.
I remember using a steel strait edge and a long piece of string.
Worked though.

marcush.
marcush.

autogyro wrote:Hmm, back on ball joints again.
Just shows that the old ways are probably still the best.
I remember using a steel strait edge and a long piece of string.
Worked though.
isn´t it fascinating and romantic to see them using a steel ruler...
I had thought at the very least they use carbonfibre roving as a string and autoclved CF for the ruler....with bluetooth connection to the smartphone..

:wtf: :wtf:

ISLAMATRON

deus1066 wrote:
dougskullery wrote:Apparently Whitmarsh has revealed that a version of the F Duct was run on one of the McLarens at Monaco 2009. Does anyone have a link to a gallery of images from that weekend, so we can have a look?
Apparently Mclaren introduced an "unswitched" version to Monaco, so it wasn't driver controlled like the current one, and instead would work passively at a given speed. Here's the link:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/20/w ... -diffuser/

Hence there was no duct on the nose or shark fin to channel the air to the rear wing via the driver.

If I remember correctly it just looked like their usual rear wing last year, except with a hole in the middle of it. This would have been the intake and vented through a slot, stalling the wing at a given speed. Strangely, at the time I thought it was just to reenergize the flow and prevent the wing from stalling due to the steep angle of attack required at Monaco.
What is really strange is that McL chose to introduce it in monaco in 09(while taking off the KERS, understandably) but chose to remove the F-duct at 2010 Monaco

thestig84
thestig84

ISLAMATRON wrote:
deus1066 wrote:
dougskullery wrote:Apparently Whitmarsh has revealed that a version of the F Duct was run on one of the McLarens at Monaco 2009. Does anyone have a link to a gallery of images from that weekend, so we can have a look?
Apparently Mclaren introduced an "unswitched" version to Monaco, so it wasn't driver controlled like the current one, and instead would work passively at a given speed. Here's the link:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/20/w ... -diffuser/

Hence there was no duct on the nose or shark fin to channel the air to the rear wing via the driver.

If I remember correctly it just looked like their usual rear wing last year, except with a hole in the middle of it. This would have been the intake and vented through a slot, stalling the wing at a given speed. Strangely, at the time I thought it was just to reenergize the flow and prevent the wing from stalling due to the steep angle of attack required at Monaco.
What is really strange is that McL chose to introduce it in monaco in 09(while taking off the KERS, understandably) but chose to remove the F-duct at 2010 Monaco
They didnt remove the f-duct in Monaco. Other teams did but not Mclaren. It is too much of an integral part of the car.

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Was testing banned in 2009, too?

If so, Monaco might have been a good place to test the old blown wing, where it would have had little effect?

Therefore, if things went wrong with it (such as inexplicable high drag at high speeds?) it would have been less of a problem than if it was introduced at monaco?

Also, the old system was not particularly big or heavy compared to the current one? That would mean there would be less incentive to not use it while its effect was lower?

ISLAMATRON

thestig84 wrote:They didnt remove the f-duct in Monaco. Other teams did but not Mclaren. It is too much of an integral part of the car.
my mistake, thanks for the correction

Morteza

McLaren's front wing:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zgred

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Thanks Zgred!

New:
Old:

They have exposed more of the pipe and they seem to have changed the heat shield material

New:
Old:

Otherwise it looks pretty much the same from these views.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

marcush. wrote:setup wheels is making the job a lot easier...and removes hassle till suspension taking a set ,preloads from stering inputs,finding true track width etc.. it pays to have a set of those for every racecar.
Is it necessary to have them round ? for ease of measuring ,and avoiding cars to roll off the pads accidentially ..(with all those people around ..you can´t believe what does happen..)
I think I've seen triangular ones used on some GT cars at a ALMS race. We've used a steel square plate for our FSAE car. I suppose the round one allows you to roll it onto a scale...Though with their pneumatic jacks and stuff I don't see why they care....

Pup
Pup

Looks like this is designed to accept another piece. Some aero bits to influence the shape of the exhaust plume perhaps?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Courtesy of nextgen-auto.com

Looks like they have fixed the end of the exhaust to the floor there. Very nice details of the diffuser. Wonder what that grating behind the exhaust exit is for?