Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

The spiral is there to protect the wishbones as well. It looks like it keeps the gases from flaring out and up, onto the wishbone, and more focuses the gas straight out and more horizontally.

Looks like that first design was really a test piece.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85466
"The data that I saw from P1, albeit wet, was that the main peak airflow, the gas flow from the exhaust, temperatures, the performance, and the pressure tapping velocities were what we expected them to be.

"So unless something else has come to fruition, which I don't think it has, we should have the confidence that this floor will do everything we expected it to or most of what we expected it to."
pressure taps could be those little taps under the exhaust tip.
For Sure!!

lotus7
lotus7

ringo wrote: Image
Whatis the purpose of the white/light grey "thingy" just inside the rear wheel?
and why not made out of cf ?

raymondu999

I think that's a winglet added there for more downforce. Why it's not made out of CF... could it be ceramic to withstand the blown diffuser heat?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lkocev

I would still assume its made from CF, perhaps what we are seeing is a coating to improve the components ressistance to heat. I think there is ceramic based coatings that are used in this type of application.

zgred

Holm86

Dissapointing that the updates isn't working better. I am a bit afraid that mclaren is going to spend too much time on this complex version of their EBD and they cant get it to work proberly. Dont hope Ferrari will overtake them in the development race if they havent allready.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That heat-shielding has a little bit of damage, lets hope it doesn't propagate.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Not quite sure where your seeing the damage, things expand and shrink when subjected to different heats, that bit of red stuff underneath the edges could just be grease which has been squeezed out due to expansion.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Confused_Andy wrote:Not quite sure where your seeing the damage, things expand and shrink when subjected to different heats, that bit of red stuff underneath the edges could just be grease which has been squeezed out due to expansion.
Excuse the crudeness.

Lurk

Holm86 wrote:Dissapointing that the updates isn't working better. I am a bit afraid that mclaren is going to spend too much time on this complex version of their EBD and they cant get it to work proberly. Dont hope Ferrari will overtake them in the development race if they havent allready.
Don't forget Ferrari is running blown diffusor for the 4th time (advertisment run, Valencia, Silverstone and Hockenheim) so they have full comprehension of it.
It's only the 2nd run for McLaren. Drivers have to change their style and blown diffusor can be improved. And they don't have the "magic engine map".
They'll be better on tomorrow race. The major thing is to overtake quickly in order to get a podium. They still have the pace for that.

marcush.
marcush.

Owen.C93 wrote:
Confused_Andy wrote:Not quite sure where your seeing the damage, things expand and shrink when subjected to different heats, that bit of red stuff underneath the edges could just be grease which has been squeezed out due to expansion.
Excuse the crudeness.
also NOT very MCL:the washers and pozidrive screws holding that piece of whatever it
is.. :mrgreen: ..

ell66
ell66

the car just seems to clumsy allmost through tight twisty sections like sector 3. i can see them struggling in hungary as well.
allthough they do have a good chance of making up positions tomorow with there usually good race pace and strong straight line speed.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Here's an image that shows a hole in the side of the diffuser like the red-bull. I think.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... -1/088.jpg

marcush.
marcush.

Owen.C93 wrote:Here's an image that shows a hole in the side of the diffuser like the red-bull. I think.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... -1/088.jpg

I see 2 holes.. :shock:

siskue2005

wesley123 wrote:
ell66 wrote:the car just seems to clumsy allmost through tight twisty sections like sector 3. i can see them struggling in hungary as well.
allthough they do have a good chance of making up positions tomorow with there usually good race pace and strong straight line speed.
Well this is just RBR territory, all high speed turns this track, it suprises me Feraari could be that close.
actually there is only 2 high speed corner in this track
t1 and the turn to entrance of stadium section