Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Red Bull RB6

Boy, is there ever a race where Red Bull don't have some new wings to test? I wonder which one they settled on?

volarchico
volarchico

Those wings are proper art work...amazing.

strad

I doubt the exhausts are coated with anything, that would add weight..More interesting is the semi twin outlet exhaust.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mep

I would like to see their damper, bellcrank, spring, antirollbar arangement with pull-rod once.

Michiba
Michiba

zgred wrote:Image

Nice pics Zgred.

So is the actuator housed inside that larger connector between the two main elements?

Also, the smaller element gives a nice clue to the intended flow to the side of the wing.

volarchico
volarchico

Is there a reason that a few mm of leading/trailing edge of every element is left plain black carbon fiber?

lotus7
lotus7

volarchico wrote:Is there a reason that a few mm of leading/trailing edge of every element is left plain black carbon fiber?
Yep, stone chips on a painted surface( or decal for that matter) , especially if the paint is in the sponsors colour, gives negative image

marcush.
marcush.

Comparing the actuation with what we see on other cars this looks really tiny...i can´t believe everything could possibly fit in the flap and that little fin...may it be they just have one actuator in the middle between the wing stays and only have a
tube going outside to the fin moving the flap? I thought this would be anyways the best method ,saves one actuator and one thing less to fail..
Last edited by marcush. on 25 Jul 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

mep

I guess they just don't move anything.
What are they allowed to move the whole wing or just the 3rd. flap?
I can imagine that very sensitive wings can get messed up when you just move a flap. Looks like they rather want optimized aero with very thin and complex structures than the ability to move a wing 2 times a lap.
It also reduces the weight of the wing.

I heard a comment on BBC that the Silverstone wing was much lighter than the old one to help getting the optimal weight balance. This should have helped especially Mark (sounds like he is heavier than Vettel).

marcush.
marcush.

that carbonfibre finish fat fin looks like it is housing something ..I was also under the impression they do not adjust their front wing ,but on a transmitted radio connection webbers raceengineer Pilbeam told Mark he could leave the wing adjustment alone as the telemetry showed it was stuck...I have to admit that was in one of the first races ..but also then you could not really spot the part containing the adjustment mechanism..

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think they move the inboard part of the 3rd (rear-most) flap. If you look very carefully just to the right of the smaller of the two arched connectors (connecting 3rd to 2nd flap) you can see a couple of fasteners. There is also a very faint line running from the obvious split in the 3rd flap down next to these fasteners to the leading edge of the flap.

I think they have an axle-style pivot point there and the rest of the load is carried by the large carbon covered arched articulator.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pierre6
Pierre6

Hey guys!

Just heard Brundel say something about the front wing of the redbull flexing and this being investigated by the FIA ? What is this all about? Can somebody give some technical explanation what they are examining?

Cheers!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Ferrari too have a front wing mobile

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

You think Vettel's wing falling off in Silverstone was anything to do with the new flexible wing row? Apparently the whole thing moves.

fenix4life
fenix4life

while looking at the race you could clearly see the flex while arriving at the hair pin. While breaking you could see the winglet going back up. It was as clear as a few years ago with ferrari where the front wing detached from the nose cone at full trothle.

But, as the flex is measured with a weight before and after the race it's ok.
It's a bit the same stories at with the Michelin tires. During the tests they were ok but apparently not during the race. It this cheating. Not sure.