Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

what is hampering Mclaren?
why are they suddenly 25 sec off the race leader?
IS it the blown diffusor which is causing this problem?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Suspect Ferrari and RedBulls bendy wings have got something to do with it, but McLaren lacked downforce on this track. The best thing that could have happened this race was for the Ferraris to finish 1-2, meaning they lost less points to the RedBulls

volarchico
volarchico

lotus7 wrote:
timbo wrote:
volarchico wrote:Did anyone see Button's onboard video down the long fast stretch? It seemed to almost go unstable and I thought his camera was about to fall off. Any idea what would make this happen?
Yeah, noticed that too.
Maybe it was damaged during pit-stop?
Broken camera gimbal- let's move on....
Source? The camera was rolling side to side pretty violently. And what makes the camera gimbal break?

myurr
myurr

volarchico wrote:
lotus7 wrote:Broken camera gimbal- let's move on....
Source? The camera was rolling side to side pretty violently. And what makes the camera gimbal break?
Actually it was quoted on the BBC feed that it was the engine cover that was flexing and not the camera and that this had been discussed with the team who confirmed it as normal behaviour for that part.

marcush.
marcush.

jason.parker.86 wrote:Suspect Ferrari and RedBulls bendy wings have got something to do with it, but McLaren lacked downforce on this track. The best thing that could have happened this race was for the Ferraris to finish 1-2, meaning they lost less points to the RedBulls
they did lose points? they lost just 1 to redbull :Mclaren10+12,Redbull 15+8... :wink:

in effect Hamiltons lead extended by 4 points according to my calculation and RedBull needs to win next race ,Mclaren not.The pressure is on RB and Ferrari now
taking away points from them is almost tragic.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 72541.html

interview with Button ,he states that their aeropackage was not really fitting to the circuit characteristic and their best efficiency was with flatter wingsettings
and high topspeeds .this compromised his cornering speeds ..so he had a handful to keep on track ...when he was behind hamilton he decided not to attack as the cars had the same speed basically.. not much to be gained.

volarchico
volarchico

myurr wrote: Actually it was quoted on the BBC feed that it was the engine cover that was flexing and not the camera and that this had been discussed with the team who confirmed it as normal behaviour for that part.
Thanks for the informed post! I'm surprised that's normal behavior...talk about flexible!

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

McLaren usually go really well in race pace but ever since EBD their race pace seems to have suffered?

myurr
myurr

internetf1fan wrote:McLaren usually go really well in race pace but ever since EBD their race pace seems to have suffered?
Well this was the first race for the EBD so it's probably too early to tell. It's also their first real iteration of the EBD, they'll no doubt have some new parts for the next race and then another major step the race after. With Hungary being only 1 week away I'm not expecting much from the car other than hopefully a better setup, but by Spa they should have time (despite the factory shut down) to get a big upgrade to the EBD ready, hopefully with the new engine map that clearly helped Ferrari so much in Q3.

Personally I think they just got the downforce levels wrong (but then again I predicted an in race resurgence so what do I know!).

raymondu999

If they do copy the engine mapping ignition trick for Q3 qualy, I wonder if that would help to alleviate their "help I can't feed my diffuser because there's no fuel so the car's higher" problems.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

madly
madly

MP4/25 floor and DDD with dark parts brightened and sharpened.

wesley123
wesley123

now it is easy to see that that hole is much, much bigge then any other.

Also this is the cause of mclaren running stiff, by maintaining the ride height as much as possible the underbody flow is constant.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

for me it seems they just build this DDD to say: we have the biggest one.^^
seriously, this cant be efficient

peroa
peroa

Yep, I think so too, they went to far. Bigger is not always better.
Easy on the Appletini!

kalinka
kalinka

pascaljackson wrote:for me it seems they just build this DDD to say: we have the biggest one.^^
I must disagree on this one. They started the presesaon testing with a very much known huge DDD, and they tested it rigorously for weeks, and after the season has started they tested it and evolved it further. So I can't imagine a situation where McLaren is going half a season with a wrong DDD design. You must consider too, that they are leading both championships, and that's not just a coincidence after more than a half of a season.
If they can develop a blown diffuser within a few months, they also would abandon this huge DDD for now if they think it's slowing them.

wesley123
wesley123

pascaljackson wrote:for me it seems they just build this DDD to say: we have the biggest one.^^
That DDD is incredibly big and just needs alot of air, as you cant build on he length you gotta go further over the width to get the air, such hole in the floor isnt the most efficient way i agree, but there isnt any other direction to go. And like Kalinka said, If the diffuser was that bad they would have discarted it already.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender