COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Thanks for researching that. It sounds a bit illogical that slopes > 45° are > 100% but apparently this what they refer to.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

alelanza
alelanza

The logic behind is that the vertical part is a % of the horizontal one. So 100 meters vertical on 100 meters horizontal is a 100%, and yields a 45 deg angle. QUite logical in my view
Alejandro L.

godlameroso

So if the road is 30 meters wide that still leaves you with a 3 meter tall bank. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a similar or slightly higher banking to turn 8 in Turkey. I'm not against having corner combinations with that kind of banking at all, would be very interesting.
Saishū kōnā

Professor
Professor

US GP Site To Be Announced Tomorrow

I recieved a media invitation to the Tuesday, July 26 press conference to announce the site location for the 2012 US GP. The media release can be seen here:

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/07/ ... lood1.html

donskar
donskar

Re: US GP Site To Be Announced Tomorrow

Professor wrote:I recieved a media invitation to the Tuesday, July 26 press conference to announce the site location for the 2012 US GP. The media release can be seen here:

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/07/ ... lood1.html
Thanks. A positive step! Mind telling us which media outlet you represent?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Professor
Professor

I represent the site linked in my previous post. Nothing more.

Professor
Professor

FW17

Hope that is not the layout

ringo

I like it, it looks very natural. There are a couple of overtaking spots as well, though i don't like the final corner, too much like valencia's final corner.

I hope it has some good elevation changes like spa.
For Sure!!

outer_bongolia

Austin GP Site Revealed.

Here's an article from today's Austin American Statesman:
Future F1 Site Revealed

Here's an exact location on the map.
Map

It is very close to two major highways and the airport and not too far from the downtown. Perfect location I would say..
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

jon-mullen

Perfect except for that big housing development that looks to be ~1/4 mile away, yikes...
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

My track attempt for a anti clockwise track:

Red circiles = potential overtaking zones
Blue Circles = Slow Spped Zones

WhiteBlue

The actual site is smaller than your circuit layout.

WWW site of US GP Austin
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ray

jon-mullen wrote:Perfect except for that big housing development that looks to be ~1/4 mile away, yikes...
Yeah, that neighborhood is pissed about the track being there but they accepted the track over having 1800 small homes built there. I'd rather have a track. You could do what Homer Simpson did and charge for parking on your property by the number of axles on a vehicle.

WhiteBlue

Ray wrote:
jon-mullen wrote:Perfect except for that big housing development that looks to be ~1/4 mile away, yikes...
Yeah, that neighborhood is pissed about the track being there but they accepted the track over having 1800 small homes built there. I'd rather have a track. You could do what Homer Simpson did and charge for parking on your property by the number of axles on a vehicle.
I bet you can sell your property with a big win in some years to racing nuts who want to live there.

It is impressive to look at the list of people Hellmund got on his team: Billy Joe 'Red' McCombs is worth an estimated $1.3bn. McCombs sold his shares in the Clear Channel advertising firm in which he remained a board member.
McCombs wrote:Clear Channel will help with promotion. This is a natural for us to present because I think the media in America will respond to it, and that is the key to all of it. The company is the biggest in the world in its field. We look at it as what it would bring to our state here then we look at what it has brought to other countries. The good thing about this is that you are joining the world fraternity rather than being at a state or national level so the international scope is what truly interests me. My F1 investment is comparable to the other sports teams I have had ownership in, it reaches right up there.
We view the circuit as a year-round activity and that is what we are hoping to capture. We would like other top level series to come too.I think there will be a big financial return but that will come because of the ancillary programmes that will be put in place and not the race itself.

Further partners are Bobby Epstein of the Austin private equity firm Prophet Capital Management and former MotoGP World Champion Kevin Schwantz. MotoGP is a likely target as mentioned by McCombs.

But the list does not end there. Hellmund managed to get $25 mil out of the Texan tax payers to cover the start up cost of paying Ecclestone an estimated $20 mil with an annual increase. Finally he got Tilke on board who is an almost certain guarantee that the circuit is finished on time, meets FiA and FOM requirements and all the environmental requirements of the most picky country on earth (Germany). Tilke did the Nürburgring to the full satisfaction of the German authorities and his expertise in this field will make the Austin project sail through all environmental impact audits Austin and Texas may be thinking of. Hellmund simply has to make sure that he specifies a circuit that makes best use of the terrain features and pleases the American public.

I am pretty much sold on this project and I believe that the recent noises about alternative US locations are mainly there to get a second US GP. There is no way around the fact that Canada and Brazil will each need a second American venue to team up with for a usefull fly away. You can do Brazil and Austin in autumn in one go, but you still have Canada to twin with something like New Jersey or Indianapolis.