Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
internetf1fan
internetf1fan

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I reckon the McLaren would be faster if they stuck to their old car and their own design philosophy. I remember Andy saying that the car had much unlocked potential in Autosport forums. And now they suddenly decide to change to EBD? Why not unlock the potential of the old car first? The race pace of the old car was splendid and allowed regular high scoring points. With the new car it seems Hamilton and Button will be struggling to get 4th and 5th. think about it, how many podiums has the old car given us?

marcush.
marcush.

internetf1fan wrote:I reckon the McLaren would be faster if they stuck to their old car and their own design philosophy. I remember Andy saying that the car had much unlocked potential in Autosport forums. And now they suddenly decide to change to EBD? Why not unlock the potential of the old car first? The race pace of the old car was splendid and allowed regular high scoring points. With the new car it seems Hamilton and Button will be struggling to get 4th and 5th. think about it, how many podiums has the old car given us?
it is widespread fact that teams add .25s to their car potential per race ....unfortunatelly I does not really stack up to reality ....
The HRT is a washing machine on 4 bridgestone tires and not much has been shown in
terms of development .All involved have gone at lngths just how far behind the design is .assuming that all they do is ironing out reliability woes and fiddling around with setup options ....the gap towards the front should rocket now at a rate of 1 second per four races... in fact this is not happening or is it?

ell66
ell66

internetf1fan wrote:I reckon the McLaren would be faster if they stuck to their old car and their own design philosophy. I remember Andy saying that the car had much unlocked potential in Autosport forums. And now they suddenly decide to change to EBD? Why not unlock the potential of the old car first? The race pace of the old car was splendid and allowed regular high scoring points. With the new car it seems Hamilton and Button will be struggling to get 4th and 5th. think about it, how many podiums has the old car given us?
we've got to give this new package a couple of races to see the real effect.
the team openly aadmitted they ran a lower downforce package than the rest like in barain. i expect them to be a closer in hungary but still not on the level as the bulls or ferrari, mostly due to the tracks characteristics.
but come spa they should be looking with the type of track it is, along with more understanding of the ebd and possibly a new front wing ;)

wesley123
wesley123

internetf1fan wrote:think about it, how many podiums has the old car given us?
Less then this years car...

What you are saying is that you suggest they should run the MP4/24 again? I do not know if you are that stupid, but the MP4/24 is an old car, an car that is behind in development and overall in pace too, then it can have alot of unlocked development but i dont see the good thing of that since the car is way behind the standards of now. please, think!

And then i havent even said about homologation so they cant refer back.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

wesley123 wrote:

What you are saying is that you suggest they should run the MP4/24 again? I do not know if you are that stupid, but the MP4/24 is an old car, an car that is behind in development and overall in pace too, then it can have alot of unlocked development but i dont see the good thing of that since the car is way behind the standards of now. please, think!

he referred to the MP4/25 in its pre ebd config... I´d think..

Poleman

marcush. wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

he referred to the MP4/25 in its pre ebd config... I´d think..
Exactly...He is talking about MP4-25 before the EBD upgrade. :idea: No need to be that offensive as well.

peroa
peroa

wesley123 wrote:

Thinking before posting ...
=D>
Easy on the Appletini!

wesley123
wesley123

well he was saying old car, so i was thinking about last years car.

Anyway, you cant state mclaren went wrong after only 3.5 days of EBD testing and outside of that the regular development program will still continue.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

wesley123 wrote:well he was saying old car, so i was thinking about last years car.

Anyway, you cant state mclaren went wrong after only 3.5 days of EBD testing and outside of that the regular development program will still continue.
No, he was clearly (at least everybody except you see it as clearly) talking about the pre-ebd version of the car. Take this as a hint that maybe you can be less aggressive in your postings some time, doesn't hurt to ask for clarifications or just kindly point out mistakes.

wesley123
wesley123

read it over again and i must say i was a bit too agressive there, excuse me for that.

Pretty hard though for me to understand certain texts very well, as it is a very weak point for me, to understand the texts, have to read it over multiple times to understand it correctly.

And again, excuse me for my aggressive post.

marcush.
marcush.

I did not think it was overly aggressive..it was a misunderstanding ..people tend to be too lazy in banging out posts anyone who does email alot knows about this problem. take nothing for granted is a good start.and being polite.

Shaddock

It's also the law of diminishing returns. The EBD was supposed to give up between 3-5 tenths in it's first incarnation. That sort of return takes a lot of time and money in front/rear wings half way into a season.

ringo

The old car is not going to be more developed than the new one. The ebd is actually a development path for the old one, i don't see why it's being looked at as a derailment.
Realistically what is it that Mclaren could have done to the non ebd car?
I can't see anything making more gains than the ebd.
The reason it looks like Mclaren took a step back, is that the other teams made a bigger step. And this was just for Hockenheim, which was predicted to suit the ferrari more.

We may actually see Mclaren much closer in Hungary, they say they are confident in their no compromise downforce package, so lets wait and see.
For Sure!!

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

You're really beating that dead horse, mate. They've started developing the EBD and it's got enormous potential as evidenced by Ferrari. To suggest they stay the course would be nonsensical in most people's view.

ringo

ell66 wrote:
ringo wrote:I'll put these time gaps here, since it's relevant to the pace of the car. This is for valencia; the first 10 laps. Unfortunately the SC meant Alonso was not able to focus on his race and he was in traffic, so we can only use the first 10 laps to really get an idea of the pace. The cars are heavy so it reflects well on the overall performance of the cars. These are the gaps. The time data are in the race thread.

button Alonso_____hamilton alonso
0.02______________-0.01
0.419______________-0.708
1.146______________-0.187
-0.098_____________-0.59
0.943______________0.04
0.849______________0.364
0.692______________0.221
0.6________________0.33
16.997_____________0.197

Alonso is mostly faster than button here, even though button was racing kubica and webber in the first lap. Looking on the gap to hamilton, Alonso is faster from lap 5 till the accident; Hamilton's wing was broken as well.

The ferrari is not slower than the Mclaren and the new diffuser system may be more developed for the next race.
I think the f10 was the quicker car here, taking into account Button to Alonso's pace. Hamilton was still faster with the broken wing and then he slowed, so his times are not a good base, his driving is also exceptional at low fuel since he gets up to speed quickly.

Mclaren can't be complacent, they need the update at silverstone. Ferrari are yet to stretch the new f10s legs for us to write them off. And i am not even a ferrari fan, but those opening laps seemed convincing to me that mclaren will have a tough race in silverstone if the update does not bring the gains.
Im sorry but you can no make any kind of comparsion between the macs and ferrai's, hamilton had a damaged front wing, and even said afterwards he was understeering all over the place. and button was fighting for postion in the early laps.
IMO they were fairly evenly matched, but i exepct mcalren to have the edge in 2 weeks time, silverstone should suit the 25 and there f-duct well, and who knows what benefit this blown diffuser may or may not bring.

Just bringing up back and old discussion. Ferrari were faster in Valencia. Hamilton could see this himself.
Mclaren have been nowhere near ferrari for the past 3 races in terms of pace, and we still can't see a turnaround.

Hamilton:
"I have said since Valencia, since they [Ferrari] had their upgrade, that they are faster than us," Hamilton said at the Hungaroring. "Even though it didn't show in that race weekend and it didn't show in Silverstone, they have been faster than us for a while.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85642
That ferrair looked pretty planted back then in Valencia, they're showing their true colours now. Mclaren have it rough.
For Sure!!