Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Ah boy, that ass is huge. What's with the vertical holes on the side of the big hole?
All this is doing is making the beam wing less effective.

How much bigger is the mercedes engine package than the ferrari and renault. I truly believe that it's much bulkier.
The car looks like a submarine.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

actually it isn't that much different from the Red Bulls.

I can agree that that is pretty fat, but where else do you want the cooling holes? The old ones are obsolete as the exhaust isn't there anymore
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What was wrong with the gills and slimmer rear end? They had that version even with EBD IIRC.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

forty-two

mx_tifosi wrote:What was wrong with the gills and slimmer rear end? They had that version even with EBD IIRC.
I could be way off the mark here, and I'm sure people will shoot me down in flames if so, BUT:

I remember looking into cooling in some detail a few years ago after a PC of mine ran particularly hot (darn overclocking, too many HDDs etc!) and I learnt that in order to properly cool a given enclosure, one needs to allow for a greater flow volume on the exhaust than on the intake as of course the cool air drawn in will expand in the enclosure.

Could it be that RB have been exploiting this all season long, and McLaren have just gotten wise to it and are emulating it now? Perhaps the air coming out of that massive hole is at higher than expected pressure because it has expanded due to being heated by the rads/engine/etc???

In other words, "energising" the diffusor by feeding hot exhaust gas into it helps, so why wouldn't it also help to "energise" the rear wing in general and the beamwing in particular by venting all your hot air just in front of it?

Preparing to be shot down!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ringo

That theory works, but it's better for underneath the wings, when momentum and internal energy is more critical.
Better the beam wing is blasted with freestream air, than low momentum, more energized air. If We had radiator fans it would work.

look on the redbull's back for a comparison.

Mclaren need to pull down some of those 2x4 boards off their barn door diffuser.
They are in need of a new diffuser design.
For Sure!!

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

wesley123 wrote:actually it isn't that much different from the Red Bulls.

I can agree that that is pretty fat, but where else do you want the cooling holes? The old ones are obsolete as the exhaust isn't there anymore
I think it looks quite different:

forty-two

ringo wrote:That theory works, but it's better for underneath the wings, when momentum and internal energy is more critical.
Wow! That's praise indeed coming from you Ringo! You've made my day.

Plus you shot me down in fluffy pink flames! :lol:

Still, the airstream coming out there would be under the upper elements of the RW, wouldn't it help there anyway?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

New vs old

PlatinumZealot

THey should have just copied the redbull from the begining and fine tune from there. Just now they are copying? It's a little too late. :lol: No time to anaylyse reverse engineer and fine tune.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:New vs old
At least it's symmetrical now! :P

forty-two

n smikle wrote:THey should have just copied the redbull from the begining and fine tune from there. Just now they are copying? It's a little too late. :lol: No time to anaylyse reverse engineer and fine tune.
Who's to say that they haven't been analysing, reverse engineering and fine tuning since the RB6 was first unveiled, just not on the track???

In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't!

ell66
ell66

mx_tifosi wrote:What was wrong with the gills and slimmer rear end? They had that version even with EBD IIRC.
Im pretty sure its because the cooling demands of hungary are a lot higher than silverstone and germany.

ringo

This is a little interpretation of what they should do to copy redbull a little more, and lighten up on the Barn door aero. :lol:

looks a little basic graphics wise :mrgreen: , but the whole idea is to cut out that middle blade to help the ebd flow a little more. Red is diffuser holes foe exhuast.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

forty-two wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:New vs old
At least it's symmetrical now! :P
I think you got it the wrong way around. The one with 1 gill is the OLD cover. The one with a huge a**hole is the NEW cover.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

This venue is hotter then Germany.
imightbewrong wrote:
wesley123 wrote:actually it isn't that much different from the Red Bulls.

I think it looks quite different:
The idea is same, the mclaren is only built more into the width and red bulls more into the height.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender