Ferrari brakes

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
kaomaster
kaomaster

Ferrari brakes

The brakes article (http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2) says:
In order to further ease this cooling process, Ferrari introduced in 2001 passive cooling fans that rotate around the wheel's exis and at its same speed. It is in a way some kind of a gas turbo for the cooling of the brakes, powered by the rotating wheel.

Anyone know where I can find photos of the "passive cooling fans" that they're talking about? Thanks!

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Ferrari brakes

FLC wrote:Looks like Ferrari has new rims too:

kaomaster
kaomaster

I'm not sure I'm getting it, but is the cooling fan simply the wheel trim?

Holm86

It cant be those rims he is talking about. They are new for 2010 and he says it was something Ferrari intruduced in 2001 ....

scarbs
scarbs

I think he means the rumours that surrounded Ferrari when they introduced the all enclosing brake ducts in 2001. It was strongly rumoured and even reported by Piola et al, that the duct hid fans to power air through the brakes, as the ferrari inlet scoops were so small.
It transpired that this was never the case and that the barrel-like ducts were not specifically for brake cooling, but for aerodynamic beenfit. That year the frotn wing ride height was raised and the wings wake passed directly over the inner face of the wheels. The duct was there to to seal the wheel, smooth the airflow path over the inner wheel opening and prevent airflow passing from inside to outside the wheel.

Of course anything like a hub mounted fan would be movable aero and banned.

raymondu999

Maybe the spokes were shaped like fan blades? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

speedsense
speedsense

kaomaster wrote:The brakes article (http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2) says:
In order to further ease this cooling process, Ferrari introduced in 2001 passive cooling fans that rotate around the wheel's exis and at its same speed. It is in a way some kind of a gas turbo for the cooling of the brakes, powered by the rotating wheel.

Anyone know where I can find photos of the "passive cooling fans" that they're talking about? Thanks!
Not related to the Ferrari, but an example of a rotating brake "fan", note the blue wheel centers and the air exhaust vanes on the outside of the cone. They sucked air through the brake ducts connected on the inside of the wheel and exhausted the air to the outside of the wheel.

"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

747heavy

adding to Speedsense example,

similar "fans" where used in WRC Gr.A cars before banned.
Black carbon fan outside of front right wheel in this Lancia

I think Ferrari incooperated this concept into their new rims, making it an integral part of the wheel/rim
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

kaomaster
kaomaster

Thanks for the clarification, folks!

seenathkumar
seenathkumar

I think ferrari should come with some new technology and this will help them to maintain ranking.

oliviathn
oliviathn

In market one of the Ferrari car come with so many extra features. It gives a very good technologies in every new year. Ferrari is an Italian sports car manufacturer based in Maranello, Italy.

747heavy

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci