Impact of unlimited KERS on chassis design?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
WhiteBlue

Re: Impact of unlimited KERS on chassis design?

So let us assume a system where the front wheels which are only electrically driven have traction control. Why should traction control to the front be allowed and not be allowed to the rear wheels?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:So let us assume a system where the front wheels which are only electrically driven have traction control. Why should traction control to the front be allowed and not be allowed to the rear wheels?
No need for TC on the front wheels WB only torque bias control left to right.
There would need to be control from the ECU to balance the torque front to rear relative to throttle position though. It should be easy to prevent any attempts to get around the regs through tight control over the ECU technology as now.

747heavy

sorry slightly off topic (WB feel free to PM me, and I will delete), but maybe still interesting in the large sceme of things.

Porsche KERS in 24hr Nürburgring GT3 RS Hybrid

>>>>
Porsche calls it an "electrical flywheel power generator." It is a 40,000-rpm electric motor and generator that serves as the core of the GT3 R H's "push to pass" system. One electric motor lives at each front wheel; these motors act as generators under braking, charging the flywheel unit whenever the driver applies the brakes. (Yes, we said that a flywheel gets charged with something. Ignore the fuzzy terminology and go with it.) The driver can then direct the power generated — up to 120 kilowatts, or 60 kilowatts per front motor — to the front wheels at will.
<<<<<

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcIt0FP ... r_embedded#![/youtube]
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

autogyro
autogyro

The torotrac system has no connection with the Porsche/Williams hybrid.
Torotrac is an application of a toloroidal CVT/TVT transmission to a powertrain to control flywheel energy storage and energy apply mechanicaly.
The Porsche uses electricity harvested from the brake generator/motors to drive the storage flywheel up to speed, converting the energy into the spinning flywheel, which is in a vacuum. The energy is recovered electricaly and fed to the front wheel motor/generators.
All CVT or TVT transmissions use excess energy to keep the drive disks or cones (in a Van Dorne type system) under pressure to permit traction between the components. All CVT or TVT systems are less efficient than transfering torque electricaly and so are old technology.

autogyro
autogyro

At present flywheels have little potential for any large energy storage. However the newer batteries show promise for not only much higher levels of energy storage but harvesting and apply speeds at least equal to flywheels. For very rapid energy apply it is still better to use capacitors but this may not be the case soon.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:So let us assume a system where the front wheels which are only electrically driven have traction control. Why should traction control to the front be allowed and not be allowed to the rear wheels?
No need for TC on the front wheels WB only torque bias control left to right.
There would need to be control from the ECU to balance the torque front to rear relative to throttle position though. It should be easy to prevent any attempts to get around the regs through tight control over the ECU technology as now.
AG, I quit the discussion at this point. You are not answering my question. I asked for the justification why electric traction control to the front wheels should be treated any different to ICE rear wheel traction control by the governing body. You evaded that question and I do not know how to continue a discussion from here. My understanding is that the FiA must treat all competitors equal. If they find traction control with electric torque at one competitor they must treat this exactly in the same way as if they find traction control to the rear wheels. It cannot be allowed in my view in a fair set of rules.

Regarding the Williams system. It is nothing but an energy storage unit which converts electric energy into motion energy and motion back into electric. It is done by having a motor/generator functionality build into the rotor/case parts of the flywheel. The impact of using such a system on chassis design compared to electro chemical batteries is a space and weight disadvantage.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

I am unsure what you are asking WB.
I am not trying to justify traction control or launch control using either electric torque or ic torque, both should be allowed to break traction if the driver uses to much throttle.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:I am unsure what you are asking WB.
I am not trying to justify traction control or launch control using either electric torque or ic torque, both should be allowed to break traction if the driver uses to much throttle.
OK, now it starts to make sense again to me. We established the principle that driver aids like TC should not be allowed. The driver must have control over the accelerating and breaking torque simply by means of his pedal signal.

After we established that principle we now have to define what kind of rules are acceptable for the split between the two torques. If the driver is supposed to control the torque by his pedal he needs a predictable system that reacts consistently to his input. It means that the ECU controlling the dual torque must have a programmed rule how to split the torque from the two sources.

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:
autogyro wrote:I am unsure what you are asking WB.
OK, now it starts to make sense again to me. We established the principle that driver aids like TC should not be allowed. The driver must have control over the accelerating and breaking torque simply by means of his pedal signal.

After we established that principle we now have to define what kind of rules are acceptable for the split between the two torques. If the driver is supposed to control the torque by his pedal he needs a predictable system that reacts consistently to his input. It means that the ECU controlling the dual torque must have a programmed rule how to split the torque from the two sources.
The program must allow facility for the team and Kers developers to experement with the balance of torque recovery and apply and its distribution between the four wheels. However the rule you suggest WB should police any use of this work to produce TC ABS or LC. I see no other way to ensure ongoing development without artificial restriction of the core technology.

autogyro
autogyro

I think a full fly by wire system that alters the recovery and application of torque both ic and electric to suit all the variable inputs from sensors, ensuring the best combinations for highest performance both in lap times and fuel efficiency can be accepted, so long as there is an over riding throttle and brake input not subject to any control other than the driver.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:The program must allow facility for the team and Kers developers to experement with the balance of torque recovery and apply and its distribution between the four wheels. However the rule you suggest WB should police any use of this work to produce TC ABS or LC. I see no other way to ensure ongoing development without artificial restriction of the core technology.
Yes, I conclude that there must be a fixed algorithms which determine for each of the two pedals how the split is done dependent of the pedal position and other additional input variables. The input variables must include a map which will be the way teams can adapt the torque split function to their needs. But basically the algorithm and the input variables - which means the program structure - are common to all teams.

This program and its input variables must be designed to meet the legitimate requirements of all teams. For this to happen the teams must agree on a list of allowable input types. For instance a set of four or six selector dials that allow the driver to modify aspects like biases or other characteristics from the steering wheel. It also needs to be decided if an input like the battery energy level, brake temperature or the steering angle is a legitimate input. Today the torques are not allowed to be influenced by anything but the pedal. If that is to change teams will have to decide before. It could be legal to assist the turn in by electrical torque or not, depending of the rules that are agreed.

So certain foreseeable choices about the legality of input devices and variables should be made or the philosophy of brakes and acceleration under driver control will not be possible. A race car is supposed to be different compared to a fully hybrid road car which automates all these functions and provides the driver aids.

And to come back to the topic the choice of input variables also impacts on the chassis design. If you allow turn in assist it will influence the numbers, the specs and positions of your motor generators.

autogyro
autogyro

I am a little worried that to produce a common program structure with a defined and fixed set of input variables will place an artificial block on a largely unexplored area of technological advance.
Although I am well aware of the need for fair regulation, in principle I have always been against the use of convenient 'computer freezes' to achieve level playing fields. It is in a way a cop out. I would increase the technical base at the FIA to ensure proper policing of the regulations.

autogyro
autogyro

Sorry.
On topic, I do not think that chassis design will alter significantly if the fuel allowed, dimensions and downforce limits are properly defined.
The number of motor/generators is fixed at three if AWKERS is allowed.
Using four with one on each rear axle would IMO stretch the TC rule to far by virtue of providing an electronic torque biasing differential.
On the front axle such biasing is essential if AWKERS is to be used at all.
Drive shaft torque would require a redesign of the front suspension and the tub and space would have to be made for the motor/generators at the front.
This would of course need a completely new car design to redefine the basics.
However this happens every year.

timbo
timbo

autogyro wrote:I am a little worried that to produce a common program structure with a defined and fixed set of input variables will place an artificial block on a largely unexplored area of technological advance.
My point exactly. WB apparently believes all fine and dandy in that respect.
Although I am well aware of the need for fair regulation, in principle I have always been against the use of convenient 'computer freezes' to achieve level playing fields. It is in a way a cop out. I would increase the technical base at the FIA to ensure proper policing of the regulations.
One way could be placing torque and wheel speed sensors with logged output for FIA to check.
They would be able to detect no wheelspin and torque-limiting action, if team wishes to use ABS, TC or ESP.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:The number of motor/generators is fixed at three if AWKERS is allowed.
Using four with one on each rear axle would IMO stretch the TC rule to far by virtue of providing an electronic torque biasing differential. On the front axle such biasing is essential if AWKERS is to be used at all.
Why is that a given? Can't the torque to/from the front wheels be provided by one MGU and a differential? Is that necessarily a heavier alternative?