Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB6

I need to backtrack a bit now. I think Lewis meant the 2009 McLaren had half the downforce of the 2009 RB5.

Regarding the 3rd damper/spring, why that one in particular? Wouldn't it also be similarly affected with regards to downforce/rideheight? (Mods if this question is veering off please feel free to transport into another/new thread)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mep

@747heavy:
Where have you found that second picture of the rear suspension?
Its very nice.

747heavy

mep wrote:@747heavy:
Where have you found that second picture of the rear suspension?
Its very nice.
http://www.gurneyflap.com

but I think it was also posted by others on this BB/Forum before
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

747heavy

raymondu999 wrote:I need to backtrack a bit now. I think Lewis meant the 2009 McLaren had half the downforce of the 2009 RB5.

Regarding the 3rd damper/spring, why that one in particular? Wouldn't it also be similarly affected with regards to downforce/rideheight? (Mods if this question is veering off please feel free to transport into another/new thread)

well we will go way off topic, but I will try to make it short & simple.

if we talk about suspension movement, we have some basic modes
roll (movement of the car body/sprung mass left to right around the roll axis)
pitch (movement of the car body/sprung mass fore and aft around the pitch axis)
heave(movement of the car body/sprung mass up and down, parallel to the ground)
wrap (opposing roll of front and rear axle)
single wheel event/input (only one wheel moves (up or down), small bump in the road etc)

and combinations of the modes e.g. roll+pitch (cornering and braking at the same time)

a "normal" car with 4 spring/dampers (one for each wheel) can only use this 4 dampers/springs to control all the modes. So if you need to support more downforce (aero load) you would need to stiffen these springs.
But this will affect all the other modes as well, and this is not allways good.

So if possible, you try to de-couple this modes as much as you can, so you can tune them seperate and indepentend of each other.
The most easy and simple example is the Antiroll bar (ARB) which is basicly a spring which only works in the roll/wrap mode, and a bit in the single wheel event mode (half the ARB rate), but did not do anything in pitch or heave events.
So if you stiffen the ARB´s of your car, the car will roll less, but still ride the same and react the same to heave and pitch events (e.g. under braking)
So you can tune the roll/wrap mode indepentend fom the pitch/heave mode

Now if you add a 3rd spring/damper like in a F1 car, you have a device, which works most when both wheels of one axle move in the same direction at the same time. This is the case in pitch and heave events.
In perfect roll mode (the damper/spring one one side compresses the other extends at the the same amount) this damper/spring don´t move at all.
You can have a car which is soft in roll but stiff in heave/pitch.
In the event of a single wheel movement, the 3rd damper/spring will move at half the amount of the single wheel damper/spring.

Aero load (downforce) is speed dependent and is a heave/pitch event.It moves/presses the body/sprung mass of the car towards the ground. If you have the same downforce front and rear, the body will move parallel closer to the ground.
If you have more on one axle the car will also pitch, changing it´s rake (ride heigth front to rear)
With the 3rd spring/damper you have control over this motion, without affecting the roll stiffness of the car, and you can control the pitch angle of the car as well, by choosing different stiffness front to rear.

At low speeds (corners, beginning of straight) the 3rd spring can be disengaged (gap to the bumpstop at the 3rd damper for example) and you can use the softer spring/dampers at each wheel for better traction/grip.
You see at the first photo of the Ferrari suspension the gap before the bellville washers get in contact (3rd spring)and the white plastic washers (packers).With this packers you can modify(take them off or put more) the point when the 3rd sping comes into play (at which ride height)
Therefore a 3rd spring gives you the option to control your aeroload/ride height at high speeds, without affecting and compromising the low speed grip and the roll stiffness of your car at the same time. (or less so)

maybe have a look at the youtube videos in this thread for a better understanding of the above.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8737&start=60

Sorry long post and way off topic, but I hope it makes a bit of sense, and answers your question.
If not, please feel free to PM me.

look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

747heavy

slightly different angle :

Last edited by 747heavy on 18 Aug 2010, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
- Colin Chapman

wesley123
wesley123

that isnt the old radiator ;) At least not from last years car if you ent that, look at the exhaust position
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

747heavy

wesley123 wrote:that isnt the old radiator ;) At least not from last years car if you ent that, look at the exhaust position
Yeap sorry Wesley I know, it´s a RB6, just got tricked because it was in another R30 thread
- Colin Chapman

mep

I still hope for a answer for that different tube size discusion we had here.
Hmm on this picture they don't even look that different.

wesley123
wesley123

well, wer havent seen the other side of the radiator, maybe it is similair there, that you have on big and one small in and same out?

747heavy

Vettel´s RB6 in Silverstone with failed nose cone:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f2dCclIT9q8/T ... ictory.jpg
- Colin Chapman

747heavy

floor EBD details:

suspension front:
- Colin Chapman

wesley123
wesley123

incredible how clean its carshape is, what also is interesting is how the bodywork flows over into the DDD, instead of how the other teams do it here isnt created an ofset in the diffuser wall, here the sidepod flows in it, wich also is an strength of it.

seinfeld
seinfeld

question everyone keeps talking about the wings on redblls. Clearly Adrian and redbull are confident with the wings validity, which would indicate that its not the wing thats flexing, I see the suspension dropping as d/f increases, however I think they are using regressive rate springs so as the downforce comes the car drops creating more wing downforce, is that why they are confident their wing is linear to 100kg @20mm ??

Tim.Wright

If I understant correctly, the minimum wing height is measured from the reference plane on the chassis not the floor. Therefore with a soft suspension you will bottom out the floor before first before the wing.

This is why there are suspicions of the flexing floor. Then you can have a stiff wing and soft suspension.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

marcush.
marcush.

but what makes the floor bend up to allow for this additional bump travel being usable? it can´t work like you are riding the splitter constantly near the ground...
so somewhere the tub must buckle /the splitter fixing point must move up with those last mils of suspension travel...
I wonder why that strap holding carrying the splitter board has this extension in the middle ....whereas the ends are not that long chord..a lot of teams use this shape..