Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
senftl
senftl

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

747heavy wrote:MP4/25 @ Spa

The profile looks similar to the one used in Turkey/Canada, but the slits (on the endplate) are diagonal now. Didn't notice that before... at least on the mclaren.

wesley123
wesley123

thank you for repeating what i already said...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

wesley123 wrote:thank you for repeating what i already said...
Way to welcome somebody to the board...

ringo

segedunum wrote:
ringo wrote:These are his words. The word compromise is not used.
Hmmmm. I'll highlight a different part of that, shall I Ringo, because what you've highlighted is pretty irrelevant? :-
"It all depends on where you want to be for total aero efficiency," he said. "There tends to be a herd instinct in Formula 1 of where the downforce and end-of-straight speeds are set.

"Other teams have F-ducts and are performing well in straightline speed. If we think there's an advantage from it, we'll run it. If taking the weight of running it out and making the rear wing more efficient is effective, we'll do it. But it's all just fine tuning, it doesn't make a big enough difference to win or lose you a race."
I've highlighted the relevant part in bold and the relevant subsection in italics.

How did you miss that? What he's saying there is that the system costs weight and, most importantly, that the rear wing will be more efficient without it, ergo that the F-ducted rear wing is less efficient. [/quote]

No you misunderstood what he said. a Monza wing, which is much different, would be more efficient, not the others. The F duct principle wont work with a averaged cambered wing. The wing needs to be near vertical.

It wouldn't make sense that the typical F duct wing is less efficient than a normal wing. They wouldn't be running it at spa or anywhere else.
Wesley123's post is a perfect explanation.
For Sure!!

kalinka
kalinka

Hamilton no too optimistic about the car :(

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 26567.html

Holm86

The rear wings on the mclarens had horizontal slits not diagonal in P1.

ell66
ell66

the front wing is different also. te curved inner element is gone by the looks of it.

timbo
timbo

Rear-view cameras mounted on a front wing gave wonderful view on FW aero today!
Due to rain you could see very long and stable vortex that seemed to shed from inner parts of flaps and went across the sidepods.
Anyone made screenshots of this?
If no I'd try to make them myself in a few days time.

thestig84
thestig84

timbo wrote:Rear-view cameras mounted on a front wing gave wonderful view on FW aero today!
Taken from the Spa thread

zgred

astracrazy
astracrazy

what are they gaining by losing that end bit of the top front wing plane?

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:No you misunderstood what he said.
No...... I didn't. He mentioned nothing about a 'Monza wing', nor did he talk about 'typical' F-duct wings either.
a Monza wing, which is much different, would be more efficient, not the others.
What others? The Monza wing is merely a normal wing that a team takes to Monza with as much drag taken off as possible. The principles are exactly the same. We haven't even seen what wing they're taking to Monza.

Nevertheless, he's still saying that the wing is more efficient without the F-duct, if by some stretch their 'Monza wing' works drastically different, so it's still a compromise. We're splitting some hairs there though - it's a compromise at some tracks and not others? I'd call that a compromise over the whole season if that was true, but that's as good as it gets.
The F duct principle wont work with a averaged cambered wing. The wing needs to be near vertical.
So....it's a compromise. However, as I'd explained if the system worked as it should in theory then they'd be able to run more wing for free and still run the system. They obviously feel they can't. Monza is the one track where you'd feel there would be a significant advantage to doing that if it was 'free', and they're having to think twice.
It wouldn't make sense that the typical F duct wing is less efficient than a normal wing.
Why, and why are we talking about a 'typical' F-duct wing to try and get round this?

GTO

thestig84 wrote:
timbo wrote:Rear-view cameras mounted on a front wing gave wonderful view on FW aero today!
Taken from the Spa thread
That is a great perspective view. =D> Any one seen pic of where on the front wing they mounted that camera as not to counteract any of the wing's complex air flow objectives? Perhaps it is mounted only for practice session for their pre race analysis.

GTO

Opps, quite dumb of me! :oops: It obviously must be on the left camera aerofoil, except facing rearward.

Pup
Pup

segedunum wrote:
"It all depends on where you want to be for total aero efficiency," he said. "There tends to be a herd instinct in Formula 1 of where the downforce and end-of-straight speeds are set.

"Other teams have F-ducts and are performing well in straightline speed. If we think there's an advantage from it, we'll run it. If taking the weight of running it out and making the rear wing more efficient is effective, we'll do it. But it's all just fine tuning, it doesn't make a big enough difference to win or lose you a race."
I've highlighted the relevant part in bold and the relevant subsection in italics.

How did you miss that? What he's saying there is that the system costs weight and, most importantly, that the rear wing will be more efficient without it, ergo that the F-ducted rear wing is less efficient.
This bit I think you're getting wrong. It isn't the f-duct which causes the inefficiency, but the underlying shape of the wing. A steeper wing gives more downforce, but adds more drag; i.e., less efficient. The f-duct removes some of that inefficiency by removing some of the drag, which is why they use it. But there are limits to its effectiveness at both extremes, so there will be a point at lower angles of attack at which the ducting adds nothing, or too little to warrant the trouble, weight, etc. So McLaren aren't saying that the wing would be more efficient without ducting; they are saying that a more efficient wing doesn't need ducting. The requirements for Monza are probably right on the edge of requiring a wing that would benefit from ducting, hence McLaren's indecision at the moment.

You could call it a compromise because of the weight, but there's a very long list of things on the car which you could describe that way.