Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

segedunum wrote:
ringo wrote:No you misunderstood what he said.
No...... I didn't. He mentioned nothing about a 'Monza wing', nor did he talk about 'typical' F-duct wings either.
He was referring to the wing which would be used at Monza. That's why the engineers are still considering it.
a Monza wing, which is much different, would be more efficient, not the others.
What others? The Monza wing is merely a normal wing that a team takes to Monza with as much drag taken off as possible. The principles are exactly the same. We haven't even seen what wing they're taking to Monza.
The principle does not hold on low cambered shaped wings. If you look in the wing stalling thread you would see why. We haven't seen what they will be taking to Monza, but looking on the past years, one could confidently guess what type of wing they will show up with.
Nevertheless, he's still saying that the wing is more efficient without the F-duct, if by some stretch their 'Monza wing' works drastically different, so it's still a compromise. We're splitting some hairs there though - it's a compromise at some tracks and not others? I'd call that a compromise over the whole season if that was true, but that's as good as it gets.
Yes i know it could be called compromise at Monza specifically. By the way, your idea of compromise over the whole season is not relevant. Why? Because cars aren't in continuous parc ferme for the whole season. Your ignoring the fact that teams only do one race at a time, and can freely interchange parts between races. They would be more concerned with overall compromises in turns or sectors, than with overall races over the season.
There are countless parts, such as endplates, splitters etc. that have no weaknesses for one weekend, though may be unsuitable at another track. Teams don't care much for that; tracks and conditions change. It can't be helped that 1 part cannot be perfect for 19 of 19 races. It only needs to be advantageous on the day.
The F duct principle wont work with a averaged cambered wing. The wing needs to be near vertical.
So....it's a compromise. However, as I'd explained if the system worked as it should in theory then they'd be able to run more wing for free and still run the system. They obviously feel they can't. Monza is the one track where you'd feel there would be a significant advantage to doing that if it was 'free', and they're having to think twice.
The system may work, but the balance between running more rear wing and top speed gained is probably within a small range of adjust-ability. There is no advantage if say the f duct can gain 0.5kph on the straight, while when it's not being used it's just taking up space on an already space limited wing.
It wouldn't make sense that the typical F duct wing is less efficient than a normal wing.
Why, and why are we talking about a 'typical' F-duct wing to try and get round this?
Because you have been trying to prove that the F duct has draw backs for the past 12 races. Mclaren clearly wont use something that is overall less efficient. Monza is the only case where the F duct is seen as dead weight, all because the wing is not the wing typically used with the F duct.
I am not trying to get around anything, the part is intended to work with a near vertical wing. That is the principle of operation. That's just how it is.
So it simply wont work effectively on a lesser cambered, shorter, Monza wing.

I'm of the opinion that the F duct only needs to be an unfair advantage for a weekend at a time; that makes sense. Thus like other parts, Mclaren have designed it with the intent of being removable. It wouldn't be wise if The F duct was the key stone of the car's design or performance. It's not homologated like the tub.
For Sure!!

zgred

PlatinumZealot

They removed the wavy upper wings. Interesting.. permanent change or just for this track?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

If it is a permanent change, I wonder though. It's interesting that all the teams are seemingly converging on this Brawn BGP001 esque cascade. Red Bulls have migrated towards it, Williams have it, Merc still have it, Renault have it... interesting.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

That's true Raymond, it resembles BGP001 front wing.
Here's a pic of last year Spa:

And Mercedes has not changed it much since last year.

Here's W01 front wing:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

The only competitive team to not use that style of cascade is Ferrari now
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

Any Spa pictures of MP4-25 rear? I wonder how high is their ride, as it seems both F10 and RB6 are pretty high at the rear (more rake).

raymondu999

Best I could find: Image
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Best I could find: Image
Thanks!
Tough to say, seems pretty high too.

ell66
ell66

Lewis and jenson ran different wings than each other qualy.
lewis apeared torevert back to a turkey/canada spec wing with jenson using the new one they brought here.

raymondu999

Maybe one of the mountings snapped, and they chose due to practice and the championship position who should/shouldn't get the wing? :mrgreen: (Please note that I'm just being mischevious here and I mean no malice)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66
ell66

raymondu999 wrote:Maybe one of the mountings snapped, and they chose due to practice and the championship position who should/shouldn't get the wing? :mrgreen: (Please note that I'm just being mischevious here and I mean no malice)
well i noticed lewis went back to the old style wing at the end of FP3, and obviously kept it on from there.

senftl
senftl

Diffuser Saturday - good view of the blown hole on the left.

Can anyone tell me, why they want this high air pressure zone at the rear crash structure - right before the point the the car gets lifted? Does it pull more air from the inside of the diffuser's lower deck, due the higher speed of the little upper deck?

wesley123
wesley123

Could it just be that the blowing exhaust works on the sidewalls and not in the diffuser itself? Afterall i believe that hole is always been there as it gives clearence for suspension arms.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

the opening is a bit further upstream ,I think.