Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I dont see any other hole apart from the one that provides clearance for the lower suspension arm, and that hole has been there all year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

you are probably right ..

but on this older picture one has the impression there must be some opening from above as theres a lot of detail to be seen in the upper decks of the difusser...

wesley123
wesley123

indeed, and now you say it, on the left side just above those wavy things i can see a slit(almost right above it). On that point there is just way too much light, so maybe the hole is there where it bleeds, but that wouldnt be logical, as the exhaust blows to the sides
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Quick question, earlier in the week McLaren said they wern't going to run the F-Duct at Spa, is that what their doing or changed their mind?

Everyone else is running it (i think)

ell66
ell66

Confused_Andy wrote:Quick question, earlier in the week McLaren said they wern't going to run the F-Duct at Spa, is that what their doing or changed their mind?

Everyone else is running it (i think)

it monza your thinking about, theyve yet to decide for that race.

marcush.
marcush.

they were always talking about Monza i think..

difusser openings .. oh my we should ask Scarbs ..i feel heยดs the only guy coming close enough to these cars ...and in the know what to look for...and willing to share..

PlatinumZealot

senftl wrote:Image

Diffuser Saturday - good view of the blown hole on the left.

Can anyone tell me, why they want this high air pressure zone at the rear crash structure - right before the point the the car gets lifted? Does it pull more air from the inside of the diffuser's lower deck, due the higher speed of the little upper deck?
That hole was always there for the tie rod. The real EBD hole might be further in.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

WhiteBlue

I don't know if someone mentioned it but McLaren had a Q3 type retarded ignition mapping in qualifying on Hamilton's car for then first time today. They must have gained significant downforce through the slow corners like Bus Stop by it. Marc Surer who is a bit of an expert on engine sounds realized it immediately in Q2 when they used it. I don't know if Button had it as well.

I guess that we will also see it soon on the Mercs. McLaren cannot do such things without MBHPE knowing about it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

Hmm.. interesting..

But why wouldn't Button have it? :roll: Sigh..the media...
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

twoshots
twoshots

WhiteBlue wrote:I don't know if someone mentioned it but McLaren had a Q3 type retarded ignition mapping in qualifying on Hamilton's car for then first time today. They must have gained significant downforce through the slow corners like Bus Stop by it. Marc Surer who is a bit of an expert on engine sounds realized it immediately in Q2 when they used it. I don't know if Button had it as well.

I guess that we will also see it soon on the Mercs. McLaren cannot do such things without MBHPE knowing about it.
MBHPE produce the engine mappings and test them on the dyno, so MBHPE would probably know about it ;)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I would expect McLaren to have enforceable non-disclosure clauses in its contract with MBHPE to prevent other teams (including the Merc GP team) from obtaining info from them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

Iยดd say ..yes..but.. how do you prevent that happening?they come up with a requirement or proposal ,Mercedes engine will decide if they are going to pursue..same engine as MERC works..same people taking decisions.. So what ?
In effect they need to share to make the most out of it.Think about RedBull getting those engines .. they would demand the Q3 maps ...and it would be obvious to merc what they left on the table there...

fausto cedros

WhiteBlue wrote:I don't know if someone mentioned it but McLaren had a Q3 type retarded ignition mapping in qualifying on Hamilton's car for then first time today. They must have gained significant downforce through the slow corners like Bus Stop by it. Marc Surer who is a bit of an expert on engine sounds realized it immediately in Q2 when they used it. I don't know if Button had it as well.
tv

I thought exactly the same when i saw on the tv the exhaust reinforcement soldered in place. Italian commentators also mentioned phonometry but they missed the point: the bang bang like mapping to make the EBD work.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

boydy19
boydy19

Interesting to note the new sound coming from the exhaust today in the race? Could the noise in quali yesterday be just the new updates to the ebd rather than the retard ignition. I instantly recognised the sound yesterday in quali but it was also in the race?

ringo

Yes, when hamilton was braking into one of the down hill sector 2 turns.
It had a low rumble, a kind of vuvuzella like note. It sounds pretty good, some were wondering if Merceds found a way to make it safe enough to not affect engine reliability so that it can be used in the race.
The turn where it was used was pretty much where the rear stability was needed in the wet conditions; a downhill swoop. It was also when the car was being driving carefully, not on full blast, making increased gas flow even more necessary.
Well at least this is what i think is happening now.
For Sure!!