Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Rino

Re: Red Bull RB6

With the current testing methods... ](*,)

Btw Gilgen do u work in RB or something...I mean how can u be so sure in RB6 legality?
It's Adrian Neweys car were talking about... :^o

strad

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

The cable is for the adjustable front wing...calm down
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

aral
aral

Rino wrote:With the current testing methods... ](*,)

Btw Gilgen do u work in RB or something...I mean how can u be so sure in RB6 legality?
It's Adrian Neweys car were talking about... :^o
I read the technical reports on FIA.com!
Last edited by aral on 30 Aug 2010, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

I am talking about the crooked carbon-fibre worm that does all the magic, if only people could see the obvious there.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mandrake
Mandrake

All the fuss about a car that didn't even win today's grandprix, nor did it show extraspecial performance this weekend ;)

mep

Do you think the current wing deflection tests are still good enough, or do you believe teams are focusing only on getting through scrutineering and then doing other things out on track?

AC: The front wing FIA load is roughly 2.5 times lower than the maximum load you would get at top speed. So there is room to increase the load, but then it is a matter on how to apply the load statically in the garage. It is not easy. But we would be quite happy to increase the load on the wings. We are quite far from the top speed maximum load, so the wing can accept a higher load for sure in terms of the FIA test. There are no issues on that front from our side.
What load to test the wings is he revering to?
Is it now 50kg or 100kg and both sides or just one?
I would like to know the maximum downforce such a wing can produce.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/782.html

Interesting that the 100kg load is applied thru the middle sections, rather than the endplates as previously...

strad

xpensive wrote:I am talking about the crooked carbon-fibre worm that does all the magic, if only people could see the obvious there.
Yes but theyre talkin about the bit of cable that was seen hanging from the wing ex post wrecko :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

autogyro
autogyro

Mandrake wrote:All the fuss about a car that didn't even win today's grandprix, nor did it show extraspecial performance this weekend ;)
Surely you mean the Ferrari F10.

fausto cedros

james allen wrote wrote: After the heated debate in Germany and Hungary about the Red Bull front wing flexing to increase front downforce, a new more stringent test was introduced by the FIA. Red Bull passed the test.
The Red Bull wing at Spa featured fewer elements than the Hungary wing and observers say that it did not flex out on track as much as in Budapest. The team says that they have changed nothing in the wing apart from things they would normally do when moving from an ultra high downforce circuit like Hungary to a faster circuit like Spa. However senior composites technicians from the team’s Milton Keynes base, who do not normally attend Grands Prix, were noticed in the paddock, which means that something out of the ordinary was taking place. The theory is that the wing flexes outwards due to a sophisticated layering process of the carbon composite material.[
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

747heavy

n_anirudh wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/782.html

Interesting that the 100kg load is applied thru the middle sections, rather than the endplates as previously...

Sorry, but I think what they state on F1.com is incorrect.
The 500N (~50kg) test was not carried out at the endplates.
You can go and check for yourself in the FIA F1 regs (on the FIA website)
if you like.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

xpensive
xpensive

fausto cedros wrote:
james allen wrote wrote: ...
The theory is that the wing flexes outwards due to a sophisticated layering process of the carbon composite material.[
I'll be darned, aren't they clever those engineers?

Btw strad, the thing hanging out of the wreck was a cord, not a cable.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

I'll rewatch but not today...I'm beat
Sir Stirling Moss

forty-two

I see no mechanical reason for the FW flap adjust to include a flying lead. When other teams have changed their nose mid race, I've certainly never seen any "plugging-in" of any connector. I'd always assumed that they must use some kind of edge connector or sprung voltage transfer contacts for this very reason.

So why would a team as technically advanced as RB carry the extra weight of a flying lead arrangement?

Also, if as Ted Kravitz said, Vettel's FW adjuster was no longer functional, how did he notch up at least one fastest-lap?

Seems a bit fishy to me...
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

xpensive wrote:Btw strad, the thing hanging out of the wreck was a cord, not a cable.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is your distinction between cord and cable?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?