Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

murtoidf1 wrote:
zgred wrote:Image
what is happening to the air going into the intake usually used for the f duct, the one above the engine intake? are there any vents behind it?
It exits through a nozzle below the rear wing.

seinfeld
seinfeld

they don't have any openings at all on the rear this time, they have some slits, instead of the big gaping holes the likes of redbull run

Shaddock

So what's a quicker setup, With or without the F-duct, given that Button hasn't had the the non F-Duct setup and has been a couple of tenths off Lewis all season?

Looks a tough call to me #-o

marcush.
marcush.

don´t forget ,the team has a lot more data and in Hamilton at least one driver who has tried both configurations.so I´m sure their picture is very clear.
Maybe they split their chances and have Button on the f-duct car giving him more confidence in the braking areas and quick corners ..?

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

seinfeld wrote:they don't have any openings at all on the rear this time, they have some slits, instead of the big gaping holes the likes of redbull run
did u see the nozzle where the f duct intake gas comes out?

any pics?

zgred

Any good so far...

Partially broken front wing on the last one.

And from TV blur one:

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

zgred wrote:Any good so far...

i cant see the nozzle from there :/

but the car's end is the same

Holm86

I think it looks awsome without that ugly f-duct tunnel/sharkfin .....

raymondu999

I think it looks like the b*st*rd lovechild of an MP4-24 and an MP4-25 :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

Still they seem to be running lot more wing than a couple of years back. That ront wing on McLaren Mp4-25 looks so heavy

seinfeld
seinfeld

its clear F1 is going backwards to that picture just above this post. its a shame really, the Mclaren with all its curves and low profile, and that V wing looks amazing, that era was F1 best, as innovation was running wild. now its just stifled, now DDD are banned, no F duct, and now movable rear wings ( a complete joke) and KERS IS back, why not keep the F duct its worth about as much as kers, its less costly as all the teams have it, and is safe if they make it so u turn it off with you unused brake foot, I Would only ban a diffuser that points the air upwards

like the DDD does watch the 09 cars in Malaysia without the DDD the air/water coming out of the diffuser was staying straight hence a following car would get a good level of D/F to follow with a DDD you get maybe 20% of the full D/f with a non DDD you get 55% much better, and driver can just crank some wing while following, but all this is dead, and welcome back boring F1, the only saving grace is TURBOS :P but --- aero :(

gridwalker
gridwalker

WilliamsF1 wrote:Still they seem to be running lot more wing than a couple of years back. That ront wing on McLaren Mp4-25 looks so heavy
The diffusers on previous generations of cars were much smaller than the monster DDDs that we are seeing in 2010. I guess you need to add extra front wing to balance out the overall grip level.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

feynman
feynman

A broad low wing is "bigger" (much bigger) than a narrow high wing.

Just to match an old wing's level of downforce, the new ones would need to be larger.

ell66
ell66

i think if both downforce options give similar laptimes, the lower configuration is surley the way to go. less chance off being overtaken and should prove handy come race day and the get away down to the first corner.

raymondu999

The higher downforce would help preserve tyres better though. And it would probably help the drivers commit less mistakes as they'd have a car that feels better planted rather than one that just seems to float
失败者找理由,成功者找方法