Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

hopefully, it´s not a repeat of the Hungary performance.
If they turn up with a similar setup, they are going to have a hard time in Singapore.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

timbo
timbo

kalinka wrote:...
Leaving ethical stuff aside it was noted by mods several times that threads in this forum are devoted to specific car development and not relative performance between teams.

Steven
Owner

timbo wrote:
kalinka wrote:...
Leaving ethical stuff aside it was noted by mods several times that threads in this forum are devoted to specific car development and not relative performance between teams.
Exactly!

Kalinka's original post concerning RB6 has been moved, responses to them removed.

ringo

segedunum wrote: If the system works as it should then they should be able to run enough wing to fit the system and the level of wing they run should not compromise them. They obviously can't do it. The normal 'tea tray' wings we normally see at Monza should bear no relation to the wing that McLaren could run at Monza if the F-duct system worked as it should.
:mrgreen:
Damn all that flow vis and pitot rake time wasting nonsense! :wink:

The F duct is working everywhere and it's delivering the lap times.
For Sure!!

Holm86

Didnt Whitmarsh talk about a total new aero package for singapore at somepoint just after the summerbreak??

And about the bumpy track wasnt istanbull also a bumpy track?? mclaren did just fine there.

ell66
ell66

ringo wrote:
segedunum wrote: If the system works as it should then they should be able to run enough wing to fit the system and the level of wing they run should not compromise them. They obviously can't do it. The normal 'tea tray' wings we normally see at Monza should bear no relation to the wing that McLaren could run at Monza if the F-duct system worked as it should.
:mrgreen:
Damn all that flow vis and pitot rake time wasting nonsense! :wink:

The F duct is working everywhere and it's delivering the lap times.
as said elsewhere in this forum. they surley would of benefited much more from having a wing somewhere inbetween what jenson and lewis ran, whilt aslso f-ducting it.
the only explanation would be that they simply cant do this.

ringo

They're not the only ones using the F duct. Ferrari did, so i don't see what stoped them.
They can definitely do it. It's presumptuous to say they can't. It could be a matter of cost, time, or even awarness or miscalculation on the required setup.
Ferrari's wing was the better sized F duct wing, but by no means can we say Mclaren are not capable of doing what Ferrari did, which was to simply retune the system.

Button's car was very capable of winning the Monza race. It disproves any suggestion that the F duct has net disadvantages. If he had Hamilton's speed maybe they could have won with it, who knows.
The lap times and sector times are what decide whether a part is a disadvantage or not. The F duct seems to be good for 19 of 19 races now.

I rember saying having the F duct is like having 2 different cars. It's a very advantageous technology. Teams save time and headaches setting up a car for a track that needs a ballance of high and low downforce. The F duct makes life easier for the team.
Conclusion: F duct and EBD is to 2010 as DDD and KERS is to 2009; a very necessary innovation.
For Sure!!

thedutchguy

ell66 wrote:As said elsewhere in this forum. they surley would of benefited much more from having a wing somewhere inbetween what jenson and lewis ran, whilt aslso f-ducting it.
the only explanation would be that they simply cant do this.
My idea too. It looks like McLaren has one F-ducs rear wing which - as far as I can tell - is not adjustable. In previous years there were alway holes in the endplates of the rear wing which allowed different mounting positions to adjustment the rake, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. As far as I can tell, the wing was as steep at Monza as it was in Monaco.

Monaco:
Monza:

SiLo

That proves just how efficient their car is through the air, they can run Monaco spec downforce at Monza!
Felipe Baby!

astracrazy
astracrazy

its a different wing. the monaco wing is much more square compared to the monza one. also those photos are at different angles, a side photo would be better for comparison.
Holm86 wrote:Didnt Whitmarsh talk about a total new aero package for singapore at somepoint just after the summerbreak??

And about the bumpy track wasnt istanbull also a bumpy track?? mclaren did just fine there.
yes, a big one too i seem to remember.

I think they are expecting one for the last race as well if the championship is still close like it is now. i seem to remember reading that any way

PNSD
PNSD

The Monza wing is much more high nose up than the Monaco.

I also believe it is the Spa/Canada spec wing...

astracrazy
astracrazy

your right, according to James Allen, monza was the spa wing (for Jenson any way)

horse

SiLo wrote:That proves just how efficient their car is through the air, they can run Monaco spec downforce at Monza!
I think this is the point. If the f-duct is 100% effecient, then you will bung as much downforce on the car as you can. I think Monza proved that it wasn't, but their top speed deficit was not massive even running such a high AoA. I think this proves that the McLaren f-duct works extremely well.
thedutchguy wrote:It looks like McLaren has one F-ducts rear wing which - as far as I can tell - is not adjustable.
I think ringo and myself have said before that the way that McLaren feed the wing seems to make it more difficult to build a low AoA version. I don't think it's adjustable at the track either, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, my point is that, given it's efficiency, the wing can be set for maximum downforce on any circuit.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Lurk

Maybe McLaren chose to not retune the F-Duct. All teams except McLaren had retuned their F-Duct. But F-Duct doesn't seem to be an easy thing to setup.

They could have chosen to build a Monza spec without F-Duct - which is easy to design - to save time to produce a major upgrade which will be useful for the 5 last races.

marcush.
marcush.

did I miss something there Hamilton did drive without F-duct in monza ,did he? (even thohgh his race did not last very long ).