Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Ahh, but it does get F1 geeks like us to stare at the Vodafone logo for hours on end. :wink:

Phillyred
Phillyred

Pup wrote:Ahh, but it does get F1 geeks like us to stare at the Vodafone logo for hours on end. :wink:
Agreed! :lol:

zgred

ell66
ell66

marcush. wrote:absolutely sure that Button came in with the NEW Wing after FP1 ,Hamilton was only to be seen in the background but it looked like the new one as well to me...be a bit mellow with an ol man.
2nd practice I said. weall know he hd the new wing in FP1. inrested as to why lewis switched back.

King Six
King Six

So yeah, what was up with that engine note anyway (sort of popping sound when throttle is lifted/car is decelerating). It was even more pronounced today in practice than at previous races. I've heard it's to do with the blown diffuser and is similar to the concept of afterburn/reheat on a jet. With Scarbs also talking about some Q3 engine map that Red Bull use to compliment their EBD too, so it might be McLaren doing something like that.

It was much more noticeable today especially if not only for the McLaren cars, and that's with Crofty and Davidson constantly talking over the engine note of the cars [-X

feynman
feynman

Saw this live, and couldn't wait for the photos to show up ...

... and yes the blown-diffuser overrun did sound a tad more aggressive than the last two races, but I'd guess that to be more about a closely mic'd street circuit, with concrete barriers and buildings to reflect and reverb the crackle and rumble, as opposed to the wide-open, mic far-way, big run off tracks like Spa and Monza, with only trees and bushes in the braking zones.
Last edited by feynman on 24 Sep 2010, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

I guess with the walls closer to the car the sound will be more pronounced on street circuits. Reverberation I guess, kind of like driving through a tunnel.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Wow this is basically a gigantic air damn! this aint no wing!!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wrcsti
wrcsti

Aparently the mclaren is made of glass or something. The smallest hit with someone else breaks it.

vall
vall

Pup wrote:
wrcsti wrote:What is it???
I believe that's testing apparel. I'd expect to see some flo-vis and pitot arrays tomorrow.
vall wrote:Wow, looks like a big update!!! The last time they did that, it took a while until they unlocked the car potential.
I think the only major change is the front wing. The rear wing is an update of their Monaco/Hungary wing, and the exhaust and diffuser are just tweaked a bit. Of course, it does all add up.
After today's race it seems that to add up right :D Macca was ~1sec/lap slower than Ferrari and the Bulls!

MuseF1
MuseF1

Does anybody know what updates were taken off the car?

I read that concerns over reliability was the reason for not using the full update, and it made me think, with the chicane kerbs being so harsh, and Hamiltons criticism of it after practice, was the new suspension taken off (if they took it off) because of that? (

astracrazy
astracrazy

MuseF1 wrote:Does anybody know what updates were taken off the car?

I read that concerns over reliability was the reason for not using the full update, and it made me think, with the chicane kerbs being so harsh, and Hamiltons criticism of it after practice, was the new suspension taken off (if they took it off) because of that? (
was about to say, they have got an upgrade due for japan but what about this one that was taken off

what you say could be true. but what about the blown diffuser? the retarded exhaust sounded much louder in practice than in quali and race. maybe something to do with that? because in the pics for friday it was located slightly different to before?

forty-two

astracrazy wrote:but what about the blown diffuser? the retarded exhaust sounded much louder in practice than in quali and race. maybe something to do with that? because in the pics for friday it was located slightly different to before?
+1
I was thinking that too. Definitely a more distinctive note in FP2 at least. Maybe that's what they had to remove for "reliability", perhaps they were melting something?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

raymondu999

I wonder actually, if theyre using the EBD to feed their diffuser, which seemingly starves at high ride heights, and using that to be able to set softer springing, which in turn is eating their tyres up :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Why do you think it starves at high ride heights? High ride height should ensure sufficient flow to prevent starvation but it is less effective than a low ride height in terms of developing ultimate downforce.

The McLaren runs high because they've never figured out how to run low in both high and low fuel conditions under the current rules (no suspension changes after qualifying) - something Red Bull (and it seems Ferrari) have managed to sort out. This is one reason why they are better, generally, in race trim compared to qualifying - the fuel weight gives them the lower ride height and thus better downforce. By the time the car is running light (and thus high) at the end of the race, the track is rubbered in, everyone is on suboptimal tyres and most are at less than 100% trying to save fuel. This means their usual light car pace is less evident.

I would think they struggled with tyre wear because they were running max downforce and then driving the socks off the thing to try to stay with the RB and Ferrari.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.