Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

747heavy wrote:another gif of the RB floor stay

cool and very clear the splitter is dancing..end of story.still Illegal.

The Rules are wrongly enforced.It should be such that teams have to prove convincingly by measuring on the fly that critical parts are not moving relative to the reference plane.
static testing is obviously not going to remove this.

xpensive
xpensive

Right, that vertical support is probably servo-manouvered to make the floor follow the surface while at speed? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

myurr
myurr

xpensive wrote:Right, that vertical support is probably servo-manouvered to make the floor follow the surface while at speed? :lol:
Sorry I apologise - it is clear that the bib is utterly static in that animation and clearly not moving at all and I was just making it all up in my previous post. I also made up all the scraping noises coming from the Red Bull earlier in the year, superimposing them over the on board shots using my super 1337 ventriloquism skillz.

forty-two

Did you put this image together yourself Jumbo?

If so, and it was not altered in any way other than to make the animation, then this is the most damning evidence I have seen so far of a flexi-floor on the RB. Far more illustrative than mine.

I put mine together by taking a snapshot every half a second or so, then picked two frames which showed a significant jump, which happened to be one second apart.

Of course, there's no such thing as completely inflexible, even I-beam girders have a measurable (although not with the mk1 eyeball) degree of flex when even seemingly tiny loads are applied, but the movement seen in this latest animation is much more.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

xpensive
xpensive

forty-two wrote:

I'm sure the sequence is not manipulated at all 42, RBR must have agreed to mount the camera xactly right for the world to see what cheats they really are! Shame on you Horner, you will be condemned to run Renault engines forever for this! :lol:

komninosm
komninosm

xpensive wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I'm sure the sequence is not manipulated at all 42, RBR must have agreed to mount the camera xactly right for the world to see what cheats they really are! Shame on you Horner, you will be condemned to run Renault engines forever for this! :lol:
What do you mean?

forty-two

komninosm wrote:
xpensive wrote: I'm sure the sequence is not manipulated at all 42, RBR must have agreed to mount the camera xactly right for the world to see what cheats they really are! Shame on you Horner, you will be condemned to run Renault engines forever for this! :lol:
What do you mean?
I'm not sure I know what he means either.

But it did occur to me that RB have a new sponsor in the form of 7-eleven, AND there's lot's of interest on that part of the car for other reasons. Excellent marketing opportunity, but if as I feel, this is evidence of an articulated skid-block then it's sailing pretty close to the wind IMO.

If this sequence was during Free Practice, I guess they could deliberately break the "rules" to gain some more attention for their new sponsor?

myurr
myurr

If someone knows how wide the bib is then it would be possible to work out just how much it is deflecting.

xpensive
xpensive

komninosm wrote:
xpensive wrote:
forty-two wrote: ...
What do you mean?
Oh, I just tried a little bit of irony there, which didn't work out at all of course, but I'm sure that Charlie Whiting follows
this thread closely, why RBR will be in the deepest of s**t from now on. Thanks to jumbo of course.

marcush.
marcush.

hehehe..I´m quite sure some boffins take a look in here. At the very least the MERCEDES guys... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tbh I just wonder why the big does not flex sideways ...i guess the new design is
also a fibre orientation gimmick ,so it does now flex longitudinal in direction of car movement....before it was a longitudinal profile now it seems very short...
just why?

should they not flex their monocoque? or is this 2011 feature?

segedunum
segedunum

I don't know why people are banging on about the floor. I did think there was some nose movement in the past to get the wing down slightly lower, but the floor has nothing to do with what RBR's non-linear wings are doing.

You can't get anything from the picture whatsoever. The car is moving up and down as well as the floor and skid following the contours of the track. I don't know what people are seeing but people seem to be firm in their belief that RBR are gaining a ride height advantage from ride height that just isn't there.

forty-two

I guess the thing here is that although the car has passed the now more stringent load tests, all of a sudden we see a camera facing the area of concern, albeit on the only track on the calendar where the lighting conditions are definitely going to be poor.

But that sequence from 747 is difficult to explain if the bib is not moving.

OR just to guarantee column inches for their new sponsor, they deliberately ran a flexible bib during a PRACTICE session where they are not subject to park ferme or scrutineering.

I guess the question remains, which session did those images come from?

marcush.
marcush.

no one is allowed to run illegal cars in the event not even in FP sessions.You have to comply.also where is the sense behind running illegally ...having a comparison of how much you leave on the plate running a stiff enough splitter.

In reality it is clear that a moving splitter is a very serious advantage in terms of just how close you can run the front wing to the ground this definitively is part of the flexible wing discussion ,just because the front wing is made to work better .

forty-two

Does anyone know if RB actually raced with the blob shaped thing which can be seen in the animations at the top of the bib-stay?

I asked about this part a long time ago and was told it was a ride-height sensor, but I wouldn't expect any team to carry the extra weight and presumably drag penalty of such instrumentation during the race unless they either absolutely had to (i.e. perhaps it's doing more than measuring the distance to the ground), or it didn't carry a significant penalty in terms of weight/drag.

Does anyone have any stills from the actual race or qualifying which might answer this?

marcush.
marcush.

Did anyone spot that even the deflectors are moving in thte sequence 747 has posted? why should they wobble when the car is going in a straight line... I´m still in conspiracy mode with my bendy tub theory..as when the tub bottom has to rise ,taking the splitter stay up in tension the tub needs deform in other areas as well to compensate...far fetched ..I know.