Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66
ell66

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Can anybody explain what that black line apears to be on the top of the main front wing flap, i dont believe iv seen that before last weekend.

wesley123
wesley123

It is an gurney
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

feynman
feynman

That was one of my favorite Brundle lines ... "What are gurney-flaps? They're how you tell the difference between male and female gurneys".

ell66
ell66

wesley123 wrote:It is an gurney
On the front wing??

So any ideas on what update it was that they decided to push back to japan for reliablity reasons? Im thinking an update to the blown floor,and a big one at that, intrested to see the other bits on the way to, slight anjustments to the front wing maybe!?

I think the mp4-25 will go round suzuka, the f-duct will help greatly and the general type of surface and corners should put them just behind the bulls IMO

gridwalker
gridwalker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 066398.stm
McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale says they are putting "everything and the kitchen sink" into keeping their drivers in the world title race.
So that is where they got their diffuser ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

JMN
JMN

After the successful implementation of upgrades at the last round in Singapore, Neale is confident of further success at this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

“I certainly hope all the upgrades will make a big difference,” he added. “We are taking a reasonably big upgrade to Japan. We have got a front-wing upgrade, a new rear wing and there are some aerodynamic details around the floor. We’re certainly taking everything we took to Singapore - and more - to Japan.”
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11345.html

On a somewhat less serious note:
Q: Does he need a stronger car than some other drivers?
JN: No we don’t design the car to be a Red Bull-torpedoing mid ship.

astracrazy
astracrazy

new rear wing

feynman
feynman

Yeah.

So it's a Renault style f-duct now?
You can now see vodafone across the rear wing, whereas it used to say voda | fone.

dren

The front wing looks new.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

feynman wrote:Yeah.

So it's a Renault style f-duct now?
You can now see vodafone across the rear wing, whereas it used to say voda | fone.

Guess they want to be able to adjust the flap more easily.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

Renault is certainly doing wonders in terms of their car development if McLaren is copying Renault's mainplane-blowing f-duct rather than continuing with their own design. It shows quite a bit of development greatness in Renault's pocket. I think the FW is the same as they had in Singapore. Talking of the RW, the flap already looks less agressive, though I don't know why they'd use less wing on a circuit as technical as Suzuka
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

the flaps angle is just an illusion, because of the F-duct now blowing in the lower plane it has to come up higher then normal, thus the upper looks smaller. They also had an diffuser upgrade so that mgith have to do with it

wesley123
wesley123

the flaps angle is just an illusion, because of the F-duct now blowing in the lower plane it has to come up higher then normal, thus the upper looks smaller. They also had an diffuser upgrade so that mgith have to do with it

astracrazy
astracrazy

dren wrote:The front wing looks new.
yep new front wing was announced. looks (from that view) as if the have connected to the two planes as apposed to separate in singapore. maybe due to the brake cooling needed in singapore?

still now visual signs of an upgrade which could not be used due to reliability. still thinks its to do with the blown diffuser/engine map

feynman
feynman

n smikle wrote: Guess they want to be able to adjust the flap more easily.
I didn't think they adjusted rear wings anymore (at least not on the car with an allen key) ... they arrive with the wing that the simulation says they will need, and if they need to change levels, they unbolt it and then bolt-on one of the differently angled wing that they keep in the trucks/air-freight.

I'd imagine all manner of tiny percent improvements in using fixed, rigid, factory set rear-wings, as opposed to carrying largely-unused adjustment mechanisms for a race distance.