Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Halgovern
Halgovern

the cascades look the same to me
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

feynman
feynman

clearer view of the hole

zgred

zgred wrote:Image

raymondu999

I don't understand why teams would invest on more development of the fduct when it's a banned technology next year
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman
feynman

Halgovern wrote:the cascades look the same to me
I agree, they are the same, but you can't tell anything for sure till tomorrow ... most teams usually leave older spec wings on display outside the garage on Thursday, you don't want the pitlane tour-parties tripping over your new gear.

So those photos of Singapore spec wings on racks, could be because they are actually Singapore spec wings, and the new ones are still in the truck (or on the airplane as we speak). Until they start running in practice, no-one can really say anything for sure.

dren

raymondu999 wrote:I don't understand why teams would invest on more development of the fduct when it's a banned technology next year
Maybe to win the championship this year.
Honda!

Mandrake
Mandrake

feynman wrote:clearer view of the hole

Did they also change to blowing to lower element? I always thought it was the upper element. This one looks like a Renault solution (Which in case I am right would be surprising, cause McLaren came up with the F-Duct in the first place)

Edit: Sorry, missed the new posts the page before. Shame on me ;) Feel free to remove this post.

scarbs
scarbs

Here's some analysis of their new F-duct http://wp.me/pNdA9-dY

PlatinumZealot

feynman wrote:
n smikle wrote: Guess they want to be able to adjust the flap more easily.
I didn't think they adjusted rear wings anymore (at least not on the car with an allen key) ... they arrive with the wing that the simulation says they will need, and if they need to change levels, they unbolt it and then bolt-on one of the differently angled wing that they keep in the trucks/air-freight.

I'd imagine all manner of tiny percent improvements in using fixed, rigid, factory set rear-wings, as opposed to carrying largely-unused adjustment mechanisms for a race distance.
Yeah you are right. There are no visible adjustment holes in the side of the end-plate.

It would be enlightening if we can see precisely if there is a F-duct slot on the underside BOTH the upper and lower element. This would mean that air is fed to the upper element through hollow end-plates...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Holm86

Hmm not at good start for mclaren.
But in the turn-in to the corner where Hamilton crahsed the inside wheel had much less angle than the outside wheel. It was clealy visable on the slowmo replay.
Usualy the inside wheel has much more angle than the outside wheel ... Perhaps something had broke before he turned into that corner???

PlatinumZealot

I believe it was Marcush that told me that it is the norm Formula1 cars to sometimes run "Anti-ackerman" steering angles. That is the outer wheel turns more than the inner. It's not kinematically ideal, but it is done depending on the behaviour of the tyres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Sorry, but Fully shrouded exhaust pipes?

The shrouds widen out into rectangular shaped "proper" diffusers. This could mean that the exhaust air is more heavily introduced to the air in the upper deck of the diffuser. At the same time the distribution is gradual. We know this because of the very wide shape.

Also the crash structure is more smoothly shaped at its base.

The upper shroud of the diffuser is cut back an inch or two.. Notice that there is no longer a need for very large side holes to accommodate the rear tie rods.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:I believe it was Marcush that told me that it is the norm Formula1 cars to sometimes run "Anti-ackerman" steering angles. That is the outer wheel turns more than the inner. It's not kinematically ideal, but it is done depending on the behaviour of the tyres.
I thought that was Ackerman? I always thought anti-Ackerman was having the outside turn less? I could be wrong though
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong
imightbewrong