Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
horse

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

marcush. wrote:Did anyone spot that even the deflectors are moving in thte sequence 747 has posted? why should they wobble when the car is going in a straight line.
Could be that the car is switching from acceleration to deceleration. They must shed a little as well, which will make them move. Vortex generation might even be part of their function.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

forty-two

marcush. wrote:Did anyone spot that even the deflectors are moving in thte sequence 747 has posted? why should they wobble when the car is going in a straight line... I´m still in conspiracy mode with my bendy tub theory..as when the tub bottom has to rise ,taking the splitter stay up in tension the tub needs deform in other areas as well to compensate...far fetched ..I know.
I don't think that's far fetched in the slightest actually.

If doing this (albeit in a clever way to pass the relevant tests) gives the team an advantage, then I think most teams would at least look at it.

Perhaps RB have decided that no other team would have the time to implement such a feature for the remaining flyaway races, so they might as well show their hand and get some publicity for their new sponsor into the bargain.

If so, they must be pretty confident that it will be deemed legal though.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

segedunum
segedunum

Well, the wing still looks like it's flexing in Suzuka as it was in virtually every other race.

forty-two

segedunum wrote:Well, the wing still looks like it's flexing in Suzuka as it was in virtually every other race.
Really? I haven't managed to watch practice yet. Do you have any stills to illustrate this?

Ta

bgroovers
bgroovers

Re: Red Bull RB6

The Redbull wings are clearly running very low to the ground again! From on board you can see the end plates moving down as the car gets faster. Redbull have gone away for italy and singapore, recalibrated their flex characteristics for the stronger load test (still nothing close to what is generated at speed) and got the same advantage back that they lost. Real shame that they are flexing the regulations so much and so blatantly!

bgroovers
bgroovers

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

Surprised that no one has mentioned how close to the ground the redbull endplates are at speed! From onboard you can see them flexing down as the speed increases compared to the brake ducts. (none of the other runners had this, so dont shoot down about sprung/insprung parts).

Looks like RB have gone away and recalibrated their flex pattern on the front wing to pass the heavier load tests , although these are still way below the kind of force generated at high speed. What a shame that they have resorted to this again...

FIA should throw them out!

forty-two

Has anyone got any stills of the front wing flexing at Suzuka?

djos

Whinge whinge whinge, FFS if they pass the tests they are not cheating and they run a lot of rake on the RedBull and have much softer suspension than the MacMerc Super-Cart!
"In downforce we trust"

Halgovern
Halgovern

I'm getting more and more convinced that they're using a spring mechanism in the nosecone to lower the wing. I think this was brought up on this thread by someone a while ago, with a diagram too.
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

This is supposedly from today by Rapidfire75 on the autosport forums:
Q: Are they both from the same section of track?
Yes, after 130R at top speed, and after breaking for the chicane.
And these are from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A75273113

gibells
gibells

forty-two wrote:Has anyone got any stills of the front wing flexing at Suzuka?

Almost touching the ground.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Crosspost from the suzuka thread

imightbewrong wrote:This is supposedly from today by Rapidfire75 on the autosport forums:
Q: Are they both from the same section of track?
Yes, after 130R at top speed, and after breaking for the chicane.
And these are from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A75273113

djones
djones

I doubt there is a spring in the nose cone. Its the ends of the wind flexing down, not the entire wing.

wrcsti
wrcsti

So the redbull is made of rubber and the mclaren of glass.

FW17

imightbewrong wrote:Crosspost from the suzuka thread

imightbewrong wrote:This is supposedly from today by Rapidfire75 on the autosport forums:
(while we are on the subject of a witch hunt.....)
Why does the wheel move up when the wing moves down?