Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Red Bull RB6

WilliamsF1 wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:Crosspost from the suzuka thread

imightbewrong wrote:This is supposedly from today by Rapidfire75 on the autosport forums:
(while we are on the subject of a witch hunt.....)
Why does the wheel move up when the wing moves down?
High downforce => springs compress => chassis moves down relative to wheels.

djones
djones

presumable the wheel is down under braking.

Its irrelivent thoigh as the wheel is not the reference line.

FW17

imightbewrong wrote:This is supposedly from today by Rapidfire75 on the autosport forums:
The Line drawn is not straight as it does not pass through the push rod pick up points on either side of the chassis (infact the the right side is not even visible)

If the right end of the wing of Mclaren is compared to the left end of the redbull the movement of the wing is almost similar.

Halgovern
Halgovern

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

wrcsti wrote:So the redbull is made of rubber and the mclaren of glass.
don't forget ferrari made out of steel :)
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

forty-two

WilliamsF1 wrote:

The Line drawn is not straight as it does not pass through the push rod pick up points on either side of the chassis (infact the the right side is not even visible)

If the right end of the wing of Mclaren is compared to the left end of the redbull the movement of the wing is almost similar.
Doesn't matter if the line is straight or banana shaped, as long as the line remains static in both images, then it's a reference point.

The reason the line is not "straight" (which it actually is, only it's not at 90 degrees to the centreline of the tub) is that the camera on the car is not mounted on the centreline, so the image is not perfectly symettrical.

Place a rule against the line if you don't believe me, I assure you that the line IS straight.

As for whether the line needs to be straight to provide a reference, ignore the line and place your mouse pointer on the wing.

As for the comparison to the McLaren wing, the McLaren wing is also moving, but nothing like as much as the Redbull's. Perhaps this is why McLaren have redesigned their front wing like they have?

Mods, shouldn't this discussion be taking place in the "Flexible Wings Controversy" thread?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Quoted from the RB6 thread:

Q: Are they both from the same section of track?
Yes, after 130R at top speed, and after breaking for the chicane.
And these are from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A75273113

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

There are rules .. the rules have even been changed mid season to satisfy the anti RB crowd .. GIVE IT UP ALREADY! All cars are meeting the rules, the rules are the same for everyone .. if you don't like how your team is fairing go complain on THAT CAR'S BOARD, not here.

BTW, it just could be that the RB wings are flexing more BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY WORK!

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Japanese GP 2010 - Suzuka

and that is not too low? that is with some lean from turning in, and the right side end plate is barely off the floor...

edit: although cars are scrutinized on sat and sun aren't they? so we wait and see

Afterburner

I think FIA should take images and videos into account to prevent this kind of things, what i'm seeing here it's some king of: "steal freely but don't get caught!" Definetely RB has some kind of mechanism on it's front wing.

ecapox

If Redbull passes teh FIA tests, and they have passed every test the FIA has given them, then their car is fine. Can we please stop about this cheating garbage..or take it to the Flexi Wing thread.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

BreezyRacer wrote:There are rules .. the rules have even been changed mid season to satisfy the anti RB crowd .. GIVE IT UP ALREADY! All cars are meeting the rules, the rules are the same for everyone .. if you don't like how your team is fairing go complain on THAT CAR'S BOARD, not here.

BTW, it just could be that the RB wings are flexing more BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY WORK!
Nope, the rules haven't changed, the tests have. But this is offtopic, continue it in the flexi-wing thread.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Afterburner wrote:I think FIA should take images and videos into account to prevent this kind of things, what i'm seeing here it's some king of: "steal freely but don't get caught!" Definetely RB has some kind of mechanism on it's front wing.
ecapox wrote:If Redbull passes teh FIA tests, and they have passed every test the FIA has given them, then their car is fine. Can we please stop about this cheating garbage..or take it to the Flexi Wing thread.
The right answer. I have never understood this attitude. If my team is not able to make something that's on the rival's car the rival has an illegal car, definitely.
Besides, from some animations on the previous page we can see the McLaren wing not only moving also in vertical plane, but as it seems to me, also flexing in horizontal. So their campaign against RB is just a classic hypocrisy.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

bgroovers
bgroovers

Really find it beyond belief that RB are allowed to get away with this still! Yes they pass the tests with a force applied to the wings that is not even close to the force generated out on track. The video and photographic eveidense is clear! Cheats do not become cheats only when they are caught, just as me driving at 80mph passed a school in a 20mph zone is still speeding even if i dont get caught!
If Reb Bull dont win this years championships they have totally ballsed up, with a car with flexi wings thats way faster than anything else. Theyd have a have a very fast young german that used to be likeable who cant overtake driving one car and an ozzy version of Jarno Trulli in the other...

forty-two

I think these images are proof that the RB FW is flexing as it has in the past, and also that the new tests on the FW are inadequate for determining the flexibility.

I don't understand why the FIA would have moved the test point inboard from the previous test positions, surely this makes the test less effective? Halve the lever distance, double the force required.

Sorry to keep harping on about that particular point, but I don't see how doing that was ever going to be more likely to detect a bendy wing.

timbo
timbo

forty-two wrote:As for the comparison to the McLaren wing, the McLaren wing is also moving, but nothing like as much as the Redbull's. Perhaps this is why McLaren have redesigned their front wing like they have?
I think that the way black line is positioned (on RB pic it only touches the wing in upper position and on McL it crosses it) visually magnifies wing movement.
It also seems McLaren have MUCH stiffer suspension.