Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gibells
gibells

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

flo-viz

zgred

Last edited by zgred on 08 Oct 2010, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

zgred

gibells wrote:flo-viz

gridwalker
gridwalker

Nice pics, but there aren't any that show the F-Duct's new routing/shape.

Can anyone post any shots that shows the new RW/Shark Fin in all of its glory?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

zgred

gridwalker
gridwalker

Thanks, that is a better angle but the red on red colour scheme isn't making visualising the shape in 3d very easy!

Damn lack of contrast ;)

gibells
gibells

that rear wing is damn near verticle

forty-two

zgred wrote:Image

Is it me, or does the left-hand RW endplate seem to be made up of two seperate sections? It almost looks like there's a channel through it running diagonally upwards.

I heard that the endplate was damaged during the incident, so it could of course be that the plies of carbon have seperated giving the impression of two pieces, as it doesn't seem to have looked like that before the collision.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Lurk

zgred wrote: Image
I think that's the answer :wink:

MikeFromCanada

McLaren is flying an engineer from London to Japan with a replacement wing for Lewis Hamilton's car following his crash during Friday's practice session at Suzuka.

He must reach the Japanese circuit early on Saturday in order to beat the parc ferme deadline so Hamilton can be back up and running with the MP5-25's new rear wing for qualifying and the race. He broke the new wing's left endfence and the only other version in Japan is fitted to Jenson Button's sister car.

When Hamilton returned to the track with nine minutes of the afternoon session remaining, his car was fitted with the old wing as he drove to the 13th quickest time.

At the track, Hamilton's mechanics are also facing a long night as his chassis was also damaged, and after a patch-up job for the few afternoon practice laps a new car will be built up overnight.
There's the official answer, from ESPNF1. If they knew the car was going to be "rebuilt" in the evening, why would they send him out at the end of FP2? Even Lewis admitted all he really accomplished was 4 timed laps that were still just feeler laps for the track. Was there no risk of furthing damaging the car by sending it out with this patch up job they did, however intense of a patch it was?

Also anyone have any pictures of the old wing they put on Lewis' car? Would this not require the old sharkfin/FDuct layout as well?

http://en.espnf1.com/japan/motorsport/story/30491.html

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

To me it looks like there is a duct through the front of the floorboard taking air from behind the splitter to under the board right behind the start of the board. I thought it had to be flat with just the FIA specified round holes where they check the thickness.

zgred

gridwalker
gridwalker

That is MUCH better : thanks a lot Zgred!

:D

mep

I love Hamilton, always when there is something new on the car he smashes it out so we get those awesome pictures.

forty-two

tok-tokkie wrote:To me it looks like there is a duct through the front of the floorboard taking air from behind the splitter to under the board right behind the start of the board. I thought it had to be flat with just the FIA specified round holes where they check the thickness.
I'm not with you Tok-tokkie. Where are you seeing a duct?

If you take a look at the following picture (taken from the F10 thread), you'll see that it looks like the Ferrari has a duct from just behind the splitter all the way back to the diffusor.
zgred wrote:Image
Are you seeing something similar to this on the MP4-25?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?