Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

zgred wrote:Image

Interesting that McLaren seem to have switched from radioactive green to white flo-vis. Any ideas why this might be?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

tok-tokkie wrote:To me it looks like there is a duct through the front of the floorboard taking air from behind the splitter to under the board right behind the start of the board. I thought it had to be flat with just the FIA specified round holes where they check the thickness.

I believe what you are seeing is a recessed area under the central splitter/tea tray designed to produce a low pressure area, thus add'l downforce. Not a big contributor by itself, but the positioning is as optimal as you can get so why not go for it?

timbo
timbo

forty-two wrote:Interesting that McLaren seem to have switched from radioactive green to white flo-vis. Any ideas why this might be?
Pit-crew complained for the loss of hair.

Shrieker

timbo wrote:
forty-two wrote:Interesting that McLaren seem to have switched from radioactive green to white flo-vis. Any ideas why this might be?
Pit-crew complained for the loss of hair.
Good one :mrgreen: =D>
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Pup
Pup

BreezyRacer wrote:
tok-tokkie wrote:To me it looks like there is a duct through the front of the floorboard taking air from behind the splitter to under the board right behind the start of the board. I thought it had to be flat with just the FIA specified round holes where they check the thickness.

I believe what you are seeing is a recessed area under the central splitter/tea tray designed to produce a low pressure area, thus add'l downforce. Not a big contributor by itself, but the positioning is as optimal as you can get so why not go for it?
That, or scuff marks.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

This picture shows the flat floorboard.
It goes all the way to the wishbone as, seemingly, a flat plank.

In this picture there is a duct starting just behind the leading edge of the plank. It seems to be an exit from a hole through to the upper side.

Richard
Richard

tok-tokkie - I can't see it, only scuff marks. Could you draw on the photo to shows where you mean?

thestig84
thestig84

According to BBCs Mr popular Mclaren wont be running new rear wing

Twitter: legardj Jonathan Legard
Hearing that McLaren won't be running their new rear wing

Seems odd to go to massive hassle and fly one out for LH then with no running since Friday they decide they dont want to run it.

Halgovern
Halgovern

Hamilton 5 place grid penalty for a gerabox change . Damn :(
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Halgovern wrote:Hamilton 5 place grid penalty for a gerabox change . Damn :(
Where is that info from?

aral
aral

thestig84 wrote:According to BBCs Mr popular Mclaren wont be running new rear wing

Seems odd to go to massive hassle and fly one out for LH then with no running since Friday they decide they dont want to run it.
It may have something to do with possible defective construction. Look at the photos of the end plates. The carbon fibre has delaminated very very badly. It looks as if the layers did not bond to each other. I have never come across such delamination before, and Mclaren should have serious concerns about their lay-up process.

mep

gilgen wrote:
thestig84 wrote:According to BBCs Mr popular Mclaren wont be running new rear wing

It may have something to do with possible defective construction. Look at the photos of the end plates. The carbon fibre has delaminated very very badly. It looks as if the layers did not bond to each other. I have never come across such delamination before, and Mclaren should have serious concerns about their lay-up process.
In which picture do you see this?
Can you post it?

Holm86

Look at last page it has allready been posted.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Smacking it into the wall might have something to do with it.... 8)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM