Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
747heavy

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

Red Bull still legal amid latest flexing saga

Oct.11 (GMM) The Red Bull flexing wing saga reared its head yet again at Suzuka. The controversy had died down following the subsiding of the RB6's dominance at recent races,

and evidence that new FIA scrutineering tests had lessened the visible bending of the car's front wings. But at Suzuka, Red Bull's dominance returned, as did video and photos showing the front wings almost touching the track.

So a reporter for the German tabloid Bild am Sonntag ventured into the FIA test garages at the Japanese circuit to observe Joe Bauer checking over the Suzuka-spec RB6. The reporter witnessed the car lifted into the air on the test stand before 100 kilograms of weight - double the amount of the former tests - was applied to the front wing.

The RB6 passed the test, even though cynics suggest that at high-speed downforce loads, the Red Bull fails the letter of the rules. Bauer said: "For that (test), we'd have to build a wind tunnel at each track!" Indeed, if those downforce-like loads were simulated with mere scrutineering weights, the clever Red Bull wing design would likely break. The RB6 also passed the FIA's more stringent 300kg underbody test at Suzuka.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:Image
He's just sleeping.

strad

nope...it's dead
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

I just saw the McL and RB comparasion pic and there was one thing i just noticed;
The Red Bull nose cone is incredibly low, it is way lower then when it isnt moving.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Caito
Caito

An idea came to my mind. A Bimetallic be used to generate movement in a piece.

It doesn't have to be metallic but just a piece with two materials with different coefficient of thermal expansion. In this way, heat generated (exhaust, air friction from the brakes or wherever you like most) would make the part hotter and thus induce movement in the desired direction.

Any thoughts?

Bye bye

Caito.-

PS If a carbon fibre piece had a metal "rod" in its interior, with heat expansion it could be used to generate movement.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

wesley123
wesley123

IMO that idea sounds really plausible. Certainly with the balast teams put in their front wing this makes it really plausible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

xpensive
xpensive

I read in News of the world that Uri Geller has been seen in the Red Bull pits at several races this year, most notably Suzuka.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Donuts

What about Ferrari's front wing? Is it still flexing as much as before the FIA tests?
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

forty-two

xpensive wrote:I read in News of the world that Uri Geller has been seen in the Red Bull pits at several races this year, most notably Suzuka.
Let me guess, he spent some time near SPOON corner?!?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Donuts wrote:What about Ferrari's front wing? Is it still flexing as much as before the FIA tests?
Good question!

I don't think the Ferrari was ever quite as flexible as the RB, but I didn't notice any particular shots which indicated it was running low. I shall have another look though.

I wonder if Darren Heath was there?

forty-two

Caito wrote:An idea came to my mind. A Bimetallic be used to generate movement in a piece.

It doesn't have to be metallic but just a piece with two materials with different coefficient of thermal expansion. In this way, heat generated (exhaust, air friction from the brakes or wherever you like most) would make the part hotter and thus induce movement in the desired direction.

Any thoughts?

Bye bye

Caito.-

PS If a carbon fibre piece had a metal "rod" in its interior, with heat expansion it could be used to generate movement.
As was pointed out to me at the start of the season when I suggested some form of thermal device might be adjusting the ride height of the RB6, although you could argue that such a device was "passive" because it doesn't have a power source other than the temperature arriving at it, you could equally argue that any heat input to the system would be being "used", and that would make it active aero, which of course is banned.

You might well be right though!

I still think those shots showing the stiff cable poking out of Vettel's wing after his collision with Button have not be sufficiently answered.

djones
djones

Do you have a copy of the picture? (I cant find one)

forty-two

djones wrote:Do you have a copy of the picture? (I cant find one)
Here you go:
strad wrote:Image
video posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2160&p=195984#p195984

astracrazy
astracrazy

didn't they say (or claim if you want) that it was for the front wing adjuster?

forty-two

That depends upon who you mean by "they".

Ted Kravitz who was in the pitlane when Vettel came in for a new nose said that they'd had a problem during the pitstop with the FFA connector, and that meant that Seb would not have FFA for the rest of the race.

But AFAIK no official of RB, or other commentator has ever made a statement or explanation of what we're seeing here.

Some members on this forum have speculated that we're seeing teflon insulated electrical cables here, but I for one am still not convinced. There was a conversation about it quite a few pages back on this thread, but never any conclusive theory.