Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

The 'replacement' gearbox only has to be used for the remainder of the original's scheduled life.

Shrieker

Pup wrote:The 'replacement' gearbox only has to be used for the remainder of the original's scheduled life.
Too bad it failed (well, not completely, but sortta) in Hamilton's case.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

MikeFromCanada

Pup wrote:The 'replacement' gearbox only has to be used for the remainder of the original's scheduled life.
So you're saying, for all we know last race may have been the last race the original gearbox was scheduled to be used in. Therefore, the replacement would only be required to be ran until the end of the race, and then they could simply use the next gearbox scheduled in line from here on.

Pup
Pup

MikeFromCanada wrote:...for all we know...
Well, it's not one of the mysteries of the universe. Look it up - I might be wrong.

MikeFromCanada

Pup wrote:
MikeFromCanada wrote:...for all we know...
Well, it's not one of the mysteries of the universe. Look it up - I might be wrong.
Wasn't a shot at you, just making sure I understood what you meant. I'll take a look and see what the Regs say.

Italiano
Italiano

Unless the driver fails to finish the race (see below) the gearbox fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for three further Events. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first, second or third of the four Events for reasons which the technical delegate accepts as being beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a different gearbox without a penalty being incurred.
A gearbox will be deemed to have been used once the car's timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
It has to stay in the car. A change will bring another 5 place penalty. Dunno if they can open it and rumble around. I'm almost sure that isn't allowed. Unless a dogring is at fault, that they can change without penalty. Anything else, 5 down.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

747heavy

SchumacherM wrote:
Unless the driver fails to finish the race (see below) the gearbox fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for three further Events. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first, second or third of the four Events for reasons which the technical delegate accepts as being beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a different gearbox without a penalty being incurred.
A gearbox will be deemed to have been used once the car's timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
It has to stay in the car. A change will bring another 5 place penalty. Dunno if they can open it and rumble around. I'm almost sure that isn't allowed. Unless a dogring is at fault, that they can change without penalty. Anything else, 5 down.
Yes, but the regs state as well the following part.
I think Pup is correct is his assessment, of the situation.
On top of that, if the failure is only in the dog ring/gear ratio part,
they can change it anyway without any problems or penalities.
a) Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for four consecutive Events in which his team competes.
Should a driver use a replacement gearbox he will drop five places on the starting grid at that Event and an additional five places each time a further gearbox is used.

Any replacement gearbox must be fitted with the same gear ratios that were declared under d) below and will only be required to complete the remainder of the Event in question.
Any change to the gear ratios declared under d) below will incur a further five grid place penalty. In either case a new four race sequence may start at the following Event.

A gearbox will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

raymondu999

My understanding is that if they take a 5-grid drop for a gearbox at a race, then at the next race they can take a fresh box? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman
feynman

If I remember corrctly, the basic vibe to that rule and its wording was to help save on shipping and transport costs.

If teams thought that a replacement had to take-on a full 4-race cycle, then they'd be shipping extra pairs of "race-spec" brand new gearboxes with them for all the races.

So instead, the replacement has only to finish that "event" ... so teams could stick in the Friday box, make it to the flag, and then have a properly new box for the next race to start it's cycle.

I doubt it actually works like that, and most teams probably shlep round with a surplus of boxes irrespective, but maybe the smaller teams use the rule to save themselves a few grand here or there.

kalinka
kalinka

Sorry for off topic but :

Whitmarsh : "“Finally, to clarify, following his gearbox issue in Suzuka, Lewis will not face a second successive five-place grid penalty this weekend. The gearbox regulations were framed to ensure teams weren’t penalised twice for the same gearbox issue, so Lewis will go into the weekend without risk of further penalty.”

zgred

ell66
ell66

that front wing's a piece of art, nice new endplate as well.

MikeFromCanada

Comparison between FW in Suzuka and FW that Zgred posted from Korea:

Suzuka

Korea

Mandrake
Mandrake

Looks a bit more refined and less massive. I guess they want it to flex a little more by reducing rigidity ;)

pete555
pete555

Wonder if anything bolts into that hole on the carbon pillar just to the left of centre ?