Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Miguel
Miguel

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Why Williams should keep Rubens:

It appears that, for the first time in a while, Frank and Patrick have confidence in the feedback given by a driver. As a result, for the first time since maybe 2004, the Williams will end the season faster than it started. Rubens, unlike other highly regarded test drivers, can actually race and score points. As a plus, the most experienced driver ever should be able to help develop a young gun in the other seat.

Why Williams should keep Nico:

Nico seems to be improving decently. He had glimpses of speed, but seems to be more regular now. He should also learn his trade properly with a teammate like Rubens. Nico looked brilliant in GP2, and has won all the other junior formulae he's raced in. There's nothing stopping him from becoming an F1 star, even though it seems he won't be a legend.

From the strategical point of view, Williams need to develop the car "in a budget", and they also need a fast driver. At least one. However, it's difficult to see how any of the proven race winners (other than Rubens) can end up driving for Williams. Even Renault seems like a more attractive team. In a similar way, the hot prospects may also go for a seat elsewhere... and there aren't many hot prospects available for F1 right now.

Now, what Williams need to do is stop babbling about their drivers and beating the crap out of Force India in Brazil and Abu Dabi.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

fenix4life
fenix4life

It looks like D'ambriosso will lose his potential seat at Virgin. Dutchman Van der Garde doesn't have issue with finding the needed 5M where D'ambriossio has. Van der Garde should come over with directly 10M

Rumours say Van der Garde will sign this weekend.

Source la derniere heure

zeph
zeph

You know what? I would not be surprised to see Heidfeld driving for RBR next year.

segedunum
segedunum

fenix4life wrote:It looks like D'ambriosso will lose his potential seat at Virgin. Dutchman Van der Garde doesn't have issue with finding the needed 5M where D'ambriossio has. Van der Garde should come over with directly 10M
While I can understand this for a team like Hispania, with backing from the Virgin brand I can see why Bernie believes a lot of these teams are a joke. At least Red Bull put their money where their mouth was.

segedunum
segedunum

zeph wrote:You know what? I would not be surprised to see Heidfeld driving for RBR next year.
I've heard far worse suggestions. I can't believe that decent drivers are sitting around on the sidelines.

raymondu999

zeph wrote:You know what? I would not be surprised to see Heidfeld driving for RBR next year.
I'd be surprised if Hiedfeld was chosen over Buemi. But they could be following in McLaren's footsteps (matched pairing in 2007, patsy number 2 in 2008)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zeph
zeph

I just read that there is friction between Buemi and STR's management.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

According to 5LiveF1 on BBC1:

McLaren-Mercedes: Hamilton/Button TD: Paffett (Confirmed)
Ferarri: Alonso/Massa TD: Badoer/Fisichella/Gene
Red Bull-Renault: Vettel/TBC TD: TBC
Mercedes: Schumacher/Rosberg TD: TBC
Renault: Kubica/TBC TD: TBC
Williams-Cosworth: TBC/TBC TD: Bottas
Force India-Mercedes: Sutil/TBC TD: TBC
Sauber-Ferarri: Kobiyashai/Perez TD: Guiteriez (Confirmed)
Toro Rosso-Ferarri: Alguersauri/TBC TD: TBC
1 Malasia-Renault: TBC/TBC TD: TBC
Hispania-Cosworth: Ebay
Virgin-Cosworth: Glock/TBC TD: TBC

Seemingly theres more to play for in the drivers market than what we really think.

zeph
zeph

Brazilian press reporting that Bruno Senna will be driving for Lotus/Malaysia-Renault next season.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Trulli last weekend was arround the NASCAR circius seemingly as well, rumor has it he is away to the Nationwide series for a couple of seasons to have some fun.

I think if Senna went to Lotus, it would be a massive coup, he hasnt impressed much in the HRT overall, but has been steady, i think the Senna/Lotus move would be iconic and would mean that he could finally grow with a decent machine under him.

Lotus-Renault confirmed as well now!!!!

gibells
gibells

ESPImperium wrote: Lotus-Renault confirmed as well now!!!!
I heard there would be 4 Lotus-Renaults. :D . I'll expand that to say that Bahar and Group Lotus (the ones selling the cars but with no rights to the Team Lotus title), are rumoured to be buying Renault out of their share of Renault F1. So we could find ourselves with Lotus Renault (Enstone), and Team Lotus Renault(Fernandes) [admittedly though they'd probably change their name to something else, so they could use the Renault engines.]

Must be really annoying for old Fernandes. I wonder if Group Lotus would at all have come to F1 if it hadn't been for Lotus Racing (aka 1Malaysia Racing).

Dukeage
Dukeage

I don't think Group Lotus would want to enter until they've got the whole trademark thing sorted, which will probably neither be in time for next year in F1 or in their favour. I'm not sure about the rumours of Genii selling, although if they do one rumour is it would be straight back to Paris ...

gibells
gibells

Dukeage wrote:I don't think Group Lotus would want to enter until they've got the whole trademark thing sorted, which will probably neither be in time for next year in F1 or in their favour. I'm not sure about the rumours of Genii selling, although if they do one rumour is it would be straight back to Paris ...
No the rumour is not Genii selling, but Renault getting rid of it's 25% stake.

segedunum
segedunum

I generally don't like the rumour mongers on Autosport, but with the Renault engine deal suspiciously not being with Lotus Racing one wonders whether the 'Lotus Group' might buy the Renault team and use Renault engines there.

It's all speculation, but I can't help feel that something will happen to the current 'Renault' team with the Petrov situation this year and him still not being confirmed.

ringo

ESPImperium wrote:According to 5LiveF1 on BBC1:

McLaren-Mercedes: Hamilton/Button TD: Paffett (Confirmed)
Ferarri: Alonso/Massa TD: Badoer/Fisichella/Gene
Red Bull-Renault: Vettel/TBC TD: TBC
Mercedes: Schumacher/Rosberg TD: TBC
Renault: Kubica/TBC TD: TBC
Williams-Cosworth: TBC/TBC TD: Bottas
Force India-Mercedes: Sutil/TBC TD: TBC
Sauber-Ferarri: Kobiyashai/Perez TD: Guiteriez (Confirmed)
Toro Rosso-Ferarri: Alguersauri/TBC TD: TBC
1 Malasia-Renault: TBC/TBC TD: TBC
Hispania-Cosworth: Ebay
Virgin-Cosworth: Glock/TBC TD: TBC

Seemingly theres more to play for in the drivers market than what we really think.
Sutil is an uncertainty; I would say Luizi and Diresta are more likely to stay.
For Sure!!