Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph
zeph

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Let's see how that race pans out tomorrow.

Barichello has definitely had a better season and to discard him because Hulkenberg got a pole position would be ludicrous.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

It's been close between the two drivers but Hulkenberg has put Williams back in the sports headlines. That has got to go some way to making up for rookie mistakes earlier in the year. Given the experience of Patrick Head I doubt he will make a wrong decision.

As for the risk of being laughed at, this is the team that sacked Damon Hill after he got a championship. I doubt they are too concerned about public opinion.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its looking increasingly likley that there will be a williams team of Barrichello/Maldanado next year, but williams are looking at farming out Hulkenberg and or Bottas next year to Hispania.

Reason, they need Barrichello for another year to sort out problems, also they need Hulkenberg to keep racing in F1 and they need the money from Maldanado.

Its looking like Maldanado will be in the Hispania for both the Pirelli days and the first young driver day as Dean Stoneman will be in the Williams for the first young driver day. This way he gets used to the Williams car and get used to the Pirelli rubber.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

zeph
zeph

That from the team who were 'talking' to Raikkonen? Big surprise.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Petrov - Renault

So as the season draws to a close, has Petrov done enough to secure a seat at Renault next year?

IMHO he has been an absolute nightmare for the team, DNF Japan and Korea, dropping 6 places at Brazil, scoring 19 points to his teammates 129.

Renault Should look at Nick Heidfeld for a drive next year
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

netoperek
netoperek

Re: Petrov - Renault

I still think Petrov has the speed, but this season showed that he hasn't got guts to drive in F1. Sorry Witalij, You just don't fit, even with Your sponsors money. Renault would earn more defeating Mercedes with 2 decent drivers than from russian money imho.

axle
axle

If like Hulkenberg he'd started slowly and improved I'd say keep him. But he hasn't.
- Axle

timbo
timbo

I hope he has a chance next year.
Lack of testing really hurts all rookies, even Hulkenberg with all the promises needed more that half season to get to grips with F1, and is still far behind Barichello points-wise.
Out of all rookies this year Petrov has the toughest competition within a team with Kubica, that's for sure.
And he also had his share of bad luck.
But he definitely shown he has speed and his race-driver craft (overtaking and defending) seems surprisingly good.
But if he stays, he has to do karting all winter. He really suffers from not having that experience.

zmiles2
zmiles2

I would love to see Hulkenberg at Renault next year if he loses his seat it Williams
Zach Miles- Purdue University
"Who's call was it to bring me in?...Frickin Terrible idea"
-Lewis Hamilton

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Answer, no.

And if Hulkenberg dosnt stay at Williams for 2011, he will probably drive for Hispanis in a Cosworth powered, Williams transmissioned, Modified Toyota TF110.

Mod, can this thread be merged with the Silly Season thread to keep board clutter to a minimum???
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 11 Nov 2010, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: done

lolzi
lolzi

timbo wrote:But if he stays, he has to do karting all winter. He really suffers from not having that experience.
How so?

segedunum
segedunum

ESPImperium wrote:http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... -SearchBox

It just gets sillier!!!
I'm assuming you're referring to Renault 'talking' to Webber, Heidfeld and Sutil, as well all knew they were, just as they were 'talking' to Raikkonen as if he was the only driver they were talking to?

I think it's a dead cert there will be some movement at Renault. Petrov's performances make no financial sense. As for who, I don't think anything will get sorted until January.

segedunum
segedunum

As for Webber, interesting that it's Vettel doing the Pirelli test days. Could be nothing, but still.

Giblet
Giblet

From a cue card interview I read with Vettel in F1 Magazine, his speed is directly related to his knowledge and feel for tires. His history was not one involving lots of wealth, and as a young racer, since tires for karts was prohibitively expensive for his parents, especially wet weather tires, he often used his slicks far longer in the wet than his contemporaries. Red Bull, admittedly building their team around him, might be better served in the short and long term around his input. He is the faster qualifier, which means to me that he might have a little better input on the tire side than Webber.

Amazing how a couple tenths in qualy can mean so much. Such a knife edge sport no wonder I love it so much :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute