Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Re: Petrov - Renault

lolzi wrote:
timbo wrote:But if he stays, he has to do karting all winter. He really suffers from not having that experience.
How so?
He really suffers on tracks he doesn't know. Over the weekend he usually progresses, but I have impression that it takes him more time to get best lines and feel for the track. I think is that he just have limited experience track-wise. Once you drive enough circuits it's become generally easier to learn and find limits on various tracks.
He also seem to work too much with the steering usually, for once it shows his reflexes and in great shape, but usually by not going too deep into the limit and being a tad smoother you can actually be faster.

lolzi
lolzi

Re: Petrov - Renault

timbo wrote:
lolzi wrote:
timbo wrote:But if he stays, he has to do karting all winter. He really suffers from not having that experience.
How so?
He really suffers on tracks he doesn't know. Over the weekend he usually progresses, but I have impression that it takes him more time to get best lines and feel for the track. I think is that he just have limited experience track-wise. Once you drive enough circuits it's become generally easier to learn and find limits on various tracks.
He also seem to work too much with the steering usually, for once it shows his reflexes and in great shape, but usually by not going too deep into the limit and being a tad smoother you can actually be faster.
I wouldn't think that any of that is directly related to karting. Those problems seem to me to have a better solution: drive a simulator. That should teach him the tracks and how to properly drive an F1 car.

raymondu999

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Giblet wrote:From a cue card interview I read with Vettel in F1 Magazine, his speed is directly related to his knowledge and feel for tires. His history was not one involving lots of wealth, and as a young racer, since tires for karts was prohibitively expensive for his parents, especially wet weather tires, he often used his slicks far longer in the wet than his contemporaries. Red Bull, admittedly building their team around him, might be better served in the short and long term around his input. He is the faster qualifier, which means to me that he might have a little better input on the tire side than Webber.

Amazing how a couple tenths in qualy can mean so much. Such a knife edge sport no wonder I love it so much :)
Are you talking about F1 Racing magazine? Which issue? I haven't seen Vettel on it... the last two have been Jake Humphrey and Colin Kolles, if I remember correctly
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

segedunum
segedunum

Very, very odd performance from Webber today. Even yesterday he was still in a position where the championship was achievable and he acted very, very strange, almost completely non-committal. He cruised through most of the race and put no pressure on Alonso whatsoever. That and the fact that he won't be at the Pirelli test next week just all but confirms to me that Webber will not be there next season. Very strange.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

segedunum wrote:Very, very odd performance from Webber today. Even yesterday he was still in a position where the championship was achievable and he acted very, very strange, almost completely non-committal. He cruised through most of the race and put no pressure on Alonso whatsoever. That and the fact that he won't be at the Pirelli test next week just all but confirms to me that Webber will not be there next season. Very strange.
I am thinking the same thing. Also the fact that Daniel Riccardo had been saying that he will be in F1 or GP2 next year is another fact for me. That either says that Webber is moving on for pastures new or Sebastian Buemi is on the way out of Faenza. Also the rumor that Alguersauri is to have a half day in the Red Bull on the Pirellis is another nail in the Mark Webber @ Red Bull coffin.

I could see Mark Webber, contary to what he has said after the heat of battle today, once the dust settles will call time on his F1 career in the nest few weeks, Alguersauri to be promoted from Toro Rosso to Red Bull and Daniel Riccardo to be installed into STR-Ferarri alongside Buemi.

If Webber is there in 2011, great.

Giblet
Giblet

raymondu999 wrote:
Giblet wrote:From a cue card interview I read with Vettel in F1 Magazine, his speed is directly related to his knowledge and feel for tires. His history was not one involving lots of wealth, and as a young racer, since tires for karts was prohibitively expensive for his parents, especially wet weather tires, he often used his slicks far longer in the wet than his contemporaries. Red Bull, admittedly building their team around him, might be better served in the short and long term around his input. He is the faster qualifier, which means to me that he might have a little better input on the tire side than Webber.

Amazing how a couple tenths in qualy can mean so much. Such a knife edge sport no wonder I love it so much :)
Are you talking about F1 Racing magazine? Which issue? I haven't seen Vettel on it... the last two have been Jake Humphrey and Colin Kolles, if I remember correctly
It was near the beginning of the season I believe. Not a super recent issue.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum
segedunum

ESPImperium wrote:Also the rumor that Alguersauri is to have a half day in the Red Bull on the Pirellis is another nail in the Mark Webber @ Red Bull coffin.
Wow. Hadn't heard that one but that'll nail it if true. I can't imagine anything getting sorted before January so it'll be a fun winter anyway. :D

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

No wonder he let Webber past and then blocked Massa.

vall
vall

segedunum
segedunum

A paying driver is the end for Williams. Teams never get out of that cycle and move up the grid when that happens. I suppose they have little choice, but still, that's what happens.

Giblet
Giblet

If the pay driver can bring a large sponsor, than hopefully that money can move the team ahead more than that driver hinders them.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum
segedunum

It's never happened in all the years that I've seen paying drivers come in. It keeps the team afloat and little more.

ringo

Well it could work if they get rid of barichello as well and go for a really fast driver to put the resources to good use.
The pay driver brings the dough to develope the car, and the ace driver should at least win with the car.
The hard part is keeping a rookie pay driver in the points, it will be a difficult season with only 1 car carrying the team.

Petrov and Kubica are the perfect example. If Renault had an experienced driver they may have easily grabbed 4rth and possibly 3rd. To say if the points prize money would equate to petrov's sponsors' is disputable.

On the other side of things, 2 good drivers could generate the funds throughout the season by scoring good points.
For Sure!!

vall
vall

segedunum wrote:A paying driver is the end for Williams. Teams never get out of that cycle and move up the grid when that happens. I suppose they have little choice, but still, that's what happens.
Much like Hulk Maldorano won GP2, so he may be good actually. The only way to know is to put them in F1 car. Without the chance given him by Toyota where would Kobayashi be today?

raymondu999

I don't think this year's GP2 contenders are quite of the same talent level as previous GP2 people though. I could be wrong, but doesn't seem like it to me.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法