Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

mith wrote:And where was he during last few years?
With the exception of Honda, in pretty damn good cars.

Giblet
Giblet

andrew wrote:
timbo wrote:
andrew wrote:Hulkenberg out of Williams is a big mistake. They should have put Barrichello out of our misery and kept a young, fast and up and coming driver. 17 years of mediocrity is surely enough?
This year is a first in quite a few that their development actually produced results.
I'm pretty certain Barichello was a factor in this.
Not sure about that, particularly when there is someone like Patrick Head in the team.
Rubens has setup knowledge from more than one Championship winning car. Disregarding his knowledge and general decent pace would be a mistake for sure.

He can not be entirely attributed to their success, but Hulkenbergs overdriving for most of the year would do very little for usable data and feedback.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Hulkenberg has done pretty well for a rookie and deserves a drive for next year. But I guess with Williams losing a couple major sponsors moeny talks louder that talent.

Giblet
Giblet

From what I gather he was offered a 5 year contract but he would have to drive for HRT or test for one year. It would have been a good place to outpace his teammate with no major pressure for results other than that.

He declined and might have hurt his short term prospects. The guy's got talent, but that is just a foot in the door.

Also, the rumors are Williams have secured a major sponsor for 2011 and are soon to make an announcement which is why Pastor is being farmed to HRT.

They don't need a pay driver for 2011, or one that comes with engines like Nakajima did.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

lebesset
lebesset

when the beeb asked webber if he would be driving for RBR next year he just said

yes

not very convincing
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

timbo
timbo

andrew wrote:Not sure about that, particularly when there is someone like Patrick Head in the team.
Excuse me, but was he absent last couple of years?

gridwalker
gridwalker

I've seen a few trackside interviews with Patrick Head over the past few seasons : he is definitely still about in some capacity ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:Buemi is good enough. Those STR drivers are probably doing the best they can with the car.
Not convinced. Buemi has been under pressure for some time to the point where his relationship with the management has been under strain, and while there will be some celebration I think Adrian Newey will be thinking about why they didn't win the championship far earlier.
Last edited by segedunum on 15 Nov 2010, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

segedunum
segedunum

Giblet wrote:Also, the rumors are Williams have secured a major sponsor for 2011 and are soon to make an announcement which is why Pastor is being farmed to HRT.
Well, for William's sake one can only hope that's true. It's strange that Hulkenberg will be leaving then. Either they're not convinced or there might well be a sponsor preference for a certain driver.

Giblet
Giblet

Rosberg has shown that an apprenticeship at Williams if done right (beating your teammates handily) will not hinder your F1 career. I think the fact that Hulkenbergs offered contract was for 5 years might have been the tipping point. Having a guy like Willi Weber barking in your ear might help as well.

segedunum
segedunum

Hulkenberg could attach himself to Mercedes as a test driver and come into the Merc fold when Michael Schumacher moves on, maybe in a year or two or even earlier. The right connections are there.

I'm not sure he'd want to get lost at Hispania or Force India so he might have been right to turn anything else he was offered down.

segedunum
segedunum

It's rumoured that Maldonado's funding is not all it's cracked up to be, so the plot thickens.

Giblet
Giblet

From Autosport:

Horner added that Webber will definitely be back with Red Bull next year, and praised the Australian's effort this season.

"Mark is a big part of our team, he is a tremendous driver and he will have another chance next year," he said. "He's pushed Sebastian all the way this year and there has been very little to choose between them at times. It's see-sawed in form between the two of them.

Giblet
Giblet

Looks even more like Webber is staying put from recent comments.

"Of course Mark will stay on, no doubt about it," said Mateschitz. "The whole 'dream team' - maybe that's exaggerated, but I think it's true - will remain together. They all got even more bound together by that success.

segedunum
segedunum

Well, Webber is an extremely lucky boy if that's the case. I just couldn't believe how he simply appeared to throw the towel in, through his interview after qualifying and his speed in the race versus Vettel.

They managed to win both championships Red Bull, but they should have won them a lot earlier. I can't help but feel that both Webber and Vettel didn't get the most out of that car when the competition was closer. It was hardly a 'dream team'. At 6' 2" and heavier than other drivers Webber is going to be at a massive disadvantage next season with added KERS weight - but maybe that's the point. :wink:

To be honest, even if Red Bull have an equally great car next season I'd be quite happy if I was their rivals right now.