Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
donskar
donskar

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Yet the F1 team principals rate Hulk equal to Massa, tied for 8th best F1 driver. "Felipe Massa also figured in the top ten, coming in eighth equal with Hulkenberg on 17 points."

I couldn't care less about Hulkenberg. I do think the principal's rating is interesting (Alonso rated #1) and worth noting.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Giblet
Giblet

It seems to me that Hulk must have done something to put the team against him. Talent-wise he may have been worth keeping but I have this nagging feeling he might have been less than a team player.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Lack of sponsorship money screwed him. Hulkenberg has been involved with Williams for quite a while.

timbo
timbo

andrew wrote:Lack of sponsorship money screwed him. Hulkenberg has been involved with Williams for quite a while.
I think that Sir Frank also is not very fond of Mr.Weber.

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:Look on kobayashi, who'd of thought he would be this good based on his gp history?
Kobayashi looked good, then looked very ordinary then looked better. People have short memories.
Mark this post. Maldonado will do a better job than the Hulk.
There's nothing to base that on. He's had umpteen bites of the cherry at GP2 and has never done anything Earth shattering. He's in because of the money, if it ever materialises that is.
Frank did the right thing. Let Hulk go, get money to make the car better and to develope it throughout the year.
The problem for Williams is that once you get into a cycle of paying drivers you never get out of it until you inevitably get bought out or go bust. It keeps you afloat but what it doesn't do is move you forwards.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

timbo wrote:
andrew wrote:Lack of sponsorship money screwed him. Hulkenberg has been involved with Williams for quite a while.
I think that Sir Frank also is not very fond of Mr.Weber.
Might also be part of the problem.

Considering that Sir Frank, i think, was wanting or waiting for the Dekra and Dutche Vermogensberatung sponsor money that got him thrugh from F3 Euroseries to GP2. That money simply did not appear and Frank was simply pissed off with Hulkenberg not learning from Rubens and beating him quick enough and Willy Weber interfearing somehow broke the cammels back with Hulkenberg and Williams.

I recon that there will be a few more announcements this week coming. Mainly Hispania and Virgin for me. As id expect teams to want to finalise their driver lineups ASAP.

Intego

Seems like Petrov will stay at Genii now. My guessing:
RB, MCL, Ferrari, MGP are clear.
Renault: Kubica & Petrov
Williams: Barrichello & Maldonado
FI: Sutil & di Resta, if VJM doesn't find a big sponsor to race with Chandhok or Karthikeyan in India
Sauber: Kobayashi & Perez
STR: Algersuari & Ricciardo
Virgin: Glock & Aleshin
HRT: de la Rosa & Yamamoto, if he has money that's fast enough
Lotus: Kovalainen & Senna, because Fernandes will make an Ayrton Senna-like livery and so has Senna back in the Lotus just to kick Renault
Aleshin and Petrov though could change cockpits.

Nick Heidfeld will be test driver at MGP for the rest of his life, Hülkenberg replaces Badoer at Ferrari, and if Perez doesn't bring results in the Sauber, the Hulk will be parked there.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

raymondu999

Can anyone imagine what will happen,(if senna is in Lotus) when Senna, with his helmet (which is a lot like his uncle's), in the black & gold Lotus, opens his visor? That would be like seeing a ghost, I guess
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:Can anyone imagine what will happen,(if senna is in Lotus) when Senna, with his helmet (which is a lot like his uncle's), in the black & gold Lotus, opens his visor? That would be like seeing a ghost, I guess
The car will not look the same though the ghost thing you mentioned will be really something. Senna revived somehow for 2011 :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ringo

Intego wrote:Seems like Petrov will stay at Genii now. My guessing:
RB, MCL, Ferrari, MGP are clear.
Renault: Kubica & Petrov
Williams: Barrichello & Maldonado
FI: Sutil & di Resta, if VJM doesn't find a big sponsor to race with Chandhok or Karthikeyan in India
Sauber: Kobayashi & Perez
STR: Algersuari & Ricciardo
Virgin: Glock & Aleshin
HRT: de la Rosa & Yamamoto, if he has money that's fast enough
Lotus: Kovalainen & Senna, because Fernandes will make an Ayrton Senna-like livery and so has Senna back in the Lotus just to kick Renault
Aleshin and Petrov though could change cockpits.

Nick Heidfeld will be test driver at MGP for the rest of his life, Hülkenberg replaces Badoer at Ferrari, and if Perez doesn't bring results in the Sauber, the Hulk will be parked there.
buemi?
For Sure!!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

raymondu999 wrote:Can anyone imagine what will happen,(if senna is in Lotus) when Senna, with his helmet (which is a lot like his uncle's), in the black & gold Lotus, opens his visor? That would be like seeing a ghost, I guess
Have to say that I can't and don't intend trying.

Intego

I've no solution for Buemi. STR says, he's secured, but who knows.
Though I'd place no bets for my list. :-"
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Now looking at it im thinking this for 2011:

01/02 - Red Bull-Renault = Vettel/Webber T&RD: Vergne
03/04 - McLaren-Mercedes = Hamilton/Button TD: de la Rosa DD: Turvey
05/06 - Scuderia Ferrari = Alonso/Massa TD: Fisichella RD: Bianchi
07/08 - Mercedes GP = Schumacher/Rosberg T&RD: Hulkenberg
09/10 - Lotus Renault GP = Kubica/Petrov TD: di Grassi RD: D'Ambrosio
11/12 - Williams-Cosworth = Barrichello/Maldanado T&RD: Bottas
14/15 - Force India-Mercedes = Sutil/Di Resta TD: da Costa
16/17 - Sauber-Ferarri = Kobiyashai/Perez TD: Guiteriez
18/19 - Toro Rosso-Ferarri = Buemi/Alguersauri TD: Riccardo (For first 9-12 races anyways)
20/21 - Team Lotus-Renault = Trulli/Kovalinenn TD: Senna
22/23 - Hispania-Cosworth = Valsecchi/Van Der Garde TD: Klien
24/25 - Virgin-Cosworth = Glock/Aleshin TD: Razzia

OUT - Heidfeld to BMW DTM 2012 programme
OUT - Chandhok
OUT - Yamamotto
OUT - Liuzzi to DTM or LMS

Id say that there could be a few curveballs to come. Id recon someone like Felipe Albuquerque or Jozef Kral maybes even Dani Clos could be in with a shout at Hispania, maybes even if Van Der Garde oe D'Ambrosio dont get a run out at Virgin, they could do a deal at Hispania. I feel the key seats are now down to Force India and Hispania could be decisive on where drivers apply their trade in 2011.

ringo

Giblet wrote:It seems to me that Hulk must have done something to put the team against him. Talent-wise he may have been worth keeping but I have this nagging feeling he might have been less than a team player.
He had a few temper tantrums as well, throwing his helmet, kicking the armco.
Something tells me he has a bit of an ego and thinks he's better than he really is.

Right now my mind is clear of Hulkenberg, I'm looking forward to Maldonado.
Hulk never impressed me much. He deserves to be in F1, but he doesn't tip the scales against Hugo Chavez' boy and the Venezualan money. :lol:
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

The Lotus and Genii folks have all but confirmed Petrov. They say they want him and he wants Renault, but he has two weeks of recovery time after some eye surgery.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute