Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

esbjornzon wrote:those wheelcovers surely can't be legal, can they? There were even rule changes to keep teams from doing like Ferrari did with their rims last year.
Er, what wheel covers? There is depth in both wheels...its the shading that gives the impression of wheel covers. Look closer.

Can anyone increase the light aspect on the picture to see if there are any details we can find on the jpg image?

Thank you in advance.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ringo

It doesn't work, they erased parts of the car. :lol:
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:It doesn't work, they erased parts of the car. :lol:
Crafty so and so's! :lol:

Ok from observing this car for a few minutes at very close resolution(nose up to the screen job) I can see a few things on the car.

1)It will not have a shark fin(The sort extending out to the rear like all the 2010 versions, still legal in 2011 but not within 50mm of the rear wing)

2)it will have a smoother nose more akin to the Virgin VR01 than the disjointed effort we saw on the W01. It could be Red Bull reminiscent, but there is just not enough detail to see wether it is full on platypus nose or not.

3)It will have Sauber style front wing supports.

4)Very intriguing sidepod/wingmirror action going down. Just what exactly are Mercedes up to there?

The rest is blotted out intentionally. But it gives a tantalising glimpse... and other questions remain ...pullrod or pushrod? :wink:
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

Try not to get to fixated on Pullrod vs pushrod. Itmeans very little in the overall layout of the car.

ringo

Looking at the ferrari i wont be surprised if we see terms like squeeze and twist rod. The talk of interconnecting suspensions is buzzing around.

The mirrors now, they could be connected to the floor; maybe by a tall barge board, a little loop hole perhaps.
For Sure!!

hotochan
hotochan

Last edited by hotochan on 30 Jan 2011, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Seems to match up with the teaser. That is one fat airbox! And I hate to say it, but the nose looks pretty much copy-pasted from another car...

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... cedes.html

FrukostScones

Well, thats nice. Thanks. Hope it the real deal! Let's go to the newsstandddddddd...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Morteza

Ah! You should have said spoiler alert! :wink: Thanks for the pics guys :D It matches the teaser so this is the long-awaited W02.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

djones
djones

I doubt thats the car, it will be some random blokes guess.

Anyway....

I wonder how much time they have put into the front of the car compared to other teams. You would have to think their primary goal for the W02 was front grip for MS. To that end I'm epxecting to see something totally different at the front, maybe even revolutionary.

People keep going on about pull rod (or is it push rod) for the rear of the cars. To be honest I dont understand it, but are there any new front end configurations people could end up using?
Last edited by djones on 30 Jan 2011, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So my predictions of a Red Bull style have come through quite emphatically. That nose is pure Red Bull no doubt about it.

Further back it seems Mercedes have gone for Mclaren style sidepods(MP4-24) which will no doubt be because of KERS. Also, from the news story that goes with the pics, it seems Mercedes have 2 versions of this car already. And that the initial test will just be for tyre data, before the final honing of any bits they want to keep quite gets added for the last couple of tests.

Oh and the new paint job is a bit nice too!

Overall I m happy to see this direction from Merc, more adventurous frontally than Ferrari...but we shall see what it can do on the track
David Purley

ell66
ell66

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So my predictions of a Red Bull style have come through quite emphatically. That nose is pure Red Bull no doubt about it.

Further back it seems Mercedes have gone for Mclaren style sidepods(MP4-24) which will no doubt be because of KERS. Also, from the news story that goes with the pics, it seems Mercedes have 2 versions of this car already. And that the initial test will just be for tyre data, before the final honing of any bits they want to keep quite gets added for the last couple of tests.

Oh and the new paint job is a bit nice too!

Overall I m happy to see this direction from Merc, more adventurous frontally than Ferrari...but we shall see what it can do on the track
you dont even know if that is the car....infact id be suprised if it is. just have some patience and wait two more days.

volarchico
volarchico

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So my predictions of a Red Bull style have come through quite emphatically. That nose is pure Red Bull no doubt about it.
It looks more like the Toyota's (TF110) platypus nose than the Red Bull's? Very flat and high nose, whereas the Red Bull drooped just a bit at front. And like ell66 says, I could easily see this being a "artist rendition" and not the real-deal.

EDIT: Added which Toyota I was referring to.
Last edited by volarchico on 30 Jan 2011, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Photo looks almost too processed for my liking.

Morteza

djones wrote:I doubt thats the car, it will be some random blokes guess.
Perhaps you are right, and I hope you are right. Why would they publish this picture with only two days to go until the official presentation? Let's wait until Tuesday for the real car to be revealed, and then we can realize if this is the true picture or not.
Last edited by Morteza on 30 Jan 2011, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare