Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP W02

What happened to the black tinge in the livery? Did that get scrapped?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

djones wrote:Told you it was a rendering.

This TF people keep mentioning. What is it?

The last Toyota before they pulled out or something??
Pay up!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

Were there any disadvantages with last year's air box configuration?

PlatinumZealot

maybe we will see it again on the 2nd version of the W02.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

djones
djones

n smikle wrote:

Pay up!
Pay what up? Its not the real car, you do realise that???

Formula None
Formula None

Giblet wrote:2011 - Year of the Platypus
:lol: Agreed, most teams will converge on this nose design it seems. But which team will unveil webbed wheels or a paddle tail? Too soon to tell, but let's just hope MGP don't lay an egg again this year.
n smikle wrote:

Pay up!
Seconded.

raymondu999

djones wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Pay up!
Pay what up? Its not the real car, you do realise that???
Yep, but it's an endorsed rendering :mrgreen:
Formula None wrote:
Giblet wrote:2011 - Year of the Platypus
:lol: Agreed, most teams will converge on this nose design it seems. But which team will unveil webbed wheels or a paddle tail? Too soon to tell, but let's just hope MGP don't lay an egg again this year.
The F150 nose doesn't seem too platypuslike. It looked more like the MP4-25, in fact
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Formula None
Formula None

raymondu999 wrote: The F150 nose doesn't seem too platypuslike. It looked more like the MP4-25, in fact
That's true, maybe we can meet half way and dub it the echidna nose?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ok guys lets set a few things straight.

As Myurr pointed out, this is a composite picture. Basically the real thing relayed through a computer and touched up here and there. But there is now no doubt it is the real deal, I cannot wait to see the new livery in daylight.

Secondly and very interestingly, many people have compared the front of the car to the unraced Toyota TF110. Well there just so happens to be a few Personell working for Mercedes that used to be at Toyota.
A prominent memeber of which is this fellow, Toshi Iguchi who was senior development engineer. Some forums online reckon he brought with him a few engineers from Toyota Gmbh, and looking at this car, its very clear to see he may have done.

Then as NewtonMeter very poignantly pointed out, the rear of the car is pretty much hidden. I love the front end, but if the rear follows a conservative route, it will tinge me with some dissappointment. I would say after seeing the departure Mercedes have done with the nose and airbox all bets are off as far as what is going on back there! 8)

Finally, we have some word that Mercedes will be looking to unleash a W02.1 at some tage during the tests. Perhaps we would see different airbox. But if you bear with me on this, here is what Mercedes could be doing.

Bear in mind the stakes Mercedes have put on this, and brawn saying they have some exciting things to come. We may see Mercedes do back to back tests between a Pull rod W02 and a pushrod W02. I could be wrong, it may not even be plausible as the rear forms part of the crash structure. But I dont think the suspension mounts would change the crash structure if it was designed to change between the 2.

My 2 cents and I know its ridiculous, just floating the idea.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Formula None wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: The F150 nose doesn't seem too platypuslike. It looked more like the MP4-25, in fact
That's true, maybe we can meet half way and dub it the echidna nose?
Won't be long before we get a hippogriff nose too :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mep

csponton wrote:Mercedes GP MW02
Brawn, always by the Bild interview, admitted that the version we will see that since Feb. 1 in Valencia will be an intermediate version, as is expected by the third or the fourth race at most a remarkable evolution of the car. KERS will be the strong point made by Mercedes to be very compact and lightweight and can not therefore affect the balance of the car.
????
Did I got this wrong or are they really going to bring a new car after some races.
I mean wtf they had sooo much time and they failed to have the car ready for first race like all the other teams do.
If this is true I am disappointed by them. They knew quite soon in 2010 that they have no chance to win and could concentrate on this car.
It should be ready for first race, that’s a very fix deadline if you fail it its very very embarrassing.

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Bear in mind the stakes Mercedes have put on this, and brawn saying they have some exciting things to come. We may see Mercedes do back to back tests between a Pull rod W02 and a pushrod W02. I could be wrong, it may not even be plausible as the rear forms part of the crash structure. But I dont think the suspension mounts would change the crash structure if it was designed to change between the 2.

My 2 cents and I know its ridiculous, just floating the idea.
As much as I like the idea, I don't think that's feasible...it would be a huge waste of (already pretty limited compared to other teams) resources. Wouldn't it?
Based on old Ross Brawn's interviews, I think they will just implement a pull-rod rear suspension.

FrukostScones

omg, stop. please read this (source bild.de):

Another secret: Mercedes is building for the attack on Champion Vettel even two cars! Brawn said: "A first version of our cars will drive in Valencia and Jerez in the tests. This is the "vanilla ice-Mercedes pure" - the basic version. But we have a new tire manufacturers, because we need every mile to meet the gums. The second car with other innovations, we bring only the third and fourth test. "

With the predecessor of the W02 MPG managed Schumacher and Nico Rosberg last year, barely, Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren to be angry. That should change now. Brawn: "We start and say: We want to win. Only he who wins, can think on. If this is achieved, we can talk about the World Cup. Our goal: to compete in the first race in Bahrain with a chance of winning. "

And please stop bashing djones. I am still not 100% sure that the W02 will look like the rendering. We will see on tuesday!
Last edited by FrukostScones on 30 Jan 2011, 22:30, edited 3 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Possibly luca, but there are alot of things Mercedes will want to try before the season starts so as they dont start out 0.8 seconds behind. The W01 was a dead end, |Mercedes may be looking at how to make the W02 a more solid base.

Which brings me nicely onto mep's post. If a team has 2 options on a design with a 50/50 split then its up to the management as to where the team goes.
And that is Brawn's decision, I wouldnt start questioning the man.

There is also the small matter of Mercedes finding updates that work with their design and can integrate them neatly before the start of the season.
They had more time which means they can find more things. Looking at it saying "the car isnt ready" is totally incorrect.

We havent seen a wheel turn. Maybe Mercedes have somthing akin to the F-duct that needs fine tuning before its added to the final concept. Ferrari have said exactly the same thing yet no one has levelled the accusation at them.
2011 will see all teams make numerous changes to their cars before the start of the season because there are changes to:

Tyres
Distribution
Diffusers
Active rear wings
KERS
EBD integration into all teams(apart from red bull who perfected it)

They will all be looking at pushing the envelope.

I would say if the W02 DIDNT change between now and the first GP in 41 days time, I would be most dissapointed. Thats F1, the nature of the beast.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

what if they start testing with the 2010 transmission and adopt the pullrod in asecond step? the one thing would be they would need to have a common crashstructure for these two,removing the possibilty to change the vertical positioning of the diff...

I read about the 2nd car they want to introduce ..but for the last test....?