Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
luca
luca

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Of course they are going to change and refine things before the first race, based on the data gathered during the tests. It would be disappointing and quite worrying otherwise.
But some components are homologated and others cannot be changed that quickly. Also, I don't think that having a "common crash structure" and compromising other components around the rear suspension (in order to have the opportunity to fit both a push-rod and a pull-rod) will help them make the best car possible because, as a result, not all of the components will be optimized, and the competition is stronger than ever. Surely a middle ground solution will not make the best packaging.

PlatinumZealot

djones wrote:
n smikle wrote:
djones wrote:Told you it was a rendering.

This TF people keep mentioning. What is it?

The last Toyota before they pulled out or something??
Pay up!
Pay what up? Its not the real car, you do realise that???
:lol:

You said it was rendered by some random bloke!, inferring that it was a fake.
Well, it actually is the WO2; be it CAD file, rendering, wind-tunnel model, toy, photo, interim spec, painting, whatever medium, it's an official Image from Mercedes GP.

8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JohnsonsEvilTwin

luca wrote:Of course they are going to change and refine things before the first race, based on the data gathered during the tests. It would be disappointing and quite worrying otherwise.
But some components are homologated and others cannot be changed that quickly. Also, I don't think that having a "common crash structure" and compromising other components around the rear suspension (in order to have the opportunity to fit both a push-rod and a pull-rod) will help them make the best car possible because, as a result, not all of the components will be optimized, and the competition is stronger than ever. Surely a middle ground solution will not make the best packaging.
I agree, but the point is moot I think. I was floating the idea because of the tone of the media release. 2 different cars.
Of course we know they wont be different but like marcush said, they could have a W01 rear on the back of the W02, and bring the full beans to the fianl test.
Mercedes will be in Valencia with a pull rod rear. I stake a beer at the German GP on that...I know Xpensive will be reading this so the offer is there mate! :wink:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I doubt they would try and gather tyre data with a fundamental change to the suspension to be introduced at the first race.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I agree, but the point is moot I think. I was floating the idea because of the tone of the media release. 2 different cars.
Of course we know they wont be different but like marcush said, they could have a W01 rear on the back of the W02, and bring the full beans to the fianl test.
Yes, I guess they could to that. But that would require a certain amount of confidence, and after last year's issues, if I were them, I would be more worried about checking the technical aspects of the car than trying to sandbag.
Owen.C93 wrote:I doubt they would try and gather tyre data with a fundamental change to the suspension to be introduced at the first race.
Actually it would be at the last test session, but I agree with you anyway.
They really need to have the car as much suited to the tyres as possible.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

But knowing Mercedes GPs problems with tyres, going back to Brawn and even the Honda days, it is not unheard of that perhaps they are waiting on Pirellis final tyre.

Ferrari will be doing the same thing I feel, holding fire waiting for the final specs to be confirmed before adding anything to the car.

The W02 will be a test bed for what is to come. There may be a few avenues Mercedes want to explore but, given that Pirelli wont know exactly what there tyres will do, it much harder for a team to second guess the finer points when it hasn't even had the chance to run in anger.

Get the data, confirm back at base the stats you thought nearest your concept, then push forward with that. If you had a finalised car ready in Valencia with no plan B and the tyres didnt work, what then? W01 scenario all over again...nt as bad with the mandatory weight distribution but still a setback.
David Purley

luca
luca

Yes, that's right. But they have a "B" spec of the car which has already been planned (and in production) for the following tests, before Pirelli's final tyre anyway. So it must be some aerodynamic step.
Last edited by luca on 31 Jan 2011, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

When's the latest chassis' can be homogolated, or has that date already passed?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

luca wrote:Yes, that's right. But they have a "B" spec of the car which has already been planned (and in production) for the following tests, before Pirelli's final tyre anyway. So it must be some aerodynamical step.
Would it not be planned and put into production following the tests?
David Purley

luca
luca

vinuneuro wrote:When's the latest chassis' can be homogolated, or has that date already passed?
I don't know exactly, but the new chassis would have to be crash tested again, so that window's closing fast.

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
luca wrote:Yes, that's right. But they have a "B" spec of the car which has already been planned (and in production) for the following tests, before Pirelli's final tyre anyway. So it must be some aerodynamical step.
Would it not be planned and put into production following the tests?
It could be, but I think the time between Valencia and Jerez/Barcelona is not much, so they must be already prepared for it.

FrukostScones

They won't build a new chassis/monocoque. As far as I know the side pods can be altered as they are not part of the monocoque.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

luca
luca

FrukostScones wrote:They won't build a new chassis/monocoque. As far as I know the side pods can be altered as they are not part of the monocoque.
Yes, that's why last year they could not do anything about it. :(

King Six
King Six

luca wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:They won't build a new chassis/monocoque. As far as I know the side pods can be altered as they are not part of the monocoque.
Yes, that's why last year they could not do anything about it. :(
Weren't sidepods being changed around quite abit in previous seasons. I remember seeing some variations, asymmetrical pods etc..

luca
luca

King Six wrote:Weren't sidepods being changed around quite abit in previous seasons. I remember seeing some variations, asymmetrical pods etc..
Yes, they were. I was referring to the chassis, which is homologated instead.