Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Someone else surely already mentioned it but; this air box is very thick ! :shock:

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

vinuneuro wrote:Were there any disadvantages with last year's air box configuration?
n smikle wrote:maybe we will see it again on the 2nd version of the W02.
I don't have the link to hand but I remember reading in an article on autosport that FOTA agreed not use the air box design mercedes come up with for the W01.

volarchico
volarchico

Is it just me, or does all this talk about a "second car" seem to be coming from a translation issue. Maybe I've missed something (which is highly possible) but from what I've read, it looks more like they will have upgrades at each test and not so much an entirely different car.

And F1T has the 2011 rules change article which talks about the "ban on blade roll structures":

http://www.f1technical.net/features/15814

FrukostScones

volarchico wrote:Is it just me, or does all this talk about a "second car" seem to be coming from a translation issue. Maybe I've missed something (which is highly possible) but from what I've read, it looks more like they will have upgrades at each test and not so much an entirely different car.

And F1T has the 2011 rules change article which talks about the "ban on blade roll structures":

http://www.f1technical.net/features/15814
no, the original article really states that Mercedes will build a second car for the third test. But I guess it is the medias people own exaggeration and there will be only (major?)upgrades. Blade? I don't think so.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

volarchico
volarchico

FrukostScones wrote:no, the original article really states that Mercedes will build a second car for the third test. But I guess it is the medias people own exaggeration and there will be only (major?)upgrades. Blade? I don't think so.
With that last part, I was referring to Caerdroia's previous question about if roll-blade's were legal. However, I'm starting to question my answer now that I've seen the Lotus!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I think that the irony of Mercedes taking the roll blade ban literally but Lotus using a loophole is quite funny.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

mx_tifosi wrote:I think that the irony of Mercedes taking the roll blade ban literally but Lotus using a loophole is quite funny.
I don't think it's a loophole per se.
Blade hoop on Lotus us much thicker than on W01, and it's only a matter what is optimal solution. Given Mercedes knowledge of the blade hoop I don't think they missed the possibility but merely found the benefit is not that big to bother.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yeah, after more consideration I've come to the same conclusion. It's not so funny anymore.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mx_tifosi wrote:Yeah, after more consideration I've come to the same conclusion. It's not so funny anymore.
I would still like to know why the Mercedes air intake looks so bulky. Lotus may have the twin port design, but in all honesty their unit is even bulkier.
Ferrari's appears lithe in comparison to both of these.
More could have been done.
David Purley

mtec80
mtec80

@Johnson: Yes you are right, they look a little fat but I'm sure as they had enormous improvement in this area, this is not the last step (or wait until we see the rest. But when you compare the Ferrari with Mercedes you can see that the MGP sidepods are not as fat as the Ferrari ones. I do not mean the intake opening but the complete optic from the front view. This is where I am so disamointed about the Ferrai...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mtec80 wrote:@Johnson: Yes you are right, they look a little fat but I'm sure as they had enormous improvement in this area, this is not the last step (or wait until we see the rest. But when you compare the Ferrari with Mercedes you can see that the MGP sidepods are not as fat as the Ferrari ones. I do not mean the intake opening but the complete optic from the front view. This is where I am so disamointed about the Ferrai...
I agree the Mercedes sidepods look very neat. This probably has somthing to with KERS installation and cooling.
Does anyone know if the rollhoop/air intake forms part of the homologated parts?
More could have been done.
David Purley

wickerbill

I know that the FIA requires roll structure tests that teams must pass in order to compete so that gives me a clue that it may homologated...?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

We are looking at a render people, it is possibly they quickly changed the 3d model to a conventional airbox.

mtec80
mtec80

as an idea maybe some KERS components are stored in the engine cover - thats a better solution than storing the same in the sidepods as there you need to get the air around to feed the difusor (it needs all air to compensate the kastration this year)... I am really interested in the area of the engine cover and and end of sidepods / gear box cover...

@diesel: I am quite sure that this rendering is not 100 % of milimeters from the car which will be released tomorrow but the main lines will be the same - so we can assume to see the MGP W02 basic

aaaand maybe this rendering does not show the single roll structure blade included the air box as Mercedes presented the car last year... guys - this is still Ross Brawn, the only guy who beats Adrian Newey in the last 17 Years (except the two Renault accidents 2005 and 2006).
Last edited by mtec80 on 31 Jan 2011, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Never assume because when you assume you make an ASS-U-ME... an ass out of you and me.