Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mtec80
mtec80

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Sorry Diesel but you never know all the details from the cars (even you see the real car) so ALL of this posting are assumtions.

adrianjordan

mtec80 wrote:as an idea maybe some KERS components are stored in the engine cover - thats a better solution than storing the same in the sidepods as there you need to get the air around to feed the difusor (it needs all air to compensate the kastration this year)... I am really interested in the area of the engine cover and and end of sidepods / gear box cover...

@diesel: I am quite sure that this rendering is not 100 % of milimeters from the car which will be released tomorrow but the main lines will be the same - so we can assume to see the MGP W02 basic

aaaand maybe this rendering does not show the single roll structure blade included the air box as Mercedes presented the car last year... guys - this is still Ross Brawn, the only guy who beats Adrian Newey in the last 17 Years (except the two Renault accidents 2005 and 2006).
...and 2007 and 2008...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

gridwalker
gridwalker

mtec80 wrote:... guys - this is still Ross Brawn, the only guy who beats Adrian Newey in the last 17 Years (except the two Renault accidents 2005 and 2006).
The ONLY guy? What absolute rubbish.

What about Paddy Lowe, McLaren, 2008? Aldo Costa & Nicholas Tombazis, Ferrari, 2007?

*EDIT*
LOL @AdrianJordan : posted the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike and all that ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mtec80 wrote: I am really interested in the area of the engine cover and and end of sidepods / gear box cover...
+1

Well with Mercedes/Zytek KERS and Mercedes V8 power the car will have the best power train on the grid with Mclaren and Force India.
With the High nose we can also assume the car will be more aero efficient than the W01. So they start with very good raw materials.

What we cant see is what they have done at the back. Will it retain the W01 compact rear end?
There is a photo of the new F150 and how very compact the rear of the car is when viewed 3/4 on. Here is what I mean.

This is so tidy I had to look twice to see exactly how they did this with KERS and no refueling with pushrods!
Mercedes are rumoured to be going pullords so they will be looking at getting a backside like this one if possible. High nose + plus tiny rear = high aero efficiency according to various people.

That airbox has me worried though, looks like a barn door!
More could have been done.
David Purley

mtec80
mtec80

Ahhhhh sorry guys you're right 2007 and 2008 ok, ok ok :roll: there was something *lol* but was the 2007 Ferari not a Brwan/Byrne/Costa Car at all? Also it was no bad intension from my side regarding Lowe's McLaren - in my eyes a absolutley wonderful aggresive 2008 car but unfortunately not my favorite team :wink: ).

But its is still my opinion that Newey and Brawn are a class of theire own (Newey a little more than Brawn but his problem is that his cars sometimes are too agressive and therefore they are not reliable

mtec80
mtec80

Ahhhhh sorry guys you're right 2007 and 2008 ok, ok ok :roll: there was something *lol* but was the 2007 Ferari not a Brwan/Byrne/Costa Car at all? Also it was no bad intension from my side regarding Lowe's McLaren - in my eyes a absolutley wonderful aggresive 2008 car but unfortunately not my favorite team :wink: ).

But its is still my opinion that Newey and Brawn are a class of theire own (Newey a little more than Brawn but his problem is that his cars sometimes are too agressive and therefore they are not reliable

mtec80
mtec80

mtec80
mtec80

mtec80
mtec80

sorry for that - I've only submitted it one time ?! No Idea - can the moderator please delete the multiple entered messages?

raymondu999

mtec80 wrote:Ahhhhh sorry guys you're right 2007 and 2008 ok, ok ok :roll: there was something *lol* but was the 2007 Ferari not a Brwan/Byrne/Costa Car at all? Also it was no bad intension from my side regarding Lowe's McLaren - in my eyes a absolutley wonderful aggresive 2008 car but unfortunately not my favorite team :wink: ).

If I'm not wrong, the last Byrne car was in 2004, then in 2005 he was more of an advisor to Costa.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mtec80
mtec80

what I mean is that the 2007 Ferrari (which was developed in 2006)was the last one of the basic concept Brawn/Byrne - Costa joined in 2005 and was advised by Byrne, thats correct. Costas first onw car is the KERS Ferrari F60 (also a good concept but without luck due to DD from Brawn GP, William, Toyota and Cars without KERS like RedBull)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Okay dudes it was a small error,

Lets get the thread back on to the W02. :wink:
More could have been done.
David Purley

bugref
bugref

Got this on the headline of F1technical Page...
I am glad that they are adopting Redbulls Newey Design Cant wait to see this Car runs... Hope this time they are going to kick Ass...

raymondu999

Yep, and it's been posted here like 6 times, too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bugref
bugref

My Apology for spamming this Photo, considering how they perform last year, I was looking already to this years car design, looking at the design I am happy that they made some changes in respect to aerodynamics, I do hope with this design they can fight head on against the front runner last year.

Goodluck to Mr. Schumacher. With this car I hope you can prove that Old timer can still go at it. :D