2011 Endurance news

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Le Mans 2011 regulations

Look at that huge mass effect field generator :wtf:
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

My guess is this car is currently only eligible to run in events like the Nurburgring 24 hours....

If its made in numbers though maybe ACO might allow it to run in GT class. GT3R Hybrid did at last year's season closer at Zhuhai(and also ran in Petit Le Mans).

Pandamasque

I think the participation of 918 in N24 was announced about 6-9 months ago. That should fit in EXP1 class where Ferrari P4/5 should run. As for ACO they now have the 56th grid slot for especially invited entries showcasing alternative technologies. Also there's constant talk about 'test lab' possibly developing into something that would capable of winning Le Mans outright. The whole drive train already seems to conform to LMP1 regs. Maybe there's a brand new chassis being developed for 2012?

creedbratton
creedbratton

Formula None
Formula None

From Audi's recent test at Sebring:

Pandamasque

Can you post some links to sources with Sebring pics of other teams testing?

Formula None
Formula None

I found those on Audi USA's flickr stream.

Haven't found any others, who else tested?

Pandamasque

AFAIK, Highcroft (2.8 Turbo V6), RLR, some Lambos, possibly others.

This what I could find:

Meanwhile in the UK
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmnZxZty4c[/youtube]
Lola-Judd With 3.8 V8 based on the BMW production engine. Sounds fine by me. :)

Also the (somewhat) new Peugeot was unveiled today.

It's 908 HDi FAP 2011! Surprise! :roll:

Famin says the car is completely new apart from the windscreen wiper.
550-hp 3.7L 90' V8 Turbodiesel. No word on Hybrid tech... yet.

Unchanged driver line-up:
N°7 908: Alexander Wurz / Anthony Davidson / Marc Genе
N°8 908: Franck Montagny / Nicolas Minassian / Stеphane Sarrazin
N°9 908: Sébastien Bourdais / Pedro Lamy / Simon Pagenaud

more info

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Nice, seems like Peugeot is milking the 908 design for all its worth, and who could blame them since it is still the benchmark...

Formula None
Formula None

Well, its prettier than the R18. What is they say about race cars? The pretty ones are more expensive and less reliable? Wait, that's not right.

Pandamasque

Le Mans and ILMC 2011 entries

In other news:
59 entries for Sebring 12h!

Including:
the new Larbre Corvette

The 2011 spec 997 GT3 RSR (Flying Lizard) with paddleshift (drivers say they keep reaching the lever that's not there :) ).

the Gorgeous Cytosport AMR providing multiple visual and aural orgasms

LMP1 Lola-Mazda by Dyson lubricated by animal fat (well almost).

a mix of old and new Ferraris

...and more.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: 2011 Endurance news

All posts about the new 458 GT2 have been split into the following thread: Ferrari 458 GT
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

wesley123
wesley123

was on mulsannescorner just a minute ago and read thins (ironic) article;
It was reported on Wednesday of this week that Peugeot's 908 testing program suffered yet another massive shunt that has sent a car airborne and damaged a chassis. This is the second accident the 908 program has endured. Recall back to late last year, it was widely reported that Marc Gene had what was described as a massive off in testing at the Aragon circuit in Spain. Gene has this to say, via Autosport, in February of this year, "I'm not sure how much I am allowed to say, but I can tell you I am lucky to be here. It was the biggest accident I have ever had in my career. There was a failure, the car went sideways and the car went up in the air."

Given the unbridled speculation that has sprung up regarding these shunts, specifically the nature of the accidents, we're going to attempt to inject facts where we know them. For the moment Peugeot has not released any details, so admittedly we're being very presumptuous. But it is our understanding that the Gene accident that occurred last year was the result of a failure in the rear of the car, specifically a rear suspension failure of some kind. Details aren't forth coming. And we've been told unequivocally that the mechanical failure had nothing to do whatsoever with the spate of front suspension pickup point failures that the old 908 program suffered on occasion (the most recent, and public, was a pickup point failure in the Le Mans 24 last year). Ditto the nature of Wednesday's accident; another sources indicates it had nothing to do with the front end issues of the past.

Though the most disconcerting issue isn't the nature of the events that caused each accident, it's what happened after the car was suddenly pitched into an uncontrolled yaw. Recall that the 2004 spec underfloor regulations were designed to increase the car's critical take off speeds throughout the yaw range. This meant that, for instance, at 90 degrees this was around 192 km/h from 148 km/h. So in most cases throughout the yaw range the 2004 floor increased the critical take off speed by double-digit percentage points. And these numbers were substantial gains over the old flat floor LMP900 rules in some yaw cases. In 2009 a 20 mm domed skid was introduced in reaction to a flurry of blowovers the previous season. The skid raised ride heights and the dome (in transverse cross section) helped the car's yaw behavior. And the introduction of the shark fin was intended to further increase the critical take off speed. And it's our understanding that it works as advertised though to varying degrees, depending on the car it's applied to (open top, closed top, etc.), but that the net result is always a positive gain we're told. But ultimately none of the devices (spec 2004 floor, 20 mm domed skid, shark fin) claim to eliminate the possibility of sudden yaw induced flips. That needs to be firmly kept in mind.
What bothers me is the fact that the shark fin was supposed to further aid in such take offs. Of course we dont know the details but I expected more from the sharkfin.

Furthermore the first ARX-01e tub has (almost) arrived and is then ready to be assembled. Although this means it wont make it in time for the Sebring test.

Now with these c-d-e types running I am getting confused, was the e the 'special' Le Mans car?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pandamasque

wesley123 wrote:Now with these c-d-e types running I am getting confused, was the e the 'special' Le Mans car?
C = 2010 LMP2 car with 3.4 N/A V8
D = 2011 LMP2 car with a new 2.8 Turbo stock block V6
E = 2011 LMP1 car with a 3.4 N/A V8

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Whats happening with the Flying Lizard-Toyota entries???